Cape St Francis - December

deonkretch

We're going to Cape St Francis in December. I've never been in the area and don't have any info about where to ride etc. Would like to use these couple of weeks to get some miles on the legs for the Epic.

I'd appreciate it if anyone with some local knowledge is willing to share some routes etc. Would also be great to meet up with anyone in the area for some rides. We'll be there from 16th to early in Jan.

We usually go there. Lot's of tar and dirt road riding. A nice dirt road network there, you can explore if you have a map of the area. I heard rumours of a bike park near JBay area, which is just down the road. My riding experience there was always a bit dodge though, that wind. Sometimes you get it right, other times you cycle 40km home in a howling headwind, where you granny ring downhills.

Yep, in St. Francis not much. There is training though at Oyster Bay which is within cycling distance, I can mail you some Google Earth maps. You can get some decent kilos in there. All wide gravel roads, a few decent climbs.

Yep, in St. Francis not much. There is training though at Oyster Bay which is within cycling distance, I can mail you some Google Earth maps. You can get some decent kilos in there. All wide gravel roads, a few decent climbs.

Hi Azonic - anything will be appreciated! Please mail.

Thx,

There is a roadie group that meets at the entrance to The Links golf course almost every morning @ about 6:30 (I think).

Routes vary between Hanky, the game reserve gates, Jefferies Bay and just Humansdorp.

Pace was usually pretty chilled heading out, but got quite festive coming home (depending on who was there)

We were quite lucky with the wind and weather this past December.

There always seemed to be plenty of mountain bikers around. Not much real mountain biking, but plenty of dirt roads around.

Those climbs between humansdorp, oyster bay and st francis had me squealing for mercy. Found it very tough.

I would always ride from Oysterbay to Palmiet Vlei and back. If you ride from St. Francis to Oyster Bay and then to Palmiet Vlei and back, thats a decent ride.

There are some excellent rides out to OysterBay - 56k from St Francis Bay and back, add another 20 or so from Cape St Francis.

post-8869-0-15786000-1348061226_thumb.jpg