Tubeless blow outs - Help needed

martinsnyman

Soooooo, had my first two rides with the tubeless Ralph's and had as many blow outs!

One on Saurday and one on Sunday.

Saturday, turned a sharp right hand corner, maybe too much weight on the front wheel - blow out.

Sunday - going down the small downhill, river crossing at Groenkloof, too slow - too much weigh on the front wheel - blow out!

Is all of this a lack of riding skill, or do tubeless tyres need a while to settle???or should I increase tyre pressure, currently riding at 2bar - I weigh 105kg.

I bombed the tyre on both occasions, do I need to add all new sealant, or just top - up?

Please help!!! Thank you

Edited by martinsnyman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are "new" tubeless then I will run it at higher pressure for a while . Once the sealant have done it's work on the sides you will find it very difficult to remove the tyre from the rims and tyre should not blow . Add sealant , you most probably lost a lot with the blowouts .

i run my tubeless at 2.5 bar, never had any issues running at 1.8 until one Sunday i managed to "burp" the tire from the rim, since then i run higher, ok i do do a lot of jumping and hard riding so the "burp" was my fault but haven't had a problem since running higher pressure, are the Ralphs UST's or not? may be that the 2 bar on non ust with your weight doesn't seal as well as it should?

Whith "blow out" do you mean the tyre "burped" (blew out between rim and bead) or the tyre failed?

What rims were/are you using?

Pressure sounds OK for your weight, it's what I use on my rear wheel and I'm 101kg. I ride 1.8 in the front.

i run schwalbe and have never had a problem..dont think a brand can be blamed.

what rims are you running?

when you did the conversion how soon after did you ride?

bear in mind that bombs tend to dissipate once they have been used , i find that if i bomb a tire on wednesday by weekend it has lost a lot of pressure

something about co2 vs o2 .

I also run 1.8 /1.9 bar on front wheel , but i weigh 87kg vs 102. maybe try using a pump and setting pressure at 1.2 bar for a ride or 2

and let natural seating take place, i am assuming these were brand new tires?

Schwalbe's, whether Snakeskin or not are fine to run tubeless. Have not had issues. I run them at 1,8 bar. Maybe you haven't used enough liquid? 50ml per tyre should be enough. Did you seat the tyre properly before riding? Pump it up to 3 bar or more until you hear the loud popping noise or noises? There is a thin rubber line on the tyre wall that should run parallel to your rim, it shows you whether the tyre is seated properly.

Thanks guys, the conversion was done by my LBS, took it back there to be topped up. The tyre did inflate without any trouble on both occasions, so I am guessing this means it is seated properly - or is that the wrong assumption? I will try inflating to and riding at 2.5 bar for a while when I get it back from the shop.

Haven't had any such issues with RR. Are you sure your pressure is accurate? You shouldn't have this at 2bar.

it also depends how tight the tire fits to the rim. Schwalbe EVO tires (the thin ones) are very loose on some rims (DT SWISS), and you cannot run them too soft or they will burp, especially on corners or hitting an obstacle. This can be dangerous too at speed. your weight also adds to this, so run them slightly harder and perhaps adjust the rebound on your shock and fork softer to compensate.

I am using Snakeskin ralph and nic on Easton Haven rims, the fit of the tire is much tighter (need tire leavers, whereas on my DT Swiss rims I could remove the tires by hand) so I am more confident running them tubeless at 1.9 bar. no issues so far.

Top up your sealent if it burps, and then every 3-5 months as the activelatex usually binds onto the inside of the tire wall, leaving you unable to seal a hole when it counts the most.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

From experience I would say at 105kg you need bit pressure in wheels, that 2.5 bar sounds quite realistic to me.

I weigh 94 and run at 3.0 bar- love fast rolling tire.

I run the evo as low as 1.6 bar on the front, weigh 75kg, running on Arch or Crest rims. in the beginning the side walls used to sweat, after a top up no more issues.

From experience I would say at 105kg you need bit pressure in wheels, that 2.5 bar sounds quite realistic to me.

I weigh 94 and run at 3.0 bar- love fast rolling tire.

Higher pressure does not equal faster rolling.