Cyclist knocked down in St James this morning

babse

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received a message from a friend in the area that noticed 3 GA buses driving recklessly... this after what happened this morning????????????????? Really???????????

I just received a message from a friend in the area that noticed 3 GA buses driving recklessly... this after what happened this morning????????????????? Really???????????

Email: complaints@gabs.co.za

Or tell your friend to and include as many details as possible.

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/blog/news/ppa-calls-for-increased-safety-on-our-roads/

PPA calls for increased safety on our roads

The Pedal Power Association is extremely saddened that a cyclist was killed this morning on our local roads.

The Cycle Tour was started 35 years ago as a protest ride to bring to the attention that very little was being done by the authorities for cyclists and in particular, their safety. So many years later and we are gradually seeing the number of incidents involving cyclists increasing, instead of decreasing due to drivers who still do not give cyclists the respect they deserve.<p>Over the last year, the PPA has spent just over R500 000 on a safety awareness campaign. We have allocated nearly R1 m to expand the campaign in the next year, on a nationa

Until the drivers realise their actions have consequences they'll continue to drive however they want and will continue killing people.

Send a few of them to jail for life and we might see a change in their behaviour.

Awful, sad. Totally unnecessary.

To me it sounds like a) reckless driving, to hoot and overtake where the driver has little passing space, and B) negligence and culpability in that it was the back wheel that struck the cyclist, which means the back of the bus swung in before the driver had passed.

I suggested elsewhere that some kind of fund be set up to pay for professionals to investigate and assist in prosecuting in cases like this. Maybe PPA could help here? If not doing it themselves, then setting up/funding a body to do so.

In this instance the driver is employed by a company and the company is responsible for the actions of its staff. The company should face a civil claim.

I don't live in Cape Town anymore but i have long-standing memories of the dangerous GA buses. Instead of suggesting that cyclists don't use roads like this one, how about banning these huge buses from them instead? Turn it round: it's not the cyclist here that causes the problem, it's vehicles that are inappropriate for these narrow roads coupled with reckless, negligent and in this case incompetent driving.

I would also like to challenge GA to get involved with projects aimed at making the roads safer for all users. You could start by approaching the PPA and CoCT to see how you could get involved.

To friends and family of the cyclist killed today, my condolences, but I really feel that is not enough. As a community (cyclists, runners, pedestrians, drivers -we're all one at some time) we need to change this.

Sorry the smiley above is a mid-read of what I typed B) B ) would edit but for some reason I can't.

Cycled pass the accident this morning at around 8am. Didn't stop to see what happened(ran late for work), Didn't even know it was a cyclist, there wasn't a bicycle around.

Condolences to the Family

Absolutely horrible. RIP brother. I hope someone can post a name to put my mind at rest.

I used to cycle along Main Road between Kalk Bay and Muizenberg very often, now I only cycle in a southerly direction as there is a bit more space, due to the parking embayments on the eastern side of the road. I find that cycling north is just too unsafe, I now trek over Boyes Drive and would encourage other cyclists to do the same. Otherwise on the dangerous bits, make sure you cycle though quickly and own your section of road, even if that means riding a metre from the kerb, which you are allowed to do.

Cycle in the middle of the road when needed in order to save your life in dangerous situations (obviously cycle fast so that you don't hold up loads of traffic).

Once out of that situation say thanks to the person who you slowed down.

Exactly !

I don't really want to get into the definition of murder and what can be constituted as murder, but if the bus driver intentionally drove closely to the cyclist and a reasonable person could have foreseen that such an action could have caused the cyclist's death, the driver should be charged with murder.

Guys, i drive that stretch of road twice a week.... it is s narrow single lane...so while i feel condolences for the fellow cyclist....I do however have to add....driving a bus on that narrow stretch of road is no mean feat....

being a cyclist - I WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO RIDE THAT ROAD at this stage...the guy was taking his life into his own hands...and came short...there is no place for the bus to manuevure...believe me..

i think this was purely an unfortunate accident - finish and klaar....

the rest of Ct aaods..roads, there bus drivers are to be blamed for recklessness...!!!

Edited by Cassie