Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to knives so I don’t like those Honey Badgers [emoji3084] at all, but I’m surprised at just how well they’ve done is SA. They really dominate that price range now.

They are a big hit in the USA now to.

Dirt cheap in USA and good quality.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought myself the large flipper and Wharncleaver in D2.

4114f85e83dcc830e5ab411b7da5d56a.jpg

That is so pretty.

Have one sitting at the in-laws and waiting for someone coming this way to bring it over for me.

• 2 weeks later...

How is the edge holding?

D2 model?

Yes it’s D2, actually holding out quite well. First knife in D2 so didn’t know what to expect.

Yes it’s D2, actually holding out quite well. First knife in D2 so didn’t know what to expect.

The reason I ask is that I have quite a selection of working knives made of various steels.

1045, 1095, 1095cro van, UHB20C(similar to 1095), 5160, 12C27, 1.4116, 420, 420HC, VG10, 8cr13mov, aus8, N690, N680, Schleinper and M390.

Always interesting how these measure up with different grinds, hardnesses and sharpening angles.

Hair poppers vs edge stability vs usable cutting edge.

I have 2 blades in d2.

One is a Steel Will (advertised as rockwill 58-60) and the other one is a Kizlyar. Same specs. BUT the Steel Will Modus will take a 17deg edge (Lansky sharpener) and the kizlyar amigo might take it, but will have micro chipping of the cutting edge at this angle. I will see if a 20deg angle lasts longer.

The reason I ask is that I have quite a selection of working knives made of various steels.

1045, 1095, 1095cro van, UHB20C(similar to 1095), 5160, 12C27, 1.4116, 420, 420HC, VG10, 8cr13mov, aus8, N690, N680, Schleinper and M390.

Always interesting how these measure up with different grinds, hardnesses and sharpening angles.

Hair poppers vs edge stability vs usable cutting edge.

I have 2 blades in d2.

One is a Steel Will (advertised as rockwill 58-60) and the other one is a Kizlyar. Same specs. BUT the Steel Will Modus will take a 17deg edge (Lansky sharpener) and the kizlyar amigo might take it, but will have micro chipping of the cutting edge at this angle. I will see if a 20deg angle lasts longer.

Would love to know what abuse you put your knife through on a daily basis?

My son asked me for a camp knife /chopper. I made one from bohler k110. 8mm spine. Quite a long day grinding...

After hardening I sharpened the edge to 25deg (v shape edge). It did not last long before micro chipping could be seen with a magnifying glass. I must say he really tried his best to test it. Stabbing, chopping wood, log splitting...

I changed the edge to a convex grind. The initial sharp 'feel' of the edge was less, but it lasted much longer. With very little edge damage.

My son asked me for a camp knife /chopper. I made one from bohler k110. 8mm spine. Quite a long day grinding...

After hardening I sharpened the edge to 25deg (v shape edge). It did not last long before micro chipping could be seen with a magnifying glass. I must say he really tried his best to test it. Stabbing, chopping wood, log splitting...

I changed the edge to a convex grind. The initial sharp 'feel' of the edge was less, but it lasted much longer. With very little edge damage.

sounds like you need to please post some pitcha's of the knives you have made