Bad Attitude MTB ers

Vetseun

What is really impressive to me is the number of serious racers we are blessed with in this country. I can fully understand in a race where you are riding for your paycheck that you would choose not to help another rider. Your livelihood depends on your result so, in a way, fair enough. I'm just amazed that we have these "serious riders" all the way down to F and G group on the road. It's also surprising how often there are races on that I'm unaware of. Riding at Groenies or VG or NF on the weekends and seeing the "serious racers" come by with no greeting or offer to help I assume there must be a finish line somewhere.

No intended trolling here but: If you're not racing for your job then you're not really racing, you're just riding. Chill out, enjoy your ride and help someone out. It costs nothing.

Sorry Devide, but we are devided on this ..

So what you're saying is if it does not pay you to race, you should only be riding? I disagree. You can also race against yourself, your mates, or to better your previous year's time. Depending what your goals is, but I believe it is good to set goals in sport as nothing so rewarding as achieving a pre determined goal. That said, I am aso a keen proponent of some social and exploratory riding.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh guys we are really strung tightly. More cyclists that ride with mountain bikes complaining on here these days.

Can't we just live and let live?

Now I can't even do a headshake greet, otherwise I'm cocky? Seriously you have bigger issues than this.

What exactly do you want from me? I'm not a spanner monkey so except for fixing punctures I'm not really of much use.

A new thought - for every hubber that greets and chats to me after a race easy ride with lots of other people (sorry, because I'm not pro apparantly it's now a funride), I'll buy a beer! Beer makes friends. Friends make laughs!

My wife and i started riding a month ago and first ride out i was disgusted at the attitude of fellow mtb'ers. I rode motox and crosscountry for a good couple of years as well as superbikes and a simple nod of the head or lifting a couple of fingers (not the middle one) has always been a sign of respect or can i say achnowledgment that we are both njoying something of a smilar nature. But passing fellow mtb'ers i greeted every single group we passed with a "morning" "howzit" or some sort of greeting and passing by not very fast so im sure they heard me but no greet back. But the Arschloch's can pass my wife and wolf whistle of blow kisses or moch as if they are going to spank her. Now me being the calm natured person i am can also only take that much and turning around confronting a 5+ group of older guys seemd a good idea until i heard a familiar sound af a ratt ratt ratt tazer being pressed. We ride on our own not because we want to but because my father always taught me " meng jy met die semels dan vreet die varke jou"

Geez, by the sounds of it mtb riders are more unfriendly than ANYone else. People threatening to tazzer a guy, no acknowledgment to a greeting.... Think ill take up cagefighting. At least they shake hands after clobbering each other!!!

Edited by Paulst12

Geez, by the sounds of it mtb riders are more unfriendly than ANYone else. People threatening to tazzer a guy, no acknowledgment to a greeting.... Think ill take up cagefighting. At least they shake hands after clobbering each other!!!

True, it's much more civilized.

i disagree...and I made a rather derogatory comment about it earlier...and feel i need to explain myself. For starters, on a MTB you will pass anything from 0 to 20 people in an hour depending on how popular the area is - In a car you will pass 1000's of motorists in an hour, which just makes the act of waving and acknowledging pointless. Second point is that in the 70's the number of cars on the road is a fraction of what it is today.

The only exception would be in a rural farming environment

I only greet Santa Cruz owners....the rest suck

Ag man, julle ou klomp MTB'ers is behep met julself. Julle dink julle is beter as die manne op die pad. Ek ry beide, en in beide groepe kry jy gawe mense en minder gawe mense. Ek wens julle wil ophou om padryers te probeer uitwys as iets slegs. Kry iets beter om oor te kla!

Buy a downhill bike....

Agreed the gravity crew are all chilled out and very keen to chat. thumbup1.gif

I only greet Santa Cruz owners....the rest suck

Word! Syndicate rules...

I have a points system - I give myself 5 points for every Specialized rider 1 vloek. 10 points if I can switch him.

Jimmy has it spot on. We get on our steeds to gallop away for the everyday bull.

Smile, wave and say whazzzzuuuup to all the guys and girls on the trails.

Wear baggies and full finger gloves.

Get as much air off everything that you find. Splash your mates going through puddles.

Be 10 years old again!

Be true to yourself

Be true to your mates

Be true to the trail

Dont forget why you got on your bike in the first place.

Life is way too short to worry about what other people are doing.

When MTB was new and all a novelty and roadies vastly outnumbered MTB guys then the MTB guys all stuck together and waved and chatted and all that warm fuzzy stuff. Now roadies are the minority and and MTB guys are like head lice.

Most MTB riders have not changed over from road. MTB is all they have ever done. Naturally they are all new and excited about what they are up to and feel very clever about their new hobby. They need to reassure them selves that they are doing the right thing and so they pick on the roadies

I have no problem with that. Go for it if it helps build a little self esteem. Just remember that most of the roadies that are left on our deadly roads have been at the sport for years. Most have done more MTB riding than some MTB noob with 2 seasons under their belts.

Having said all that MTB still has a fantastic vibe and wonderful people involved. I find the majority polite, helpful and friendly.

When MTB was new and all a novelty and roadies vastly outnumbered MTB guys then the MTB guys all stuck together and waved and chatted and all that warm fuzzy stuff. Now roadies are the minority and and MTB guys are like head lice.

Most MTB riders have not changed over from road. MTB is all they have ever done. Naturally they are all new and excited about what they are up to and feel very clever about their new hobby. They need to reassure them selves that they are doing the right thing and so they pick on the roadies

I have no problem with that. Go for it if it helps build a little self esteem. Just remember that most of the roadies that are left on our deadly roads have been at the sport for years. Most have done more MTB riding than some MTB noob with 2 seasons under their belts.

Having said all that MTB still has a fantastic vibe and wonderful people involved. I find the majority polite, helpful and friendly.

Huh? Sounds like you and Solis (post 88 above), have some real issues with mtb'ing.

Praat dit uit.

I love dirt, dust , the buzz of knobblies on gravel, the feeling of flight over a decent jump, the mix of adrenalin and fear when you try something out of your comfort zone, the terror when you try something WAAAY out of your comfort zone, drifting the back wheel without using brakes, laughing when you do something stupid and end up in the fynbos, chasing your mates down and being so close that your front tyre touches his back one in the air, basically mountain biking.