Bad Attitude MTB ers

Vetseun

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting take on all of this:

When you are involved in a "fringe" activity everyone tends to know of everyone else, so smiling and waving may be the shortest rout to a post ride/race beer. Also when out there on the fringe (bleedingedge) it is useful to have allies/ friends to help justify your madness. See them as your support group.

You help the other guy because you will meet up again and Karma will be balanced.

The rules of the group are easy to learn and easy to apply. See it that the "Lazarus effect" will occure very often because when the pool of available mavericks is small, the wheel does not just run it spins.

However, as an activity becomes more popularand the "Space" over populated, people don't take time to learn the "lore" and worst of all they don't want "more people" involved.

Also it has been proven that the chance that someone will feel obliged to help you is INVERSELY propotitional to the perceived number of people available to provide that help. The more witness to a mugging the less chance the victim will be helped.

So Mtbking may have past that weirdo friendly stage nd those who want to get it back will have to devise some fringe extra extreme version of the actvity.

Anyone up for cycling tourism?

My best thus far...

Started the red route at Harkerville at about 16:30, 5 minutes in my chain breaks. Walk back to the parking lot and this old dude with a bike worth more than my car asks what the problem is. So I show him my broken chain. He then pulls out a quick link and tells me I need one of these, and that if I drive fast enough I'll be able to buy one in Knysna before the shops close.

I made it just in time and R20 and 30km later I finished the route.

Lost some of my faith in humanity that day.

hank the tank, i like you man

ok not in that way

gotta agree, why not greet anyone

life is a joll

shot man. Life's to short , so enjoy the ride!

I try to greet everybody on a practice run, that just the way I was brought up by my parents. Think that is just good manners, if you don't greet me back you will not spoil my day I will still greet the next guy I see.

How can one not be friendly when you in the outdoors and not in the office working you butt off!!??thumbup1.gif

What is this about? If I am busy riding and normally, I am quite "busy" when riding (I focus) and I am enjoying the solitude of my own mental process, just me, the bike and the trail, and some smiley happy person comes along with their "greeting" I am sometimes actually pissed off. I am happy in my little balloon, as you are in your balloon of greeting everyone, so don't judge me cause I don't roll the way you do. If I am in nature I may choose to be quiet, not to engage other people, and that is my approach. No rudeness intended, just the other point of view.

My best thus far...

Started the red route at Harkerville at about 16:30, 5 minutes in my chain breaks. Walk back to the parking lot and this old dude with a bike worth more than my car asks what the problem is. So I show him my broken chain. He then pulls out a quick link and tells me I need one of these, and that if I drive fast enough I'll be able to buy one in Knysna before the shops close.

I made it just in time and R20 and 30km later I finished the route.

Lost some of my faith in humanity that day.

Fwiw I would have done the same. What if his chain broke halfway through the ride? What would he use? He came prepared, you didn't. Why is your lack of preparedness his issue. It could screw up his ride as well.

Also What's it got to do with the price of the car? Do you think he could afford to give you the link more? Not sure I understand how these pieces of info relate.

What is this about? If I am busy riding and normally, I am quite "busy" when riding (I focus) and I am enjoying the solitude of my own mental process, just me, the bike and the trail, and some smiley happy person comes along with their "greeting" I am sometimes actually pissed off. I am happy in my little balloon, as you are in your balloon of greeting everyone, so don't judge me cause I don't roll the way you do. If I am in nature I may choose to be quiet, not to engage other people, and that is my approach. No rudeness intended, just the other point of view.

hahaha.shot man I don't judge anyone. If thats the way you like to roll, enjoy..

IQ of 2, I forgot to mention that he had finished his ride, and was quite happy for me to lose the chance of riding an awesome trail. you are right though, the value of his bike is irrelevant. I just reckon that it is a pretty cr@p attitude to have. But each to his own.

Anybody else ride Spruit today?

If so and if you passed 2 muddy guys with massive smiles on their faces you could have had the decency to say howzit back. One or two did and we did get odd baboon head tilt. The rest of you okes are too larny.

And to the guy close to Fratellis on the really clean bike... Take it back to the LBS. you are waaaay too anal about it getting dirty. You could not have gone any slower on the grass next to the trail. Rofls

@ Sir M - get a bell an ring it.... a lot...

We will be out on the spruit early tomorrow - 6:45 (ok, that's not early...) unless it's raining hard - but forcast says it will be good.

I haven't read this whole thread, but it sounds to me like the OP is the problem . . .

He can't ride for toffee and doesn't carry basic tools or a phone . . . . I'm sure he'll learn . . . eventually . . . LOL

Anybody else ride Spruit today?

If so and if you passed 2 muddy guys with massive smiles on their faces...

Is that because we did many jumps and drops multiple times (analysed and discussed those we didn't attempt) and played in the mud and rain and still we arrived back much quicker than usual for that route? Awesome ride :thumbup:

I was having such a good time I barely noticed the mute Spruit riders. ;)

Really amazing and fun ride indeed. Not many spots in JHB that allows for so much fun to be had.

Yet... some people will never know because they are simply too serious.

If I could I would do exactly the same thing again tomorrow :D

IQ of 2, I forgot to mention that he had finished his ride, and was quite happy for me to lose the chance of riding an awesome trail. you are right though, the value of his bike is irrelevant. I just reckon that it is a pretty cr@p attitude to have. But each to his own.

Aah that makes sense now. I needed some context. I agree with you then. I gave my powerlink away the other day, but i still would give him the benefit in that he may have wanted to ride the next day early etc? But I do understand what you are saying now. And the comment about the cost of the car does make sense then.

Btw power links are sometimes like hens teeth.... Sometimes no stock in any mtb shops in N Jhb, so you can understand that when you have one, you may want to keep it?

We all have a responsibility to ensure that we carry basic spares with us. After posting this fred I now have added a new quick link to my little spares box in my jersey pocket. The only reason that I coulnd help myself was that I gave my link to a person that I helped. I have the following in my box. 1) Plugs and applicator, 2) Quick Link3) One of those copper adaptor thingies that helps you to pump at a tyre at a garage 4) Swalbe tyre pressure meter. Also 2 x CO2 bombs in my pocket

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT