New to MTB (Need alot o stuff)

123hannes321

Hi,

Going to pick up my first MTB today......Scott 10.

Now there are a lot of extras, helmet, gloves and pants with shirts.

Then, I wear glasses. Can see without them but struggle to see road signs and stuff....?

I am buying fron Cajees.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Going to pick up my first MTB today......Scott 10.

Now there are a lot of extras, helmet, gloves and pants with shirts.

Then, I wear glasses. Can see without them but struggle to see road signs and stuff....?

I am buying fron Cajees.

Ag. dont worry about road signs....no-one else does in SA anyway...!

rather ride with glasses. I once rode with contact lenses at a race (Magalies Monster) and they fell out, anyway it led to a massive headache due to straining...

When it comes to clothes, rather too tight than too loose as they tend to stretch over time.

Hey, welcome to the most awesome thing you can do with your clothes on.

My experience taught me this:

Got short gloves, but really... Now I only ride with long ones.

Started with baggies, went to cycling pant, and finally a bib - save money and head straight there if you plan to ride regularly.

Rigid shoes have been much better for me.

The only time I will ride without my Garmin 500 is when I upgrade to the 800. It's encouraging to see improvement and routes etc.

Until somebody comes up with a better sealed, mud clearing pedal with as much float as the current Time ones, they are the only ones I will use.

Enjoy

Oh ya, I had prescription Oakleys made for me. Lenses were done in Ireland through Designer Optical at Fourways crossing; they also do Adidas etc

Good to see another person getting into the sport ,

In terms of extra equipment , you would definitely need a helmet , look at the Lazer range they are well priced and good value for money , in terms of gloves pretty much anything is suitable for riding , and for pants and shirts you would have to look at what you want to spend and go from there .

In terms of riding glasses you can get ones that you can fit with prescription lenses , speak to your local optometrist about these .

So, riding with my normal glasses won’t look....you know...pinkish...?

Clothing is a problem because I will shred some weight. Not that I have many but tight shirts tend to expose the BELLY…..alot.

rather ride with glasses. I once rode with contact lenses at a race (Magalies Monster) and they fell out, anyway it led to a massive headache due to straining...

When it comes to clothes, rather too tight than too loose as they tend to stretch over time.

Good advice...nothing worse than a bib that doesn't fit well

I ride with my glasses. Never had a problem. You could get prescription ones done as mentioned before.

Don't skimp on the helmet and gloves. Bad gloves can turn a good ride into a horrible one.

Bad helmet can turn a good brain into mushy pea soup.

There are various shorts that you can buy. You don't have to buy the baggy shorts with a liner. Normal shorts will do just fine and you can wear a normal boardshort over it.

Clothing is a problem because I will shred some weight. Not that I have many but tight shirts tend to expose the BELLY…..alot.

Just buy some cheap shirts from Mr P (bought one last week for R160) until you are at your goal weight.

Most important is the helmet & gloves. The rest you'll quickly see in the ereas you need 'upgrading' / filling in like: pedals, shorts etc.

Enjoy!

Adidas are gonna be your most cost effective route for prescription lenses.(there are a few threads about this, so try out the search function)

The prescription inserts are not that great in my opinion, they get misted up pretty quickly, rather go for the full lens prescription.

Otherwise you need to try out contacts lenses.