Apprentice Mechanics Wanted

Johan Bornman

I need two apprentice mechanics for training and placement at a commissioning bike shop in Johannesburg.

The ideal candidates will:

1) Have matric (preferrably from a technical school) and a good command of English.

2) Be cyclists and non-smokers.

3) Be tough

4) Be prepared to work for a stipend during their apprenticeship and, pay for their own training courses. Once qualified and passed with merit, they can claim their direct training fee back from the employer.

5) Want to work in the bicycling industry. Not on a whim, but seriously think you want to work in this industry.

6) Be skilled in basic technical issues. By this I mean you will not need introduction to hammers, screwdrivers, measurement techniques etc. You will have a feel for all things mechanical and you'll have little projects you can cite as examples.

7) Understand the wax-on wax-off principle and won't skrik when expected to start in the wash bay.

Successful candidates will receive training in:

1) Bicycle Maintenance and Repair.

2) Wheelbuilding

3) First-level fork and shock servicing.

Should you feel you qualify and would like to take up the offer, then:

1) Read points 1-5 above and only respond if you can tick off all five points.

2) Don't think the non-smoker issue is negotiable. It is not.

3) Don't assume Standard Nine is good enough. It is not.

4) Don't expect a kind letter of refusal if you don't qualify as per the above.

Now proceed by sending me a short little CV (you can't have a long one since you've only been on earth a short time) in narrative form, explaining why you would like to become an apprentice bike mechanic.

Don't phone me, don't come knocking at my door. Respond to my e-mail address johanatyellowsaddledotceeodotzeda only.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having done an apprenticeship (carpenter) the request is reasonable. Started my life as a carpenter appie, having to sweep floors, sharpen my journey mans chisels, clean his tools, make him coffee, warm up his lunch etc. etc.

and get a proper PK if I chocked the hammer, or hit a nail with a chisel

Having done an apprenticeship (carpenter) the request is reasonable. Started my life as a carpenter appie, having to sweep floors, sharpen my journey mans chisels, clean his tools, make him coffee, warm up his lunch etc. etc.

and get a proper PK if I chocked the hammer, or hit a nail with a chisel

Which reminds me:

1) You will learn to make good coffee and be expected to frequently present coffee to customers and colleagues.

2) You break a tool through stupidity or ignorance and it becomes your via a line item on your payslip.

Aaaah the good old appie days, the best training!!

Started my life out as a apprentice printer, I was lower than shark **** in the machine room.

I used to get by on my *** wage of R382,50 a week when I started.

Good luck in finding good candidates Johan, that seems to be a tough task now days as everyone wants to come out of school and start on R20k a month or prefer mom and dad to support them and by them jeans too big that sit around their knees all day and boxers just below the naval.

Cut cut cut cut

....as everyone wants to come out of school and start on R20k a month or prefer mom and dad to support them and by them jeans too big that sit around their knees all day and boxers just below the naval.

Which reminds me.

Point number 8:

You will not wear jeans that either show your crack or underpant.

Which reminds me.

Point number 8:

+10 on point 8... No body wants to see a guys crack......

Hi Johan

I hope you come right with finding an appy to train for your courses. I would apply to do it as cycling is one of my passions however I am going to begin studying as an aircraft mechanic appy in the new year and that is where my passion lies as well is in aviation.

So again good luck on your hunt.

D.

Which reminds me.

Point number 8:

If they show up with their crack showing... ask them if they are soliciting?? See below pikcha

post-12441-0-68653800-1351580177_thumb.jpg