Selecting the right "tools for the job" - what type of bike should I buy?

Sorry I misread your comment, Im so tired of hearing about 29ers. haha The OP is a complete puzzler

He must be have been in politics before based on how he answers questions.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More than what you can add 1 day to every year you are old.

Lucky you ... I am only on a count of 17 bikes that I have ridden on trails (Not counting silly parking lot tests).

Zero pivot is becoming popular .. ....

With aluminium, techniques like hydro-forming, butting, extrusion techniques and others are used to ensure surface tension that eliminates unwanted flex.

Zero Pivot is what Cannondale calls their flexible carbon chainstays on the Scalpel FS, that is what I was referring to

Since 'we' are drilling down into metallurgical detail here, how does hydro forming relate to surface tension?

Zero Pivot is what Cannondale calls their flexible carbon chainstays on the Scalpel FS, that is what I was referring to

Since 'we' are drilling down into metallurgical detail here, how does hydro forming relate to surface tension?

That is actually called a "soft-tail" if it doesn't have a pivot point, compared to a dual suspension with a pivot point - I'm not familiar with all the marketing terminology manufacturers use. Sorry- thought you were referring to real zero pivot :wacko:

If you bend a tube, the tube sides become thicker where it is bent and the thicker the sides, the easier it bends on that spot. Similar to taking the exact amount of metal to manufacture a tube and a rod of exactly the same lengths. The tube will be harder to bend than the rod due to the increase in surface and consequently surface tension. With hydro forming manufacturers succeed to retain sidewall thickness in tubes that are bent. I am no metallurgical expert or have detail on how they do it - more interested in the results.

That is actually called a "soft-tail" if it doesn't have a pivot point,

Yes and no, real soft tails are made from steel and titanium.

Go and google them, you will se what I am referring to.

Fortunately Mother Nature offers more than trails suitable for only 29ers - its all about riding style and preferences. The perfect bike has yet to be designed!

Excitement!

I have a Cannondale RZ 120 1 with mavic slr rims.

Make me an offer!

Ps: I will throw in a set of matching balance bangles ;)

For what?