Riding on empty

When I started riding I had one thing in mind and that was to loose weight. Therefor I always did my workouts on empty and it worked remarkably well. However I have been on my goal weight for more than a year now but still I prefer to go out on rides with out having eaten anything. I might take a Slim Slab or two during a ride purely because it works for me.

Anyone else that prefers to start their rides on empty?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like starting on empty, could be all in my mind but I like the idea that I have some fuel in the tank

Early morning rides on empty burns fat really quickly. Something about the first 30 minutes of the ride being the most effective for fat burning.

I normally don't like to, except my early morning 20km commute to work. Helps kick-start ,my metabolism for the day....makes sense that it'll burn fat as well.

I never ever start a training ride or race on empty. I like to eat a bowl of cornflakes, a yoghurt, a banana and a muffin before a ride longer than 30km.

I do it regularly for early morning 90 min rides, even with some interval training bits.

But to train hard, the muscles need fuel.

Early morning rides i dont eat before and ride on only water. Trying to loose weight. Anything over 40km i ride with a energy drink and anything that i know is going to be intense i make sure i have some fuel in the tank.

Never used to eat anything before the usual Wednesday morning rides (I would always eat something for a weekend MTB ride) and the past two ride I have made myself a basic peanut butter and honey sandwich .... damned it feels like those little climbs up to the Kings Block house are much flatter than when I ride on empty!

When I started riding I had one thing in mind and that was to loose weight. Therefor I always did my workouts on empty and it worked remarkably well. However I have been on my goal weight for more than a year now but still I prefer to go out on rides with out having eaten anything. I might take a Slim Slab or two during a ride purely because it works for me.

Anyone else that prefers to start their rides on empty?

Hah. You should try that here in Pretoria. It's 25C by 9am... just remember to pin a note to your shirt listing your next of kin. Way too hot now.

Sure, it works for some people, but I for one can't do it. I bonk in 20min if I don't eat. However if you want to get the best out of the deal you should do a low exertion workout.

Hah. You should try that here in Pretoria. It's 25C by 9am... just remember to pin a note to your shirt listing your next of kin. Way too hot now.

Sure, it works for some people, but I for one can't do it. I bonk in 20min if I don't eat. However if you want to get the best out of the deal you should do a low exertion workout.

Don't think 9am is classed as early, try 5:30am!! At that time during the week I eat nothing and just drink water and have breakfast when back. At the weekend when MTB (7am start) will eat an energy bar and then drink an energy drink on the ride up to 40kms, anything longer and the stomach rumbles, so take food with and energy levels are fine.

Don't think 9am is classed as early, try 5:30am!! At that time during the week I eat nothing and just drink water and have breakfast when back. At the weekend when MTB (7am start) will eat an energy bar and then drink an energy drink on the ride up to 40kms, anything longer and the stomach rumbles, so take food with and energy levels are fine.

I meant as a finishing time :D

Rides start (or should) at 5.30.

I've bonked sooooooo hard by trying this. I could barely get to the cafe for Coke and a Bar One.