Tall (dark & handsome) Boy

Delilah

I have those hubs in black. So nice!

The first thing I thought of when I saw the nipples was aluminium oxidising and bonding to the rim, but that's not an issue with your carbon rims.

What do they weigh?

Its going to be a pimping wheelset!

What spokes will you use?

Is your frame's rear 142x12?

Hey Splat :)

Yeah, the Hopes are nice and good value too. The rims came in at 385 and 395g. Outer width 30mm, inner width 23mm, depth 20mm, 603mm ERD, 32 hole, tubeless compatible AM/XC rims with rider weight limit of 120kg (I should be okay then :P ). They're being laced up with black DT Swiss Revos.

Yep, the frame is 12x142mm. Luckily CRC sells the Hope conversion kit. I think it's about R150, so not bad at all.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Splat :)

Yeah, the Hopes are nice and good value too. The rims came in at 385 and 395g. Outer width 30mm, inner width 23mm, depth 20mm, 603mm ERD, 32 hole, tubeless compatible AM/XC rims with rider weight limit of 120kg (I should be okay then :P ). They're being laced up with black DT Swiss Revos.

Yep, the frame is 12x142mm. Luckily CRC sells the Hope conversion kit. I think it's about R150, so not bad at all.

Wow - hectic techy talk and from a girl nogal! Very impressive!

Edited by Scooterza

Wow - hectic techy talk and from a girl nogal! Very impressive!

LOL! Thanks Scooterza. I like to read up on the stuff I buy before buying. The carbon rim knowledge came from reading an extremely looooong thread on MTBR forums.

LOL! Thanks Scooterza. I like to read up on the stuff I buy before buying. The carbon rim knowledge came from reading an extremely looooong thread on MTBR forums.

Nice - congrats. Whats the warranty like on the frame? 5 year or lifetime? How much would a new rear hanger set you back?

Edited by robinh

I tend towards the Bad Boy myself ...

http://www.at-fahrraeder.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cannondale-bad-boy-8-2010-neu-01.jpg

Bloody Hell Bruce, great minds think alike. Was perving at the latest models of these and the Hooligan last weekend. I wouldn't mind one for CM...

May you have many millions miles...

Thank you kindly

Nice - congrats. Whats the warranty like on the frame? 5 year or lifetime? How much would a new rear hanger set you back?

The warranty is a 2-part affair. At first you get 2 years repair/replace. After that you get replacement bits at minimal cost, even if it was a crash, for the life of the bike. As per SC website:

Limited Frame Warranty

Santa Cruz Bicycles will repair or replace at its option any frame it determines to be defective.

The warranty will be in effect for two years from the date of sale and applies to the original owner.

This warranty does not cover custom finishes.

No-Fault Replacement

Santa Cruz Bicycles will make replacement parts available to the original owner at a minimal charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation for the life of the bike.

The hanger is replaceable, but I don't know what it costs.

EDIT: A quick Google revealed that a new hanger can be bought from CRC for R170 ex shipping ex vat

Edited by Delilah

Yep, I have indeed. The kind gentleman will get back to me with prices :thumbup:

He raised a few questions that I would appreciate advice on: 1. Are 180mm rotors overkill? 2. Should I opt for shorter cranks?

Do yourself a favour and get the V to get you a price on Formula R1 brakes, currently have them on my Pivot 160mm front and rear super power and great modulation plus they are super light

Wrt cranks 165 mm means you will forfeit leverage and could mess with your cadence feel, plenty info on the topic but my understanding is to have longer cranks than you would on a road bike, good suspension setup should help with banging the cranks

On point 2: I'm 1.72m and have only ever had standard length cranks. Will it be better to try 165mm? I've read other riders go for 165mm on the Tallboy to minimise rock strikes.

PS: Thanks to everybody for all the comments, good wishes and congratulations. You are all most kind. :blush:

Hi Wapad, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty hesitant to change to 165mm cranks, because I've never had a problem with 175mm. So, reading your advice on longer cranks for MTB makes sense to me.

As for brakes, I've never tried Formula R1 - will look into it. Must say though that I've always been happy with XT...