Training Wheelset Choice from a select short list?

ZippWheelsForSale

Hi,

Ignoring purchase price, which of these wheelsets will cost least in terms of maintenance and service (both number of 'services' and cost of bike shop 'attention')?

Or put differently, on which set will I get the most training miles over the next couple of years?

• Mavic Aksium, 2013
  • DT Swiss R1900, 2012
  • DT Swiss R1800, 2012
  • American Classic Sprint 350, not sure about year
  • Alex R380 (Rims build onto American Classic Hubs, not sure about spoke choice or year of manufacture)

Thanks

I have been using a set of Aksiums for a few months and have been super impressed. Cost me under 2 grand new. Money well spent. No comment on others. DT's have been around for years though.

Not the Aksiums. Ive got a set, wont recommend them.

DT hubs are not so easy to service, I hear, if you are planning to do lots and lots of kms, perhaps go for something else.

Perhaps look at something from Shimano or Campy, too? Both make superb wheels.

Not the Aksiums. Ive got a set, wont recommend them.

What problems have you had?

Been riding mine for 3 years now and not a single problem.They still running true

Hi,

Ignoring purchase price, which of these wheelsets will cost least in terms of maintenance and service (both number of 'services' and cost of bike shop 'attention')?

Or put differently, on which set will I get the most training miles over the next couple of years?

• Mavic Aksium, 2013
  • DT Swiss R1900, 2012
  • DT Swiss R1800, 2012
  • American Classic Sprint 350, not sure about year
  • Alex R380 (Rims build onto American Classic Hubs, not sure about spoke choice or year of manufacture)

Thanks

Campag Khamsin...

Look for something with lots of spokes (32+) in a standard size and material (e.g. double butted steel). Higher spoke count improves durability, standard spokes make it easy to replace them if they break 10 years from now. Make sure it has brass nipples - alu nipples will eventually seize and make it impossible to true without cutting spokes.

On the rims, look for something with double eyelets. These make the spoke holes a bit more durable.

On the hubs, look for something that allows you to service and grease the bearings periodically. Look for good quality steel bearings. Avoid fancy ceramics or cheap Chinese bearings. There's a bit of a compromise here: good quality cup and cone bearings will last a very long time if well maintained, but you can't really replace the races once they wear out. Cartridge bearings won't last as long but can be replaced when worn.

Stay away from anything that uses light weight as a selling point. Weight should be the last factor to consider on a durable training wheelset.

Personally, I would go (and have gone) for a custom built set of 32 or 36 hole Mavic Open Pro rims with 3x spoke pattern, standard Sapim of DT Swiss double-butted spokes (e.g Revolution or Laser), brass nipples and good quality hubs (e.g. Shimano or Campag).

A custom built Dura ace hub onto a mavic open pro rim would be the best but it will be costly - think nearly twice as much as the Mavic Askiums.

A custom built Dura ace hub onto a mavic open pro rim would be the best but it will be costly - think nearly twice as much as the Mavic Askiums.

I'm training on similar, but with campag hubs.

My Open Pro with Ultegra hubs are actually lighter than the Aksiums.

My Open Pro with Ultegra hubs are actually lighter than the Aksiums.

True and with 32 spokes but I already had the Askiums.