Cyclist knocked down in St James this morning

babse

Just sent this to them and cc'd PPA.

Hello,

I am very concerned to hear of the news that a cyclist was killed by one of your buses this morning. As a regular commuter and recreational cyclist who does upwards of 8 hours a week riding around the peninsula I have to emphasize that the most consistent dangerous moments I experience are a result of your bus drivers overtaking very closely at high speeds along the stretches I encounter them.

I realise that as a company you have schedules that you try to keep to and obviously your own internal processes for managing these. I urge you however to find constructive mechanisms to allow your drivers to have greater awareness of the manner in which they share the road with the most vulnerable of us out there. The time has come for someone in your company to reach out to an organisation like pedalpower and familiarise yourselves with the safety initiatives they are proposing.

Regards

A concerned cyclist

Edited by Tubehunter

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Email sent:

To whom it may concern,

I am a passionate cyclist and enjoy cycling but right now the GA buses are putting my life in danger. The drivers regularly speed (I cycle past the Ronderbosch Common everyday) and cut corners often mounting the pavement. As the GA buses are carrying people the driver should be driving cautiously as he is putting other people’s lives at risk.

I would appreciate it if you were to please speak to the drivers and tell them to slow down and obey the road rules. I hear one life was taken this morning. I don’t know who was at fault but other incidents have occurred whereby the GA drivers were defiantly at fault.

I pray that a GA bus never kills me as I would leave behind many loved ones. I cycle with two rear lights that flash and I do cycle as safely as possible but I am still very scared whenever a GA bus comes past me.

I hope this finds you well.

Somebody Tweet Helen - WC are trying to encourage public transport and commuting. Whilst the cycling lanes are a start greater protection is needed. This has to make major news. How many parents out there would let their children commute alone in these conditions.

Email sent:

To whom it may concern,

I am a passionate cyclist and enjoy cycling but right now the GA buses are putting my life in danger. The drivers regularly speed (I cycle past the Ronderbosch Common everyday) and cut corners often mounting the pavement. As the GA buses are carrying people the driver should be driving cautiously as he is putting other people’s lives at risk.

I would appreciate it if you were to please speak to the drivers and tell them to slow down and obey the road rules. I hear one life was taken this morning. I don’t know who was at fault but other incidents have occurred whereby the GA drivers were defiantly at fault.

I pray that a GA bus never kills me as I would leave behind many loved ones. I cycle with two rear lights that flash and I do cycle as safely as possible but I am still very scared whenever a GA bus comes past me.

I hope this finds you well.

Good job. Come on chaps lets make this a proper issue. Please send more mails. We should probably include CoCT email in this too! I sent the mail to:

complaints@gabs.co.za

and cc'd :

info@pedalpower.org.za

service@westerncape.gov.za

Edited by Tubehunter

Agree with most, but before we start calling murder lets get facts....

Agreed, I often see cyclist swerving while cars sit behind them. If they swerved while the car was passing then ...

Response from GABS:

Mr. White

Thank you for taking the time to email us with your concerns. Please let me start by saying that we do not condone any form of dangerous or illegal driving behaviour. Our drivers have undergone rigorous training and proved to be capable of world class driving as well as being in possession of clear theoretical knowledge regarding the rules of the road. We have worked closely with one of the prominent cycling organisations previously (unfortunately the name has just escaped me) but that is certainly something to be considered and we are always looking for innovative ways to drive the safety message home to all our staff.

If possible could you please try to remember (and I know this is tricky) the 4-digit number on any bus that you feel is not driving courteously or safely – and pass those details on to me directly (including approximate time and location of incident) – in that way we can investigate immediately and take specific action if necessary. We do have drive cam on half our buses, compulsory refresher safety training for all drivers and inspectors but there will be always be incidents that occur without our knowledge.

Together we can ensure that any behaviour that is not acceptable is dealt with swiftly and that our roads are safer for all who use them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Agree with most, but before we start calling murder lets get facts....

I don't really want to get into the definition of murder and what can be constituted as murder, but if the bus driver intentionally drove closely to the cyclist and a reasonable person could have foreseen that such an action could have caused the cyclist's death, the driver should be charged with murder.

I am honestly very worried. Have many friends in my club who live in that area and commute daily. sad.png

Edited by Sound Guy

Response from GABS:

Mr. White

Thank you for taking the time to email us with your concerns. Please let me start by saying that we do not condone any form of dangerous or illegal driving behaviour. Our drivers have undergone rigorous training and proved to be capable of world class driving as well as being in possession of clear theoretical knowledge regarding the rules of the road. We have worked closely with one of the prominent cycling organisations previously (unfortunately the name has just escaped me) but that is certainly something to be considered and we are always looking for innovative ways to drive the safety message home to all our staff.

If possible could you please try to remember (and I know this is tricky) the 4-digit number on any bus that you feel is not driving courteously or safely – and pass those details on to me directly (including approximate time and location of incident) – in that way we can investigate immediately and take specific action if necessary. We do have drive cam on half our buses, compulsory refresher safety training for all drivers and inspectors but there will be always be incidents that occur without our knowledge.

Together we can ensure that any behaviour that is not acceptable is dealt with swiftly and that our roads are safer for all who use them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Decent enough response. Hopefully it's backed up by some action! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the digits from now on!