SS are fast.....

MuddyMike

This year at the Shova at Camperdown my rear derailleur cable ripped out and I was stuck in my 11. I still had front shifting so not a SS but a TS(two speed). Still it meant all the big hills were done in a really tough gear at low cadence standing for kilometers.

Besides stuffing up my legs for about a week it also resulted in my Shova time going from a sub 3 to a 3:20.

Gears are the dogs bollocks if you ask me. If SS was faster the pros would all be using them. They are great for training though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I commuted to work on my new SS for the first time. It was interesting. The route is 18km and it includes a climb of 300m ascent over a 6km stretch, the rest is pretty flat. I am running a 32:16 on a 26er. Now the interesting part is that the commute took me 56 minutes where as my usual commute on my 29er FS 3x10 takes me 60 minutes at a hard effort and around 65 minutes normally. Now does this mean that when it comes to the climb we chicken out to early and move to lower gear too soon? Dropping between 4 and 9 minutes over an hour ride is significant.

all the answers really been given already. where you more tired at the top of the hill on SS, end of the ride??

next time on the dually, try doing the hill in 32x16 or any gears close to 2:1 ratio and push it up the hill. then also cane it on the flats and downs when your ss spins out. you'll go even faster.

Today I commuted to work on my new SS for the first time. It was interesting. The route is 18km and it includes a climb of 300m ascent over a 6km stretch, the rest is pretty flat. I am running a 32:16 on a 26er. Now the interesting part is that the commute took me 56 minutes where as my usual commute on my 29er FS 3x10 takes me 60 minutes at a hard effort and around 65 minutes normally. Now does this mean that when it comes to the climb we chicken out to early and move to lower gear too soon? Dropping between 4 and 9 minutes over an hour ride is significant.

Exactly that! It's all in the mind and all those gears to choose from takes your focus away from the hill ahead of you.

Ordered my on one inbred 29 frame this morning!

Exactly that! It's all in the mind and all those gears to choose from takes your focus away from the hill ahead of you.

Ordered my on one inbred 29 frame this morning!

Pics when you are done please.....lekker!

all the answers really been given already. where you more tired at the top of the hill on SS, end of the ride??

next time on the dually, try doing the hill in 32x16 or any gears close to 2:1 ratio and push it up the hill. then also cane it on the flats and downs when your ss spins out. you'll go even faster.

At the end of the day I think the SS has highlighted my weaknesses in pedaling technique as well as mental strength when the going gets tough. I worked harder on the climb and easier on the flats. Ave HR for the ride was in line with what I achieved on the 29 DS. I love the simplicity. Absolute silence from the drivetrain although my thumbs did look for shifters on more than one occasion.

At the end of the day I think the SS has highlighted my weaknesses in pedaling technique as well as mental strength when the going gets tough. I worked harder on the climb and easier on the flats. Ave HR for the ride was in line with what I achieved on the 29 DS. I love the simplicity. Absolute silence from the drivetrain although my thumbs did look for shifters on more than one occasion.

She is a beaut. We must make a plan to go for a ride soon. Might be doing the spruit on Sunday am. Will let you know.

Not sure if you have shocks on you single speed or ride it ridged? An amazing amount of energy is lost through the shocks. With a ridged, all you effort is going into the pedals.

I pulled out the DS last week to make sure it works for W2W next weekend - had to thing about how to shift again.

I cannot find any noticable difference in average speeds on my normal training rides (lots of hills) between my 2 geard MTB's my road bike and my 2 SS machines - any difference is statistically insignificant - I still get home by the cut off time I agreed with swmbo.

But I notice a difference in riding patterns:

On the SS

- ride strong up hills and slow uphill drags

- rest completely on faster downhills (and I have stopped air pedaling too)

- on flats lately I have been riding it interval style - spin it out for about 1 lamp pole to the next, rest 1 lampole, spin one etc - this turns out faster than steady cadence, but took a while to get used to it.

On the geared bikes

- medium on hills

- pedal the downhills until spun out

- steady cadence on flats

SS brings out the better rider in all of us .If i am not in the mood for training i take the SS .You get into the mood very quickly at the first climb