Cycling with glasses

Giant

I bought a pair of Rudy Project Rydon Carbon glasses with photochromic lenses at CWC for R1500 and bought the RX insert with prescription lenses for R720 through my local optometrist. Discovery paid for the insert and lenses in full, I did not claim for the glasses. I have no issues with fogging.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I despair when I read responses to requests for advice and someone takes a dogmatic stand and dismisses all alternatives except the one he proposed.

Here however I am going to do just that.

I have struggled with most alternatives (although not all brands) but feel I have finally found a solution that is so far ahead of the others that I must say that you will waste your money if you don’t go with it.

Get your optometrist to send your prescription to Oakley and let them make you a pair of lenses with your prescription in. This is an infinitely better solution than the inserts and for the first time ever I have proper vision on the bike.

As pointed out above, you could get medical aid to pay some of it. I couldn’t, but it was still worth my while.

This is what my mate did with his diving mask

No issues with the lenses fogging up when cycling with glasses?

Nope......... The well ventilated Lenses don't fog up that badly. That is when you are moving.....lol. So don't stop :-)

No issues with the lenses fogging up when cycling with glasses?

Not if you chose a frame that allows for enough venting.

Be warned though. If your prescription is hectic, then some manufacturers will not make the lenses. I looked at Oakley this weekend, and they will not make lenses for my prescription (+6). Get confirmation from the optometrist first.

I think Rudy Project will be able to make for me, but going to have to have my eyes checked first before I invest R3000 plus in frames and lenses.

If you go Oakley, also check that they are not the ones made here in SA, as they are not made by Oakley, but a cloned process. They must get them done in Ireland for our region.

Thanks for the help Guys,

Awesome responses.

Will definately discuss okley option with our optometrist (who is an okley dealer)

Photocromic does sound good, but may go the persimmon option

Thanks

Bruce

I don't know if this is a stupid question... what does the RX insert look like? Is it like the adidas insert? cos I don't like that one.

The Rudy RX insert is similar, but it's much better executed. It's bigger for better peripheral vision, and the wire frame means that the final product ends up being thinner and less obtrusive. The inserts also come with a round piece of plastic for optometrists to know the size.

Rudy also does prescription lenses as an alternative to the RX inserts. They work better; but it's costly if you want different colours for night and day riding.

Prescription lenses will be more comfortable than the RX inserts in the long term.

12 Months ago I asked the same question on behalf of my wife and followed the general consusus vote of Rudy Project Rydons with inserts.

She has been very happy with the result.

If you don't mind me asking, How much did it come to with photo-chromatic lenses with prescription?

Can't remember, I bought my pair at last year's Walkerville MTB race and rode with contacts up until then. Dust was a problem. Got the glasses on special (SWIFTYS) I think they were around R900 after taking their voucher into account (came with the race number).

I can't even remember what the prescription was, medical aid paid for that, so I didn't really take notice of the cost :blush:

I went with Rudy Project Rydon's with prescription lenses and am very happy with them; my optometrist seemed a bit confused so my LBS ordered the lenses for me. Couldn't convince the medical aid to pay for the lenses though (can't remember exactly the reason they declined).

I myself have a set of Rydons with prescription inserts. Anyway, yesterday I went past Bethesda Bikewear to buy some socks and the guy working there said that if you have Rudy do your prescription (ie not the insert route) you have to have them replaced every two years. Anybody know about this? Or was he merely factoring in the chances of your eyes deteriorating??

My reasons are, tint, lens strength for stone impact, coverage etc.

My everyday glasses are TAG avant garde, so not great for riding.

Hi there

Missed this before,

I know Rudy Project allows you to order lenses as per prescription for your frame of choice

G

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help here, my wife has been cycling for a couple of months, with contact lenses and glasses.

She can now no longer wear contacts, so we are looking at plan B.

What are the experiences of Hubbers out there?

How easy is it to get prescription sports glasses?

Thinking that getting yellow lenses may be best as they will work in most light conditions, is this the sensible?

Which models/brands convert well?

Thanks

Bruce