26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

Also consider going 2 x 10 on the 29'er....Compact is also the way to go!!!

Just be prepared to crap on the uphills for the first couple of months, hell when i converted i found myself repeating, wish i have a granny wish i have a granny.

Change the small ring to a 24 or even 22 and you will be fine!

38-24 is the sweet spot, I think

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Change the small ring to a 24 or even 22 and you will be fine!

38-24 is the sweet spot, I think

Nah I admittedly suffered in the beginning but im getting use to it now and I am only getting stronger, I actually find now that the leg strength is getting where its supposed to be I climb better on my 9 than my 6, especially on low to med gradient hills you just fly past everything, its those 15%+ hills where things get hairy without a granny. it was like learning to ride hills all over again. But yeah if i had to put on a smaller ring im pretty sure ill destroy the times up the hills that i have done on my 6

Yeah it took bike manufacturers their sweet time to get the 29'er thing right, tested one a couple years ago and hated it. Then thought id get a "marathon" 29'er for those jeep track orientated races, but ill keep my 26 anthem for the fun stuff.

Did a lot of research and test rides and eventually decided on the Rocky Mountain Element 29, its the best allround bike ive ridden, not superlight for the price but man is it fast, its nimble, and it loves ST and tight corners. After my Anthem gathered a 2cm layer of dust I thought it best to sell her. Since ive had my rocky i just havent had the urge to get onto 26" wheels again.

But i find that in the 29'er world you get what you pay for, your niche manufacturers are getting the formula's right, the major manufacturers are putting very decent 29'ers out with good specs, but they are in no way "spectacular" if you know what i mean.

If you really want a good 29'er look at rocky, niner, (and just for the V) Yeti, ellsworth, Santa Cruz, pyga. these are bikes that are not 100% race orientated and not 100% trail orientated but a nice mix of the two.

If you want a lighter true race orientated bike thats ok'ish on the technical stuff but super fast on the flat stuff then yes your usual suspects apply, Spez, Giant, Scott,

Next bike however will be a Rocky mountain Element 950 carbon (trail orientated bike) for me. Already the GF is cringing cuase there goes the money for the oversea's holiday i was planning.

Do it, before she thinks she can start calling the shots...

I changed to a Scott Expert carbon dual aluminium 29er about 6 weeks ago.My mtb'ing has improved dramatically since then-confirmed by the comments made by all my cycling mates.

I am considerably faster on the downhills,flats and slow/medium gradients.I cannot speak for the "serious" climbs as I have always been terrible and still am :(

The comfort of the ride just makes me so much more confident.

I would never go back to my Merida 26er

I haven't switched to a 29er. I can't afford...

...the blow to my dignity!

With those unshaven legs of yours you'll look right at home man :whistling:

I haven't switched to a 29er. I can't afford...

...the blow to my dignity!

Once you realize food, electiricty and warm water are all added extra's youll be able to afford a bike in no time.

With those unshaven legs of yours you'll look right at home man :whistling:

Nonsense!

How many flat pedal, baggy wearing, unshaven guys have you seen on 29ers ;)

29ers typify tighty-pants-girly-legged-cleated race-ists!

Once you realize food, electiricty and warm water are all added extra's youll be able to afford a bike in no time.

Oh no... I can afford the bike. Got 3 beautiful 26er dual sussers in the garage, with another DH bike on the way...

But you have a point... being a hungry, smelly homeless man is more dignified than riding a 29er :lol:

No switch. I own one, but it's just another bike in the quiver.

Best thing to do if you can afford it. No way I was getting rid of my awesone DS 26er, but I really wanted to try a hardtail again and made sense to get a 29er.

Rode the 29er HT at Tokai last Sunday and managed to easily get up some of the short steep uphills that I can't get up on my 26er.

Don't know if thats due to the weight difference, extra traction, or lack of bouncy suspension.

:clap: awesome - they are going cheaper now as the 2013 one are coming in. Saw one for 15k.

if you don't mind, where did you see this? I have a firend who is looking...

Nonsense!

How many flat pedal, baggy wearing, unshaven guys have you seen on 29ers ;)

29ers typify tighty-pants-girly-legged-cleated race-ists!

Ride a Scott Elite 29er dual, with baggies, and unshaven legs......................BIG UP!!

:clap: