Cyclist knocked down in St James this morning

babse

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Putco used to have its own legal department just to handle all the claims. The GA buses drive in convoy from town to the Southern suburbs in the morning - foot flat, minimal following distance, sweeping the corners of Albert Road (especially under the bridge). One day there's going to be something really, really nasty like a multiple pile-up.

I wonder too whether these GA responses aren't form letters - add name field, select appropriate platitudes, send.

I remember Putco used to have its own legal department just to handle all the claims. The GA buses drive in convoy from town to the Southern suburbs in the morning - foot flat, minimal following distance, sweeping the corners of Albert Road (especially under the bridge). One day there's going to be something really, really nasty like a multiple pile-up.

I wonder too whether these GA responses aren't form letters - add name field, select appropriate platitudes, send.

They are. Generic responses, possibly even automated.

Wondering whether my email was even read.

Edited by Sound Guy

Hi Everybody

The incident in Kalk Bay this morning happened right next to me! I am still pretty shaken by watching the whole thing. At around 7am I was waiting in the queue of cars on my way through to fish hoek when the cyclist came toward me on his way to Muizenberg. A Golden Arrow bus approached him from behind and hooted at him. I saw the bus overtake the cyclist, and when the bus had passed I saw the cyclist lying on the ground. I jumped out of my car, thinking maybe he was still alive, but as I got closer, I saw that he was dead: his helmet was completely crushed. Obviously the bus' back wheel had ridden over his head. The bus stopped and the driver came to the scene and called his authorities. The cyclist was a young man (early 20's I would say) dressed in cycling gear.

My thoughts on the incident:

1. The cyclist (whose ID I do not know) died instantly - there was no pain or suffering because from the time that I saw him as the bus passed him, to the time he lay dead on the ground, was less than 2 secs. Thank God he didn't suffer.

2. Although the bus wasn't speeding, it was in my opinion going too fast for overtaking a cyclist on such a narrow road. The driver didn't show caution as he rushed pass the cyclist.

3. I feel that for the time being cyclist should not be allowed on that stretch of road. It's just too narrow and even the best driver would struggle to pass a cyclist. A cyclist's route can be designed through the back-streets of Kalk Bay until the roadworks are done. Also, cyclist should take the initiative and try and plan another route - you are actually putting your lives in the hands of a bunch of strangers, many of whom don't have a great track-record when it comes to thinking of others. Sad but true.

4. I would also like to add that, as someone who passes that way daily, I have often seen cyclist riding NEXT TO each other, instead of single file! If you are a cyclist using that route, please ensure that you ride single file and tell your fellow cyclists to do the same! As we have seen today not all motorists watch out for cyclists.

4. My heart goes out to the young man's family who had to receive such tragic news today. If anyone finds out the ID of the man, please post here. I would love to be able to tell his family that he didn't suffer.

What kit was he wearing? do you perhaps know what bike he was on?? I know a few 20-30 year olds staying in that area...

What kit was he wearing? do you perhaps know what bike he was on?? I know a few 20-30 year olds staying in that area...

All I saw when I cycled passed was a buckled MTB wheel, the cyclist was under a blanket.

They are. Generic responses, possibly even automated.

Wondering whether my email was even read.

I commute along a short stretch of Voortrekker and the buses can get a tad close at times. Have phoned and complained and got a very sorry we will talk to the driver.

In this instance I am sure the mail was read by GA however the company is obviously in damage control and will spin whatever they need to to try and protect an image that is getting worse by the hour.

Hi Everybody

The incident in Kalk Bay this morning happened right next to me! I am still pretty shaken by watching the whole thing. At around 7am I was waiting in the queue of cars on my way through to fish hoek when the cyclist came toward me on his way to Muizenberg. A Golden Arrow bus approached him from behind and hooted at him. I saw the bus overtake the cyclist, and when the bus had passed I saw the cyclist lying on the ground. I jumped out of my car, thinking maybe he was still alive, but as I got closer, I saw that he was dead: his helmet was completely crushed. Obviously the bus' back wheel had ridden over his head. The bus stopped and the driver came to the scene and called his authorities. The cyclist was a young man (early 20's I would say) dressed in cycling gear.

My thoughts on the incident:

1. The cyclist (whose ID I do not know) died instantly - there was no pain or suffering because from the time that I saw him as the bus passed him, to the time he lay dead on the ground, was less than 2 secs. Thank God he didn't suffer.

2. Although the bus wasn't speeding, it was in my opinion going too fast for overtaking a cyclist on such a narrow road. The driver didn't show caution as he rushed pass the cyclist.

3. I feel that for the time being cyclist should not be allowed on that stretch of road. It's just too narrow and even the best driver would struggle to pass a cyclist. A cyclist's route can be designed through the back-streets of Kalk Bay until the roadworks are done. Also, cyclist should take the initiative and try and plan another route - you are actually putting your lives in the hands of a bunch of strangers, many of whom don't have a great track-record when it comes to thinking of others. Sad but true.

4. I would also like to add that, as someone who passes that way daily, I have often seen cyclist riding NEXT TO each other, instead of single file! If you are a cyclist using that route, please ensure that you ride single file and tell your fellow cyclists to do the same! As we have seen today not all motorists watch out for cyclists.

4. My heart goes out to the young man's family who had to receive such tragic news today. If anyone finds out the ID of the man, please post here. I would love to be able to tell his family that he didn't suffer.

Thank you for taking the time to come and post here, telling us what exactly happened, without any biase.

Really sorry for you that you had to witness such a horrible thing. I would strongly suggest you go and speak to somebody qualified, as things like this can come back and haunt you at any time.

Thank you for taking the time to come and post here, telling us what exactly happened, without any biase.

Really sorry for you that you had to witness such a horrible thing. I would strongly suggest you go and speak to somebody qualified, as things like this can come back and haunt you at any time.

Yes thank you for posting here! Sorry it had to be about something like this!

I can understand why cyclist will ride side by side 2 or more abreast, when you ride single file motorist think they can pass you getting very close, sometimes too close for comfort, when 2 or more ride next to each other you force the driver to slow down by not giving him enough space to squeeze through an already narrow space. Once driver & traffic has slowed down cyclist can then

Move into single file until its safe to ride 2 or 3 next to each other again, illegal? yes, piss off motorist? yes, but it's the only safe way to do it right now, we need to take mass action like this until the city gives us dedicated bike lanes.

Cycle in the middle of the road when needed in order to save your life in dangerous situations (obviously cycle fast so that you don't hold up loads of traffic).

Once out of that situation say thanks to the person who you slowed down.

Edited by Sound Guy