Could this be the end of Chappies for us?

Wannabe

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

......money, if we offer to pay they'll be happy because we using "their" road and for free so we get these threats.

Cz i agree there are more tjops in cars than there are on fiets

I'd suggest PPA set up a little table at the start of Chappies (both sides) on the busy periods when lots of cyclists is on the road. They can then just inform / remind the cyclists not to behave like tjops and take over the whole road. AND YES, IT DOES HAPPEN!!. Have one or two marshals patrol (on Motorcycles) both sides and whenever a cyclist is behaving like a tjop, put him / her in their place.

Rather than losing the privelige of cycling on Chappies, treat the ones behaving like ill mannered kids, like kids and discipline them.

Like it or not, "we" are once again our own worst enemies.

Sorry Wannabe, didnt see your thread as I started one also. Admin please adjust accordingly.

Sorry Wannabe, didnt see your thread as I started one also. Admin please adjust accordingly.

No problem. :thumbup: Sure the mods will merge it.

Here's another suggestion: close the road to all traffic as it was for many months and only let cyclists and pedestrians on

+1

Personally I think this complaint is ruibbish.

the South sideof Cahppies has a 20km/hr speed restriction. Most of the average fitness riders are going up there about 15km'hr which is not far off teh speed limit.

This is another case of motorists and tour busses wanting to drive like freaks on that stretch of road. I have no issues driving up that road and waiting behinda groups of riders. the view makes up for any inconvenience.

Just another demonstration of weak leader within the city panding up to arrogant motorists.

Ban the frikken cars I say

Chappies is one of my most precious local rides and I will be seriously pissed off if anybody gets me banned from it. Most riders that I see, behave themselves, but a small minority ride like chops, blocking cars on the narrow bits and causing unneccessary friction.

I agree with some of the above posts, if cyclists misbehave, it is up to the toll operators to take them on and fine or prosecute them. The whole of Chappies is under closed circuit tv monitoring anyway. It should be easy to get the culprits, cyclists or drivers, and throw the book at them.

Sadly because chappies carries far lower volumes of traffic than most roads, so many cyclists feel safer and think that they get something of a free pass to ride abreast, take up the "whole" road etc... I ride chappies plenty, its on many of my regular loops from my house and there are plenty of transgressors. But they are no worse than the bikers, tearing up the road, tour busses cutting corners, motorists speeding, or inching along looking at the view, I can go on. Because it is a toll road there is no traffic enforcement whatsoever. The operators need to get a handle on the stretch of road that they control, and not just bleat at us, the soft targets.

From the latest PPA newsletter.

WILL CYCLISTS BE BANNED ON CHAPMANS PEAK?

Several complaints have been received by the operators regarding the behaviour of cyclists on Chapman’s Peak, riding abreast and/or taking up the whole road. This has prompted discussions of banning cycling on Chappies. This cannot happen! Please ride responsibly: Keep left, and make sure the cyclists who ride around you do the same. Let's keep Chappies open for cyclists.

How about pulling the transgressors over and fining them? Failure to identify themselves, and of to the cop station the go in a 'vangwa'. There are enough laws to deal with transgressors without infringing on the freedom of responsible citizens!

This is not going to happen... How would they fine you? Ask for your license? I would just write down L. Armstrong, smile and wave off and wait for the fine in the post.

This is not going to happen... How would they fine you? Ask for your license? I would just write down L. Armstrong, smile and wave off and wait for the fine in the post.

On the spot fine while taking down your ID number, which is on your med aid card / drivers license etc, and if you give false information they can fine you again for defeating the ends of justice. Quite easy really.