To the cyclists in Orange kit at cradle this morning

W1Z@RD

agree with everything you said, except that, i would not wish that fate on anyone, regardless of where they rank on the tjop-o-meter

Let's be clear, I did not wish anything bad on them.... Purely stating how these things tend to end up. What I do wish on them and every other cyclist is to be aware of how they affect the attitude of motor vehicle drivers when they ride like "tjops" and the negative impact it has on cycling in SA.....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday morning, still dark, 6 runners , running abreast, taking up the entire 1 side of the road, where do they expect the cyclist ( or cars) to go with cars coming up from behind??

I have actually stopped to discuss this with them in the past , and have only been told , not to be so full of ****, and probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed etc.

So, cyclists should absolutely not do this, but the runners seem even worse, in my experience

No I did not. With my wife and daughter in the car I didn't think it wise.

Good call ! Respect.

Nothing good would come of it either if I were alone and did confront them. Too often people respond aggressively.

Why then use the the Hub and try "confront" them, what good is that, especially of nothing good can come of it ?

Guest TheBushpig

Except for Rob Mugabe.

Gotta agree with this one. I've tasted Bob's Barbaric Handiwork firsthand, and watched him destroy lives and turn a pot of Gold into a pile of crap. There is no punishment harsh enough for him. If you plugged Bob into a Tjop-o-meter, it would explode.

So, cyclists should absolutely not do this, but the runners seem even worse, in my experience

Said it before - Bedfordview power-walkers with their water bottles, you want a country invaded, call this lot.

Good call ! Respect.

Why then use the the Hub and try "confront" them, what good is that, especially of nothing good can come of it ?

Would have thought the hub is the perfect forum to raise & highlight such an issue, creating awareness across a wide range of cyclists will lead to less such ignorance. I for one take in some of the posts & comments on this site in order to be more respectfull & mindfull of fellow riders, motorists, etc

May I ask what you would have done, under the same circumstances?

Would you have hooted, ignored them, or stopped and taken your chances?

the hub for sure the place to raise it

makes us all think about our actions on the road - if nothing else........

no point in trying to discuss it with them (especially with yr family with you)

they already think they own the road, so they will love to get into an argument etc.....

unfortunately these types will always be with us, ,they act the same way in their vehicles.

saw it on saturday during a group ride.......... taxi passing the group, stopped to offload passengers, group passes, taxi passes, stop again...2nd time it happened lotsa comments, swearing and signals and hand waving. Why? Because he dared to pass the group and stop next to the road in the yellow line? No need to explain the response when it happened a third time..........

Fact is a 1/3 of the group acted like monkeys, the rest just carried on like decent citizens.

So who was wrong/right?

Cyclist - or a lot of us at least - need to do much more to protect ourselves and not always blame motorists for our own demise

May I ask what you would have done, under the same circumstances?

Would you have hooted, ignored them, or stopped and taken your chances?

Interesting question. Given the cirucmstances Wizman found himself in, I would have done exactly the same in not confronting them. Folk who ride like that will never have their attitude changed.

What I might have done differently is tell the story about my weekend drive in my car, comming across some orange kit riders in the cradle. And rather than get all personal at them, remind readers of this forum to be safe. Having a go at orange kit folk in the craddle that are most likely not hubbers, is a waste of time because they are unlikely to change their attitude.

Would have thought the hub is the perfect forum to raise & highlight such an issue, creating awareness across a wide range of cyclists will lead to less such ignorance. I for one take in some of the posts & comments on this site in order to be more respectfull & mindfull of fellow riders, motorists, etc

Maybe a few of them will actually ready this thread and and an unemotional seed will be planted. If one o fthem changes their behavior it will be worth it.

Nou hoe lyk 'n maergat in tights as hy appels swaai in fietsryskoene - sal my mos in my moer lag!

Hulle swaai nie appels nie, ek dink eerder cherries. Hulle sal nie appels kan optel om te swaai nie

Maybe a few of them will actually ready this thread and and an unemotional seed will be planted. If one o fthem changes their behavior it will be worth it.

I suppose here in lies the frustration. Every every every year, this issue comes up. I am sure there will be threads and threads of cylists doing silly things in the cradle. These will exponentially increase as the 94.7 draws closer and those with little to no riding experience get out their and ride bikes that are all wrong, in the wrong kit at the wrong time of day on the wrong side of the road.

It happens every year. Brining the issue onto the hub is fine, but did I say it happens every year ? But highlight the issue, not the people. If you want to highlight the people, then interact with said people! Show us photo's of them acting like fools. Let us here the video clips of you discussing the issue with them. Did I mention it happens every year ?

Heck, look at this thread. Most of the comments are from folk who most likely ride is skew straight lines anyway, they dont need this thread. Its the other guys that ride in curved lines that need the advice and most likely not going to change their attitude anyway! Enough, though, I am sure another thread on this issue will crop up shortly.

and look here ..

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/119810-craddle-pot-holes/

Most of you have commented on this thread as well. Someone felt strongly enough about an issue that they fixed it. And you are all applauding this action, even though it may break the law (as flymango says, good always trumps legal though, so I like what they did).

If you all feel strongly enough about cycling awarness, why not get a cradle group together to increase awarness of riding within the lanes and being safe etc etc etc. Have people at intersections in the cradle reminding people not to ride two or three next to each other? Motorbikes two up with camera's to take pics riding around on weekends ? If clubs get up to no good get their chairman chairpeople involved. If you feel that strongly about it, do something about it!

I think you are preaching to the choir here....... This issue has been raised many times. The general consensus is that they are tjops. The problem is that they aren't exactly going to step forward for a public pasting...

Take Slowbee's advice put a group of vigilantes concerned citizens together and do something about it. Hooting and throwing handbags is futile. Chances are they these guys aren't even forum members!

As for the runners :cursing: I almost took out three "pods" of these idiots this morning! Pod one was three abreast headed towards me on my side of the road... Wearing black and navy with two (I think) reflective strips between the lot of them. I swerved to go around them and as I went back into my lane another pod!! After avoiding them, I was lucky enough to see pod 3 because somebody with a brain (Might have been a cyclist doing cross training...)had a red flashing light pity I didn't see the knob on their outside dressed in black though!! Lucky for them I like to give a pretty big gap when I pass runners and cyclists...