Single Speed Evangelists are weight weenies

goya-goya

.... and as much as many deny it in this thread, which in itself is probably evidence, there is a huge dollop of "look how much better and cooler I am" thrown into the mix. Also a few drops of "I so desperately want to be seen to be different".

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... and as much as many deny it in this thread, which in itself is probably evidence, there is a huge dollop of "look how much better and cooler I am" thrown into the mix. Also a few drops of "I so desperately want to be seen to be different".

Nicely laid the bait there clint, but let's rather play a game of farkoff, you go first.

Dude... many, many singlespeed bikes out there are the owners first MTBs that they've converted to SS to see what it's about. Old Diamond Backs and Giants etc that have been gathering dust in the shed since the owners have moved on - some still with V brakes! There's very little cool or deliberately different about these except that the owners are exploring something new (just like you perhaps made the decision to explore mountain biking).

Sure, there's many SS riders that have moved onto steel or SS specific frames but that's because they've started on their modified Diamond Back and have loved this version of the sport.

And ja, I guess it comes with a culture of pimping & blinging your bike but that exists as aggressively in the geared form of the sport. Hell, it exists in cycling as a whole from road to commuting to MTB.

Let the guys enjoy it man! There's not one SS thread on here with a negative vibe. Even Goya-Goya who started this thread questioning SS has done so by just asking the question why and then absorbing what everyone has had to say - evident in one of his last posts in here.

Don't hate it cos it seems deliberately different, hate it cos it's perhaps a bit childish with most of us getting a throw back to BMXing days or something. But if that's the case, who cares?...

Smile bro!

Edited by Ryanpmb

I think people who don't understand SS are maybe the ones that had deprived childhoods with no BMX's...... no memories of the furious pedaling and ecstatic hours of thrashing around the neighbourhood conquering hills with absolutely ridiculously inappropriate gear ratios.

The beauty of SS is definitely that the rider and his flow becomes paramount

The timing that is needed for the flow becomes everything , there's no gearing to fall back on so you are forced to focus 100% , every ounce of momentum is important.

Keeping the flow alive is stimulating and exhilarating and not least of all due to the obligatory thundering blood flow to keep it all together!!

Damn, but you do make this sound complicated - It's easy - have bike, ride - when in doubt, pedal harder...if you can't pedal, walk/run - nothing more to it, and a whole lot less maintenance.... :)

Now - lets talk about SS maintenance schedules...

1 - Lube chain occasonally - replace every few years - ok, so I am on the second chain - the first was well... stretched.... after 2 years of use.

2 - Wash (outsourced to my car wash guy every couple of weeks)

3 - Fiddle caliper brake adjustments on cables

4 -

OK - thats all I have ever done... or needed to have done.... before someone says I outsourced the maintenance.. :) Total cost in spares R58 for the chain plus some lube that came in a goodie bag.

Now lets talk about full suss maintenance... R8k odd this year so far and more to come...

‎"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft... As for me, give me a fixed gear!" -- Henri Desgrange

Enough said... haha

Ok that confirms it 100% and with out a shadow of doubt - you are a Troll

Can't you please up your troll game to next level trollness and get yourself banned?

It would be much appreciated

‎"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft... As for me, give me a fixed gear!" -- Henri Desgrange

Enough said... haha

He was a softie - I am over 45.... that said I am not wedded to any specific feelings about bikes - I like them, and I ride them - all of them, gears, no gears, suspension, no suspension, on road or off road - all have upsides and downsides - all require the use of a helmet.

Spelling error fixed.

Hehehe bwhahaha.....lekker swaerie. How to win friends and influence people by the troll...

PS feeling very strong here....couple of kaptein skyms after die blad

Don't feel too bad.

Time for me to change my name to DangleSS and sommer every other handle I have being it twitter, fb. or whatever else.

Is that a dig at me oh tattooed one?