weekly tss score

fandacious

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With no training in January my avg weekly TSS for the year 477, therefore 689/week excl Jan. Not great at all for wanting to improve really.

If 0.86

Weekly TSS 847, IF 0.926.

Easy training week, more active recovery to become +, 2 stage race this coming weekend.

What I've learned so far switching from PowerCal to a real PM. (Also to keep this thread alive as it's been the most useful power training thread for me so far)

My FTP as measured with the PowerCal is about 70% more than what it is with the real PM. I think I can see why on the below power and HR distribution from my Argus 2014. My HR is fairly high (60bpm at rest) which I think translates to an exaggerated FTP on the powercal. That's no criticism of the powercal. I always knew how it worked and what it's limitations was.

Question:

Is my distribution (attached) by any means unusual? From checking my data on the real PM I've realised that when I'm in my red zone on the HR, I'm generally only in zone 2/3 on the power graph. The result is that I've banked 1000's of metres of vertical ascent in recent months but it seems I haven't actually gotten much above zone 4 in the power zones when climbing (or I have but maybe not for long enough intervals). So I haven't really worked on my VO2Max or anearobic capacity like I thought I did. The worst part being, when I thought I was in the hurtlocker I was mostly in zone 2. :eek: :eek: :eek:

It also means, looking at my TSS, I've generally been under training over the last year. It felt like I was going so hard but with the hard numbers of the real PM I couldnt have known this. However, the improvement has been there as is clear by my results but I could've gotten a bit more bang for my buck/time if I had gone harder (I think).

Question 2:

What does the comparison between HR and Power zones tell me about me as a rider?

Eish! So it's pretty much back to the drawing board for me. Testing going forward will only be done on the IDT. I'm starting to really enjoy this power metre. :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

I think it really is irreplacable. The HR based training really improved my riding a lot but this new data is really a cut above. :thumbup:

post-25309-0-76874600-1398261420_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bianchisti

And....

anyone know how to get the Performance Manager Chart (showing CTL, ATL and TSB) in the Power Agent software?????

This is another example. When I'm in the hard zone HR wise, I'm only really in zone 2/3 on the power graph

post-25309-0-64392500-1398261680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bianchisti

Q1, I think you FTP are set way to low, especially if you say that you are only in zone 2 and zone 3. I've done no specific testing with my powercal, however I do use it on my mtb, too keep track of my tss.

So check you garmin and check your pc companion that FTP agrees, I think you also need to ensure that heartrate FTHR are set correct, can be overderstated and FTP are understated.

Q2. well if your heart rate are in the "red" zone, but power in much lower, it only means. you are getting a heart attack, or your settings are incorrect.

I dont have a distribution graph with me atm, but see how my power follow my hr, even though I believe in power training, rather than HR.

post-16406-0-45964800-1398262127_thumb.jpg

Q1, I think you FTP are set way to low, especially if you say that you are only in zone 2 and zone 3. I've done no specific testing with my powercal, however I do use it on my mtb, too keep track of my tss.

I played around with the FTP till the TSS read 35 in the poweragent software and I also multiplied NP by 0.05 and the resultant FTP is about the same.

Q2. well if your heart rate are in the "red" zone, but power in much lower, it only means. you are getting a heart attack, or your settings are incorrect.

I re-did the 20 minute workout today and it did feel like I was getting a heart attack. I started out looking at the power I was pushing and it felt like my legs was going to blow after 5 minutes. So I switched to a easier gear which sent the speed and HR through the roof.

I think all this might have something to do with my skinny legs. I doubt I push high power numbers when compared to most other riders. I know this is to compare me to me. So I reckon tomorrow I will redo the 20 minutes to better simulate the last 20 minute test where my average speed was much higher. That was done with the powercal though. So I will basically start all over using the real PM and that will be the benchmark. Also my first 20 minute test with the real PM was done on a straight stretch of road and my FTP seem to be higher that time. This time on the IDT the FTP seems lower. But from here I will only test on the IDT. Kapeesh!

Edited by Bianchisti

I dont have a distribution graph with me atm, but see how my power follow my hr, even though I believe in power training, rather than HR.

I agree there is a correlation between HR and power, which is where the powercal algorythm comes from. But the difference for me is that the powercal didn't measure the power coming out of my legs. Because my HR is genetically elevated, it gives much higher power numbers measured of HR than what is accurately measured at my legs.

FTP test performed on an IDT can be almost 20% lower than performed outdoors at the same RPE.

You should only consider doing another FTP if you are fresh.

Check that your FTP are correctly set in your Garmin.

I agree there is a correlation between HR and power, which is where the powercal algorythm comes from. But the difference for me is that the powercal didn't measure the power coming out of my legs. Because my HR is genetically elevated, it gives much higher power numbers measured of HR than what is accurately measured at my legs.

But if you have an estimated FTHR and FTP, irrespective if the one is high compared to the other. Zones should still be almost similar.

I played around with the FTP till the TSS read 35 in the poweragent software and I also multiplied NP by 0.05 and the resultant FTP is about the same.

I re-did the 20 minute workout today and it did feel like I was getting a heart attack. I started out looking at the power I was pushing and it felt like my legs was going to blow after 5 minutes. So I switched to a easier gear which sent the speed and HR through the roof.

I think all this might have something to do with my skinny legs. I doubt I push high power numbers when compared to most other riders. I know this is to compare me to me. So I reckon tomorrow I will redo the 20 minutes to better simulate the last 20 minute test where my average speed was much higher. That was done with the powercal though. So I will basically start all over using the real PM and that will be the benchmark. Also my first 20 minute test with the real PM was done on a straight stretch of road and my FTP seem to be higher that time. This time on the IDT the FTP seems lower. But from here I will only test on the IDT. Kapeesh!

Rather take a few days to rest before you next FTP run?

It'll be a more reliable effort if you are 'fully' rested.

You should only consider doing another FTP if you are fresh.

Rather take a few days to rest before you next FTP run?

It'll be a more reliable effort if you are 'fully' rested.

FTP for that 20 minutes is low NO? Wouldn't I be okay tomorrow afternoon? I'm more concerned about this bottle of RED I'm about to klap! :-)

FTP test performed on an IDT can be almost 20% lower than performed outdoors at the same RPE.

That's weird but sounds about right. Why is that?

On the IDT I averaged about 52km/h to give me an average wattage of just over 200. On the road I averaged 34 but the wattage was about 220??