Carbon MTB Handlebars

428 others

Hi Hubbers,

How strong and reliable are carbon MTB handlebars? Is it possible to snap them in normal XC and marathon races eg Nissan series.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take a big enough fall you can snap/bend ali bars.

I ride with carbon bars and have taken a few falls and my bars are 100%, I think it more about what bars you buy I.E a reputable brand.

I've seen two carbon bars fail with dire results. They may be light (and strong) but for the sake of a few 100 grams (if that) I'd stick with good old aluminium. JMO.

No issues with my carbon bars over 5 years of riding and many races. No matter what you have, a good fall will break anything.

Carbon absorbs trail chatter nicely, not as hard on the hands as alum.

Also care needs to be taken with attaching bar ends to a carbon bar, make sure you have the correct stoppers (alum bar end plugs) inside, and dont over tighten them, or CRUSH...

Edited by Li Mu Bai

or... if you go big spender, have a look at the Enve carbon bars.

DH world champs was won on a set of Enve carbons

I've had some Truvativ bars now for over 2 years on Scalpel, and taken some big tumbles into rock gardens etc. Brake levers bent but the bars have been fine. 100% confidence, at least at my level.

I Put a Momsen Carbon Handle bar on my bike seems to be great, done a few hard rides with it and it seems perfectly strong enough. then again (touch wood) I try not to fall off my bike

No issues with my carbon bars over 5 years of riding and many races. No matter what you have, a good fall will break anything.

Carbon absorbs trail chatter nicely, not as hard on the hands as alum.

Also care needs to be taken with attaching bar ends to a carbon bar, make sure you have the correct stoppers (alum bar end plugs) inside, and dont over tighten them, or CRUSH...

That's exactly why I'm looking into getting carbon! Thanks for the reply's guys!

Edited by Scottondale

I've had some Truvativ bars now for over 2 years on Scalpel, and taken some big tumbles into rock gardens etc. Brake levers bent but the bars have been fine. 100% confidence, at least at my level.

+1 noir carbon bars...tough