Dispute over Magura fork damage

Grolsch

That does look like damage from some shoddy work during one of the services , internal parts don't magically get marks like that if the fork functioned perfectly for months. If it was due to some other internal fault or an external impact there would be corresponding damage on the other internal part it came into contact with.

I can say for a certainty that mark is not from dirt!!!

That's a mark caused after a blow from a hard object

If you had issues from day one then maybe factory fault but that was not the case.

Edited by Skylark

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to R who alerted me to this.

To the owner of this thread, Grant, lets look a the facts. It took me a while to piece this together since yo do have the habit of coming back three months after having a job done, then claiming you've done no riding and thus the problem was never gone. That may be so. But at least give me the courtesy of responding quicker so that the issue is still fresh in my mind.

Lets refer to the report from the Magura agent.

1) They noticed (just as one does in passing), that the wrong oil was used on a completely clean and disassembled fork. This is a pretty remarkable power of observation and would require access to a tribology laboratory, enough residual oil on the parts and of course direct evidence of oil damage. Oil doesn't damage parts in the way they suggest. Most unprofessional and a cheap shot. I suggest they tell us what oil was used in their opinion.

2) I agree that the damper should be replace and I'll get to that reason in due course.

3) In my opinion, the bushings are not worn. They are stained, as this type of nylon does, but not worn. Actually, it isn't my opinion. I micc'd them in the fore-aft and laeral positions and the difference is absolutely minimal. I'd like to compare my measurements with theirs. I thus dismiss this as a cheap shot with no apparent purpose.

My response to Grant was that the report was absolute rubbish and I think it should be clear why I say that.

Back to the fork. Grant's original damper broke. The folowing two pictures the break.

post-1761-0-83264300-1346740626.jpg

Here I've separated the top part of the damper. What you see there is a neat, precision break at the crimping. The damper is manufacturered by inserting a machined piece into an aluminium tube and then crimped. The crimping is a weak point since the damper, under lockout resists force in the direction of the black part. Repeated strain fatigued the paper-thin crimp and it separated.

Have another look.

post-1761-0-06485400-1346740642.jpg

The break is so neat that you won't believe it should be one part but the two grey parts should be joined.

I replaced his damper with a scrap one. Not optimal, due to the scratches and dents.

As can be seen in this photo.

post-1761-0-23616000-1346740692.jpg

And this one

post-1761-0-99381700-1346740706.jpg

However, it was an attempt to help Grant.

The fix worked for a while but eventually enough oil leaked past the dents in the alu to prevent the damper from working properly. Eventually, all the oil settled in the bottom of the fork and pops the seals. I showed Grant this but sometimes it is better not to explain things to some people. They think just because something was "serviced" it is now immune to all ills.

A note on Magura forks.

All forks, and I suppose, everything in life, as drawbacks.The magura's aluminium compression ring is follly. It isn't good practice to allow a sliding element like this to be made from aluminium. There's good reason why every single, (read all others) fork companies make their compression rids from hard-chromed steel. Secondly, that crimping proces is dodgy. They should consider epoxy, which will not weaken the structure that much.

I can only do so much for someone. If they don't want to report problems promptly, they don't do anyone any favours. Gant failed to mention that I dropped everything else I'm doing and helped him immediately - each time. No que, no wait.

More I don't want to do.

Thanks to R who alerted me to this.

To the owner of this thread, Grant, lets look a the facts. It took me a while to piece this together since yo do have the habit of coming back three months after having a job done, then claiming you've done no riding and thus the problem was never gone. That may be so. But at least give me the courtesy of responding quicker so that the issue is still fresh in my mind.

Lets refer to the report from the Magura agent.

1) They noticed (just as one does in passing), that the wrong oil was used on a completely clean and disassembled fork. This is a pretty remarkable power of observation and would require access to a tribology laboratory, enough residual oil on the parts and of course direct evidence of oil damage. Oil doesn't damage parts in the way they suggest. Most unprofessional and a cheap shot. I suggest they tell us what oil was used in their opinion.

2) I agree that the damper should be replace and I'll get to that reason in due course.

3) In my opinion, the bushings are not worn. They are stained, as this type of nylon does, but not worn. Actually, it isn't my opinion. I micc'd them in the fore-aft and laeral positions and the difference is absolutely minimal. I'd like to compare my measurements with theirs. I thus dismiss this as a cheap shot with no apparent purpose.

My response to Grant was that the report was absolute rubbish and I think it should be clear why I say that.

Back to the fork. Grant's original damper broke. The folowing two pictures the break.

post-1761-0-83264300-1346740626.jpg

Here I've separated the top part of the damper. What you see there is a neat, precision break at the crimping. The damper is manufacturered by inserting a machined piece into an aluminium tube and then crimped. The crimping is a weak point since the damper, under lockout resists force in the direction of the black part. Repeated strain fatigued the paper-thin crimp and it separated.

Have another look.

post-1761-0-06485400-1346740642.jpg

The break is so neat that you won't believe it should be one part but the two grey parts should be joined.

I replaced his damper with a scrap one. Not optimal, due to the scratches and dents.

As can be seen in this photo.

post-1761-0-23616000-1346740692.jpg

And this one

post-1761-0-99381700-1346740706.jpg

However, it was an attempt to help Grant.

The fix worked for a while but eventually enough oil leaked past the dents in the alu to prevent the damper from working properly. Eventually, all the oil settled in the bottom of the fork and pops the seals. I showed Grant this but sometimes it is better not to explain things to some people. They think just because something was "serviced" it is now immune to all ills.

A note on Magura forks.

All forks, and I suppose, everything in life, as drawbacks.The magura's aluminium compression ring is follly. It isn't good practice to allow a sliding element like this to be made from aluminium. There's good reason why every single, (read all others) fork companies make their compression rids from hard-chromed steel. Secondly, that crimping proces is dodgy. They should consider epoxy, which will not weaken the structure that much.

I can only do so much for someone. If they don't want to report problems promptly, they don't do anyone any favours. Gant failed to mention that I dropped everything else I'm doing and helped him immediately - each time. No que, no wait.

More I don't want to do.

Mooi so Johan !

Nice response, JB. :thumbup:

And there you have it bud.

Time for a new fork REVELATION or REBA :thumbup:

THNX for the blood & sweat JB :thumbup:

Ok all respect to Johan for trying to help the guy and everything. But as soon as the technition noticed that the damper had broke, this should have been a red light, stoping all work and referring to warranty. This should be common practise with anything that carries a warranty.

Edited by JA-Q001

Ok all respect to Johan for trying to help the guy and everything. But as soon as the technition noticed that the damper had broke, this should have been a red light, stoping all work and referring to warranty. This should be common practise with anything that carries a warranty.

Long out of warranty.

How do Johan's pics relate to the Op's pics??

It's like it's too different shocks?

Why did the Op not mention half the story?

Ah well....

I was just going on what the OP said and it was not long out of warranty.

Baught bike - April 2011

1st noted problem and service - end Jan 2012

2nd repair (temporary) - mid April 2012

This seems very borderline and I would still have recomended talking with the Magura Guys first. If this was a known defect and warranty was borderline, it could still have swung in the OPs favour.

Just saying

How do Johan's pics relate to the Op's pics??

It's like it's too different shocks?

Why did the Op not mention half the story?

Ah well....

In life there are always two stories .

Op's and JB 's

I always wait till I have heard both then make a call .

I have owned and serviced maguras and JB is right about the internals .

Op , the fork is out of warranty and it's been ridden with the lockout on over some heavy impacts causing the bottom crown to separate as shown( problem from the crash when you hit the pavement , I'm assuming the lockout was on while riding )

Anyway , move on and replace it . either all the internal or a new fork.

Op's and JB 's

Op , the fork is out of warranty and it's been ridden with the lockout on over some heavy impacts causing the bottom crown to separate as shown( problem from the crash when you hit the pavement , I'm assuming the lockout was on while riding )

So the OP is basically just stirring sh1te?

He doesn't even mention the catastrophic failure on the original damper??

The OP pic of the part with the mark on it - is that scrap part that Johan helped him out with?

Op's and JB 's

I thought it was three, your side, my side and then the truth?

I thought it was three, your side, my side and then the truth?

True , but we will only ever hear two , we wont get the third 100% correct .

So the OP is basically just stirring sh1te?

He doesn't even mention the catastrophic failure on the original damper??

The OP pic of the part with the mark on it - is that scrap part that Johan helped him out with?

1.Not really he is just pissed and rightfully so , but not given us all the facts

2.Correct

3.Im also not clear on this one .