Cradle of Humankind

Mark_48

See how I said "ex-golfer" ?

I feel like an ex-golfer at times, need to get another round in soon thumbup1.gif

Hi Guy's, I did this route for the first time on Sat (Cradle of humankind), hoping to disprove family members who live in the area claiming that the club I ride with have some of the rudest members. Only to see the truth behind their bitternes towards cyclist.

Beautifully marked cycling lanes have been created for us cyclist's, but unfortunately there are some douche bags that own the road, or so they would like to think, riding in a group of 20 odd cyclist taking up the whole road (4 abreast) and giving the finger to motorists that get frustrated because they cannot pass safely.

You guy's are the chops that are giving the rest of us law abiding, considerate cyclist's a bad rep. You culprits are the first to stand up and shout abuse at motorist's that have accidently knocked a cyclist over or worse yet killed a cyclist.

Come on guys, I know that before the ride on a Sat morning a briefing is done and we are asked to please NOT ride more than 2 abreast, why the hell can you not just keep to that.

My Rant for the day

I've resisted responding to these posts before, but I really agree with Mark_48.

I'm a (rather inactive) cyclist myself and have really enjoyed my rides in Cradle but, man, there are some real a$$holes who ride there who seem hell-bent on upsetting motorists and giving us all a bad name - just sheer bloody minded arrogance and stupidity.

On several occasions I have been held up by even small groups riding four abreast, way outside of the demarcated cycling lane lane (which itself is not always the best place to ride, but too bad!) despite knowing knowing I was behind them and even pulling out from two abreast to 3/4 abreast when I closed up to them - absolutely deliberate cursing.gif - I just cannot fathom the mentality!?

What to do? I don't know, this matter has been aired so many times and yet it does not seem to get better!? I sometimes fantasise about a goon squad that circulates in the Cradle dispensing some solid klaps to these idiots devil.gif

Rant over.

Bunch of absolute tjops.

I pity the residents as I would have lost the plot with those cyclists a long time ago. Screw thumb tacks on the road - I would insert them into their foreheads if my Sat mornings involved having to deal with them on a weekly basis!

Hi, Must say the jacaranda Satelite classic could not have done anything to improve cycling image this weekend either. Traffic was a chaos and not safe in the 5 km around the start , I had to stop after breking away close to the finish as there were cars all over the road which included taxis, the rest of route was OK but the finish no good. But if this happens frequently even my that is cycling 6 days a week will get annoyed.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the rubble , stones & glass, but how do we go about sorting this out

Lets all take a broom sweep one square metre on our next ride in the cradle soon enough it will be done :)

Sean when are we going to play a round?

I'm keen! I'm no longer a member anywhere, I was a member at Modderfontein a few years back but couldn't justify the cost for the amount I was playing.

I generally ride along the dotted yellow line now and weave past the bollards. There's just too much glass on the cycle lanes nowadays.

I don't agree that the 94.7 amatures are the biggest problem - in fact I have a lot of time for them. I have no time at all though for the the riders who seem to have poles up their arses because they think they are better than everyone else and can therefore ride however they want to.

Tolerance is the answer, just as it is with so many things. Shame it's so hard for so many people :-(

One of my biggest concerns however is not cyclists, but people in bakkies and cars who seem to have the idea that crossing the center line to pass cyclists, even when it's perfectly safe to do so, will invoke some sort of evil entity that will rise up out of the road and suck out there brains through their ears. (I can't think of any other reason why they have to pass us so closely AND beep as they go by.)

Happily, I have never had an issue with a Taxi at the cradle . . . .

:-)