Saddle Height on MTB vs Road Bike

Vetseun

I measured my MTB saddle height and my Road Bike saddle height this evening. My mtb was 3 cm lower that my RB. This is measured from the bottom of the pedal stroke with crank arm in line with the seat tube to the top of the saddle. Both bikes feel fine to me.

I checked out a very cool saddle height calculator that I found on google.

According to this calculator that takes your overall length and then your inner leg length and calculates your perfect saddle height.

The calculator gives you MTB and RB options.

On both options the saddle height works out exactly the same height. My saddle height was on the money on the road bike. Now I am wondering if I should lift my saddle on my MTB.

So Im interested to now from hubbers who ride both bikes if they ride the same saddle height on both bikes.

Are you running the same crankarm length on the MTB and the Roadbike ?

Has no impact. You are measuring from the bottom of the stroke and not from the center of the bb Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

Sometimes i set my mtb saddle height a few +/- 5mm lower than my road bike, depending on the type of riding. More than 5 mm and i start feeling it in my quads

Sometimes i set my mtb saddle height a few +/- 5mm lower than my road bike, depending on the type of riding. More than 5 mm and i start feeling it in my quads

OK, when it is not sometimes do you run the same height.?

I had a proper set up and bike fit done on my road bike out of interest when I got home I did the measurement as i was interested to see how it compared to my mountain bike which set up was done by a friend about 2 years back.

They were within a mm or 2 of each other so I would say you first need to know which one is right or wrong or maybe (more likely) they are both wrong one in each direction (of your correct position) which would lead to the greater difference but also allowing both to feel fairly good.

Get one of them set up correctly I think it will be worth it in the long run.

I had a proper set up and bike fit done on my road bike out of interest when I got home I did the measurement as i was interested to see how it compared to my mountain bike which set up was done by a friend about 2 years back.

They were within a mm or 2 of each other so I would say you first need to know which one is right or wrong or maybe (more likely) they are both wrong one in each direction (of your correct position) which would lead to the greater difference but also allowing both to feel fairly good.

Get one of them set up correctly I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Sounds good, shot

Going up or down? On the ups I use the same height as I would on a road bike. Power and efficiency. Technical ST has it about 2" lower than that, so I can throw it around more easily and huck without getting a proctology exam. On the way down it's 3" lower still, giving a total drop of 5" or so. That's why i need a dropper post!

For me - there's 5 mm difference in Ergofit setups between my road and MTB.

But the difference for me may come in here: I ride (and that's also the advised lengths) 172.5 cranks on road and 175 on mtb. And I use different shoes and cleats: FWIW both Shimano pedals and cleats, but obviously road vs mtb and Spez road and mtb shoes. I'm guessing if you begate these two factors, the saddle height should be the same.

Just a note: Ergofit measures seat height not from pedal (due to crank length differences) but from center of BB, along the seat tube.

Depending on the terrain you riding,If you ride alot of technical with drop offs and stuff where you need to shift your weight back its better to have your seat a bit lower for clearance