hydraulic brake conversion

Legacy777

I upgraded my old hardtail from v-brakes to Shimano SLX hydraulics and I could not be happier.

Set up was easy (be patient with the process) and I haven't had to adjust anything in over a year of hassle free riding.

I had to get new wheels (R1000 used on the Hub)

Bought the brakes slightly used for R1300

The best R2300 I ever spent!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahahahaha! Stop it, anoK! Pease! You're killing me with laughter!

Hyd discs have enormous benefits over mechanical. Things like modulation, power, feel and so on make them far far far more user friendly and efficient than cable pull brakes.

Damn. That made me laugh hard!

One word of warning... Cheap hyd discs are bad. Worse than some v brakes, in fact. But a good pair of hyd discs (deore/slx/xt or avid elixir 5 and above or anything hope) are a pleasure to deal with.

Seems to be some confusion here. It's not hydraulic vs V brakes - it's v brakes vs disks. Mechanical disk brakes work just as well as hydraulics, with no bleeding issues, no fluid that boils, no reservoir that breaks, design (dissipates heat through rotor or body) doesn't matter, price is lower, everything is simpler. Anything other than good mechanical disks is just marketing hype/bling/wasted money/pita.

And you get free numb hands after a long downhill. :whistling:

Edited by Breezer

But to get back to the orignal question :

Hydrolics are the way to go , the LX/SLX range are very decent brakes and fairly trouble free . There are IMO only two diffirent types and that will be the ones using normal Dot fluid and the Mineral fluid versions . From my experience the ones using normal DOT fluid needs more maintenance especially seals , the people with the white coats will then also tell you how the one will boil before the other ect . I prefer the Shimano product line because they are fairly cheap , easy to setup and low maintenance . Spares are also easily available . I will be finished playing with a set of LX brakes by the end of October and will pass them on to anybody that woudl want them . They will most probable need a good flush and maybe new seals when I am finished .

I do have disc brakes on the bike. So I want to upgrade to hydraulic brakes? No need to change the wheels I suppose.

Edited by Predenator

But to get back to the orignal question :

Hydrolics are the way to go , the LX/SLX range are very decent brakes and fairly trouble free . There are IMO only two diffirent types and that will be the ones using normal Dot fluid and the Mineral fluid versions . From my experience the ones using normal DOT fluid needs more maintenance especially seals , the people with the white coats will then also tell you how the one will boil before the other ect . I prefer the Shimano product line because they are fairly cheap , easy to setup and low maintenance . Spares are also easily available . I will be finished playing with a set of LX brakes by the end of October and will pass them on to anybody that woudl want them . They will most probable need a good flush and maybe new seals when I am finished .

I will glady take them off your hands if you are willing to pass them on. Would be a great addition to my Single Speed project.

Just check if you have combined shift/brake levers, because if so, you will need to get new seperate shifters aswell.

I will glady take them off your hands if you are willing to pass them on. Would be a great addition to my Single Speed project.

Send me a PM else I forget and you will have to get on your surfboard and collect them , I unfortunately don't do the post stuff .

Send me a PM else I forget and you will have to get on your surfboard and collect them , I unfortunately don't do the post stuff .

Thanks! PM sent. Much appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks! PM sent. Much appreciated :thumbup:

Have you built up the green machine yet Grebel? managed to get the weld sorted?

Send pics asseblief

Friend of mine uses avid bb5/bb7 & they def better then crappy hydro's,even if for abit of fade when they hot.

Have you built up the green machine yet Grebel? managed to get the weld sorted?

Send pics asseblief

That's what the brakes are going to be for.... Managed to get the crack welded. Haven't had a chance to get the paint sorted after the welding though. So far I have the frame, stem, bars and hopefully a set of brakes! Budget is virtually non existent so it takes time to find the bargains.... The small stuff is relatively easy to come by. It's the bigger ticket items that are hard to hide in the grocery money!! Wheels, fork, cranks etc. Patience they say.....

That's what the brakes are going to be for.... Managed to get the crack welded. Haven't had a chance to get the paint sorted after the welding though. So far I have the frame, stem, bars and hopefully a set of brakes! Budget is virtually non existent so it takes time to find the bargains.... The small stuff is relatively easy to come by. It's the bigger ticket items that are hard to hide in the grocery money!! Wheels, fork, cranks etc. Patience they say.....

Nice, still think that was one of the nicest looking paintjobs(kawa green pops) on a bike ever. Good luck mate...post pics when you are done!

Nice, still think that was one of the nicest looking paintjobs(kawa green pops) on a bike ever. Good luck mate...post pics when you are done!

Will do! It might take a while though.... but I'm sure I'll get there :thumbup:

I have had a lot of comments regarding the paintjob with the frame hanging in my garage!