How do I keep it down? - MTB front wheel

The Ghost

I tried to lean forward on the front wheel and the back spun out from under me ..

I relate to both the lifting front wheel and the spinning back one.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont lean forward, push your chest towards the top bar, keep your centre of gravity down... and between the 2 wheels - it gets easier with practice, its all about balance, left and right, forward and backwards....

jy moet die saal in jou hol steek! Then it should be fine, or at least it gives you and idea of how far in front of the saddele yo must sit

Hairy, you should know better, how does locking out the rear shock help with this? I don't have lockout on my current frame but I would imagine it would prevent shifting of the weight to the back due to rear shock compression.

That would be the theory anyways.

The above is a gross and completely inaccurate statement :)

Firstly. Your suspension should not really be set up in a manner that the damned thing bounces around like a waterbed found at the honeymoon suite in Thailand.

Always get your sag and rebound right. There are lots of threads on this, search and Google is your friend and if you come short then drop a post here.

But yes, on a steep inclines you would be getting more mass/weight over the rear wheel and compressing the suspension more. Hence getting up and over the bars.

Locking out the rear would, I am sure have a positive effect for the intended purposes, but again, if set up correctly you are more than likely going to benefit more from an active suspension digging into the trail and getting you up the damned climb.

Technique is really key to get you up on the climb.

To the OP. Does your fork have the ability to be dialed down? If so it would assist you keeping the front down on steep climbs.

I tried to lean forward on the front wheel and the back spun out from under me ..

Le Turbo

Come do the Wednesday Morning Table Mountain ride and we can chat RE this!

You are too strong, try not exercising for a while. Be sure to post your results.

Damn, I should be charging large sums of money for this advice.

You are too strong, try not exercising for a while. Be sure to post your results.

Damn, I should be charging large sums of money for this advice.

LOL ... a spinning Wheelie :)

Hairy, you should know better, how does locking out the rear shock help with this? I don't have lockout on my current frame but I would imagine it would prevent shifting of the weight to the back due to rear shock compression.

That would be the theory anyways.

Yup. Much like wheelie-ing a single pivot - way less 'kick' needed to get the front off the ground with the shock active 'cos the back end sags and shifts your weight back.

But yes, on a steep inclines you would be getting more mass/weight over the rear wheel and compressing the suspension more. Hence getting up and over the bars.

To the OP. Does your fork have the ability to be dialed down? If so it would assist you keeping the front down on steep climbs.

That begs another question, should I remain seated, or stand?

Nah, my fork is just one you pomp, and either lock or unlock

That begs another question, should I remain seated, or stand?

Nah, my fork is just one you pomp, and either lock or unlock

Remaining seated should be easier to accomplish said task.

Getting up and grinding out the saddle will bring about further complications:

• You will need to make sure you keep enough weight on the rear wheel to prevent it from spinning out
  • I hope your fitness can handle the full length of the climb
  • That riding as slow as you possibly can to learn how to distribute your weight comes into play here yet again

People think I am talking complete rubbish when I say you must learn to ride slow in order to ride fast.

Hairy, you're right, I've been jawing about this too long. I shall attempt to drag my lazy butt out of bed early this Wednesday and meet you guys at the Church Street bridge at 6:00.

How you manage the 4:30 thing, especially in winter, is one of those incomprehensible wonders of the Universe.

29er's do not lift !

Seriously their centre of gravity seems to be better. I used to lift the front wheel all the time on my 26 er merida 96.

Hairy, you're right, I've been jawing about this too long. I shall attempt to drag my lazy butt out of bed early this Wednesday and meet you guys at the Church Street bridge at 6:00.

How you manage the 4:30 thing, especially in winter, is one of those incomprehensible wonders of the Universe.

Without derailing this thread .... 6:05 / 6:10am at the bridge :)

Drop me a pm and we can exchange no's should things run out a little time wise!

Without turning this into a 29er vs 26er they are right. With a 26er you tend to sit on top of the bike. With a 29er you are more inside the bike and your weight is really well distributed.

Then again I push up the hills and bomb the **** out of them on the way down.