Disc Brakes - Hope vs Shimano vs Formula

Morwa

Hubbers,

I'm itching to upgrade my current brakes to either (in no particular order):

1. Shimano XTR M985; (....have XTR components on my bike)

2. Hope Race/Tech Evo X2;

3. Formula R1 / R1 Racing.

I've never been a fan of Avid/SRAM brakes. Personal preference....apologies to the SRAM crowd.

I'm mainly doing XC riding so no AM stuff. Which of these would you recommend? based on performance / reliability / support & maintenance?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 'double piston' Hopes on my bike - they are great and have MAJOR stopping power. Love anything HOPE!! NOt had to do anything on them as yet re maintanance but I do have them checked out regularly and so far so good. Had them for over a year.

I have the 'double piston' Hopes on my bike - they are great and have MAJOR stopping power. Love anything HOPE!! Not had to do anything on them as yet re maintanance but I do have them checked out regularly and so far so good. Had them for over a year.

Also bought spare pads for them as I was told the double pistons ones are not easily available anymore. Have yet to replace the original pads.

Hubbers,

I've never been a fan of Avid/SRAM brakes. Personal preference....apologies to the SRAM crowd.

I'm mainly doing XC riding so no AM stuff. Which of these would you recommend? based on performance / reliability / support & maintenance?

Tough lineup..

Id prob go the xtr trail or the hopes,but nothing wrong with the formulas, maybe more to your needs. :thumbup:

In my totally unbiased opinion: Hope is the Way.

They will set you apart from the rest. You will get comments whilst riding about the bling on your bike, then you can say, not really, they are just very good brakes. User serviceable. Parts available from CRC. Get the floating rotors as well. Don't forget to colour code, but try avoid the Christmas Tree effect please.

Ok if it was my money

First Prize...Hope if paired with their floating rotors.

Bridesmaids...XTR and Formula

Lekker problem you have there, please just don't get Avid XX's

You have them in the correct order in your title!

I have M4`s and X2`s - Will never look back - even at 85kg, stopping was never an issue - check out my signature and you`ll understand!

TX for the replies.

What is the difference between the Tech and Race Hope's? Also, I've done some research on the international forums. They speak about modulation? What the heck is that?

Also, why XTR trail over the race edition?

TX for the replies.

What is the difference between the Tech and Race Hope's? Also, I've done some research on the international forums. They speak about modulation? What the heck is that?

Also, why XTR trail over the race edition?

Modulation is amount of pull you can gooi without locking up....its the feel. Cheaper brakes are rip and grip, no room for even braking, either lock or off.

With the XTR trail I think you can adjust the bitepoint or stroke(not sure which one) without a tool, the race needs a screwdriver / hex / allen(not sure which). Def get the trail if you go XTR, its the right one

Hubbers,

I just got a pair of Hope Tech Evo X2 with floating rotors. I have only done one ride with them, but thought they were great.

I had Avid Elixir's before that, and had no real issues with them.

Its just that have a bit of a Hope fetish (Hope headset, hubs and rear skewer)

The Hope's are about 125g heavier...

Edited by splat

Hope Tech lever is fully adjustable - Brake pad contact, reach ect. The race lever is just a smaller/lighter unit with the same adjust ability through smaller grub screws - allen key bolts - in stead of the Tech lever bigger bolts.

Modulation is the feel feedback of the lever as you pull it. On some brakes there is nothing, nothing, nothing and then all of a sudden - lockup. With Hope you have much more control over how much "brake" or brake force you apply!

Cant comment on XTR.

My opinion - If you are riding multiday events - stick to something someone will have replacements/spare parts for - like XT or better Avids - if you just do single day events - then whatever you like.

My opinion - If you are riding multiday events - stick to something someone will have replacements/spare parts for - like XT or better Avids - if you just do single day events - then whatever you like.

hayibo :unsure:

Agree on the XT's...my flavour

Edited by rouxtjie