Road Race on MTB

P.A.K.

Hi guys,

I'm a weekend warrior type MTB rider (more weekend, less warrior actually).

In an attempt to get fit, and with the limited amount of MTB races where I live, I'm contemplating participating in road races too with my mountain bike.

Have any of you done this? The purpose is obviously not to do a good time, but to get in some extra time in saddle.

But I'm afraid of looking like an idiot going there with an MTB and doing a terrible time

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm afraid of looking like an idiot going there with an MTB and doing a terrible time

Why do you care what others think?

Just ride it and enjoy yourself. Whoever thinks you are or look like an idiot, is a tjop.

Its cycling, not a fashion show.

I'll see you at the 94.7 on my full sus MTB.

Why do you care what others think?

Just ride it and enjoy yourself. Whoever thinks you are or look like an idiot, is a tjop.

Its cycling, not a fashion show.

I'll see you at the 94.7 on my full sus MTB.

Not washed...rolling with a camelbak and knobblies + suspension on full open for extra points

Not washed...rolling with a camelbak and knobblies + suspension on full open for extra points

+1 on all the above

I'll do the same

Just put some slick tyres on, makes riding the Mtb on the road a much faster and more pleasant experience.

Hi guys,

I'm a weekend warrior type MTB rider (more weekend, less warrior actually).

In an attempt to get fit, and with the limited amount of MTB races where I live, I'm contemplating participating in road races too with my mountain bike.

Have any of you done this? The purpose is obviously not to do a good time, but to get in some extra time in saddle.

Who cares dude, when the bunch has a random fall on a straight stretch of road you can bunny hop over them or take the dirt on the side.

You can also overtake them on the dirt to the left, that could be funny

Yeah! Slicks will not touch my beast! Knobblies, camilbag and beer!

Get one of those draught beer backpack thingys that the okes have at the rugby matches, you'll be the most popular oke on the road!

I still think we need to build a trailer for a cooler box with a case of beer and we can all take turns pulling it!

and I refuse to remove my saddlebag, I like the clinging noises from my CO2 cartridges when I hit bumps.

Forever noob.

I still think we need to build a trailer for a cooler box with a case of beer and we can all take turns pulling it!

Im in but Ill pull it for the last 15km

Ill help empty it before then :D

I want one of those cycle cars that you could hire on the durban beachfront many moons ago. Couple of mods so that it can take 4 guys and 180mm disk brakes all round...keg on the back and you are laughing.

I do plenty of training on the road on my MTB. Don't bother with the expense of fitting slick tyres. You're there to ride on the road when you like and then going off road when you want without having to hassle about changing your tyres each time.

Besides there's nothing better than passing some roadies with R100k bikes whilst on your MTB - the noise of the knobblies is quite effective is drowning out their puffing and panting as their ego's drive them to try stay with you.

How's this for a noob move. So my saddle bag breaks after a wipe, and I decide to put my tools in a plastic contianer which fits in my bottle cage as a bottle won't fit due to the rear shock being in the way.

So I buy the contraption to put a bottle behind my seat as its a shlep to always have a camil bag. So I approach my first river with my new bottle setup, ramp the bank and as I land I rip off the whole setup. Very very quick education!