Please help. Tried everything

Creme' Boulle'

Hi hubbers

I have been riding mtb for about a year now, and evertime i ride i get terrible neck and upper back pain after about 30km, i am 42 years old and i was on a hard tail, I changed to a dual sus specialized, i have had the bike set up (Ergo fit ) etc etc, i have had 8 spine alignments, 8 deap tissue massage treatments, 2 acupuncture sessions, 1 oxygen chamber session, nothing helps, when i sit down for long periods my neck goes into spasm, can any one help, any suggestions.

Conrad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there... everything is linked...

I am assuming that the fit was 100% correct.

Some people keep their arms straight when they are tired... this gives you a mild whiplash...

Perhaps you are even bending your arms too much and then you are bending you neck too much to be able to see...

Also if you move too far back on your saddle you will also struggle to lift your neck up and that could also cause this.

Strangely enough... bad breathing can do exactly the same... but the pain will also manifest when you take deep breaths on the bike???

I hope you get it sorted out... :)

Who did your Ergofit?

Dont remember his name, he came to my house with all the goodies, needed to change a few things after he did the fit, a mate of mine did a fit but was different to mine, he rode the bike while being videod, used laser to measure certain things, the guy that i used had all the goodies, all labelled ergo fit etc.

Are you relaxed when on the bike.

Try relax your back.

I do feel relaxed, possibly holding on a bit tighter downhill when im tired.

I had a similar problem, back pain after about 30 kms. Ergo fit didn't sort it. Went to biokinetisist who did an assessment and gave me a whole lot of exercises to strengthen my core. Hey presto problem gone! The problem was that as the core was weak so other muscles were trying to help which put them into spasm and pain

I had a similar problem, back pain after about 30 kms. Ergo fit didn't sort it. Went to biokinetisist who did an assessment and gave me a whole lot of exercises to strengthen my core. Hey presto problem gone! The problem was that as the core was weak so other muscles were trying to help which put them into spasm and pain

This ^^^^

Do it. Possibly combine with some physio.

Good luck.

take the peak off your helmut you may be holding your head at a unnatural angle to look under your peak.

Do core muscle exercises correctly .A army situp or pushup is not a proper core exercise .Get a gym instructer to show you how

take the peak off your helmut you may be holding your head at a unnatural angle to look under your peak.

Valid point there. I also battled with neck pain. Lost the peak and problem was solved

check the following:

if you cannot touch your toes then your handle bars ned to be higher than your saddle. THe greater the distance between your fingers and toes, the higher the handlebars. Also check your reach. A rule of thumb is that if you jam your elbow against the nose of your saddle, your middle finger should be in line with the middle of your stem.

Often handlebar higher and bike reach are the problem. Once you have stretched yourself out can you lengthen your reach and drop your handle bars. ps If you lif the handle bars you may also consider a shorter stem as well.