Superglue

No Hare

What can be used to remove superglue from a bottom bracket, all chain rings, chain and rear derailleur?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What can be used to remove superglue from a bottom bracket, all chain rings, chain and rear derailleur?

I am scared to ask why?

It is (slowly) water soluble, so will go soft(er) if you leave it to soak in clean water after taking the bits off the bike. Then scrape it off with a hard plastic tool like the edge of a credit card that won't leave marks.

How on earth did you manage to get it all over your bike? Come on, out with the story! There must be a good one behind the mess.

My 5 year old neighbour and apprentice bike washer dry lube my road bike yesterday… with superglue. Can’t hold the little b@stard responsible, the containers look the same.wacko.png

Not able to remove the parts from the bike, so dippingit in the swimming pool (chloor) is out. Will find out who stocks Isopropyl alcohol in town and give it a try, thanks.

Edited by NoHare

There are beter ways to lube your drivetrain :-)

Seriously though, like DJR suggested, soak it in waterovernight, the sooner the better and hopefully it will soften a bit. Should be able to scrape it off the bottom bracket, chail going to be dicey though

Acetone should work. Get it from chemist. Other option is Autosol metal polish from motorcycle shop. Give your parts a nice rub at the same time. Make them all shiny.

We use to use petrol to clean off the sticky handlebars before putting on new tape. Maybe soak your chain overnight in some unleaded.

Acetone should work. Get it from chemist. Other option is Autosol metal polish from motorcycle shop. Give your parts a nice rub at the same time. Make them all shiny.

Autosol FTW!!!

Their product is amazing!

I would recommend the following, based on previous experience and extensive research:

Superglue works using a crystalisation process. An easy, but not well know method of separating the bonding crystals formed is by means of sound waves. Use a set of earphones at full blast and move it over the bonded spot until you can feel it coming loose. It may take up to half an hour or more.