New tyres not keeping pressure

awesme

Hi all

Got a new set of Mountain Kings, fitted to the front of 2 bikes.

Both not keeping pressure.

On first bike I removed, re-seated and added Stan's,spun it around a bit to make sure the stan's get everywhere, It's better but not 100% yet. 3 days and I can feel it lost pressure.

On the second tyre it was originally blowing out through 2 minute pin holes (could hear it), first on the side wall, where the tyre got the checkered look, and the 2nd between the nobbies on the riding surface. Did the same, re-seated, added Stan's and spun it around a bit. After this it stopped blowing through the 2 holes (well I can't hear it anymore), but after 3 days flat again.

Ideas, this a known thing with Mountain King's?

G

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the "protection" version. Some of them are a pain to get sealed. The easiest way is to go the UST tire route. Or Tubeless ready.

Ok

So me=ill informed... aka stupid still.

Please explain the Protection, UST, Tubeless ready

I know one got a tube, other does not. So whats the different Tubeless versions.

G

Sounds like the "protection" version. Some of them are a pain to get sealed. The easiest way is to go the UST tire route. Or Tubeless ready.

How much Stans did you put in? Sometimes you need to pump it really hard to seat, then go for a ride around the block for the Stans to fill and seal all the leaks. Once this has been done it should be good

The new Conti protection tyres are awesome! I have a set of 29er X-kings! Also struggled for about a week to get them to hold air with Stans. They have lot's of micro pinholes and I found it strange that Stans did not seal it immediately.

Did research and Conti recommends that you use Conti-Seal (obviously!) it apparently seals the tires immediately.

The new tires have a wax layer on the inside to extend shelf live! This wax works a bit against Stans! You must apparently use steelwool or something similar and give the insides a bit of a rub down to remove the wax and then you will not have problems.

I only heard this after my week. Even without doing it, the tires will seal after about a week and then they are "bullet proof". Seams like it takes a week to dissolve this wax for Stans to start working!

nsBB

I so wanted to ride this week, after our Tuesday ride, just the flu/throat infection is not playing ball. Quickly redid things on Wednesday night, but felt them yesterday and softish again.

Stan's = 60ml/Tyre

Will re-pump and try and get some wheel time in, hopefully Tuesday again.

G

You should get out and ride those wheels G ;) - they will seal eventually!

I put the X-King Protection on the front of my ride and it still doesn't keep pressure after four months and plenty of Stans (and I've been riding - 200kms per week and the Tour de Tuli on them since May).

Resolved to change to Maxxis this week :ph34r:

Mine seated immediately, but kept on loosing air. After a week it stopped lossing air. I ride them at 1,8 bar and if I check them after a week, they will now be at 1,7 bar.

BrianMTB, I would have suggested doing the wax removal thing first! Maybe yours just has a very thick layer.

Maxxis Crossmark LUST work well, on sat i fitted one on my Alex wheels and it seated without sealant and held, deflated added sealant, inflated again to 3 bar and there was no leaking. Today tyre is still rock hard.

Maxxis Crossmark LUST work well, on sat i fitted one on my Alex wheels and it seated without sealant and held, deflated added sealant, inflated again to 3 bar and there was no leaking. Today tyre is still rock hard.

Old school solid tires - extremely heavy!

Yo

I have the X king protection at the back, also had the same issue. Losing pressure everyday - basically deflated without unseating the tire, added some more stans, pumped it up. Then horizontally swing it like a hoola hoop sort of action Spinning the tire will not seal small leaks on the sidewall; you must shake the wheel to slosh sealant onto the sidewalls.

Mine has been fully inflated for the last 2 weeks, no issues. I am using UST Mavics. Haven't had one puncture yet.

Stans or any other type of sealant first objective should be to seal punctures while out riding and NOT to keep the tyre inflated at the same pressure forever.

Like Peewee1 said, to seal those small pinprick leaks in the side wall you need to put the wheel in a horizontal position and probably not just once but a few times cause the little buggers will keep on opening up in new places. Get used to checking / pumping your tyres b4 every ride

If you don’t want to go thru this routine then buy the proper UST tyres with thicker side walls and less likely to develop those irritating little pin prick leaks, then you can probably only check pump your tyres every few weeks…LOL

Ok, I did not buy them because I thought they cheap or anything, I just kept on hearing good things, so thought it was a good idea...

I'm def not going to have to check pressure every time and pump every time... I've had Conti Race kings on bike for a year and maybe once had to add some air, I expect a tyre to keep pressure.

I've as it is put in Stan's and already spun it slowly while keeping them on their sides, if they can't even keep pressure as is, with Stan's in them, not spinning, not being bumped whats the chance they will keep out on the single track.

Will give them some more pressure tonight, tomorrow and see if I can get some km's on them, and if they settle, otherwise it will be written of as a bad idea, and a change to follow.

G

Anyone care to comment:

Seems I've been bitten by a bad choice.

G

Ok

So me=ill informed... aka stupid still.

I know one got a tube, other does not. So whats the different Tubeless versions.

G

I know the continental site, and many others imply that the Protections are tubeless ready, but I bought some new tyres off the top-secret online store (R300ea for MKII and X-king USTs, oh yeah!)... and on that site one can specify tubeless or non-tubeless as a filter. When doing that it has the Protections under the non-tubeless section. Hence why I went with the USTs. That said... I really hope they seat properly and stay inflated!