Shimano 2012 XT M785 Disc Brake better than Hope Tech M4's

Skylark

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just save yourself over R1000 and buy the Shimano SLX brakes which produces more power than the XT's and weighs only 19 grammes more.

yup! good call!

yup! good call!

I can vouch for the M666's, I love mine. Awesome modulation on them! and they have saved my ass on several occasions.

Funny this thread should come up. I'm currently in the process of a new build and I'm trying to decide between Shimano XT's and Hope Tech X2 Evo. Pricing is similar. I've only ever had Shimano on my other bikes, but I'm keen for the bling look of the Hopes and I hear that they are leagues ahead in terms of build quality and performance.

Does anybody have any experience to sway me one way or the other?

I recently built up a bike and took the opportunity to give in to my Hope & Thomson fetish.

So I got a Hope headset, hubs, skewer and of course some Hope Tech Evo X2 with braided hose and matching rotors. They were more expensive than XT's, but I didn't mind.

I had the older M770 XT disc brakes on my old bike and really like them, but I just wanted Hope.

Not very rational, but hey...

I have a dropper post, ride gnarly trails and don't like or use it... each to his own...

You have a dropper post and you dont use it? whats the point of having it then? Next question is what dropper post do you have? because if it is a crank brothers then I understand why you dont use it. Thats because it doesnt work. Edited by Intense-Fan

Or just save yourself over R1000 and buy the Shimano SLX brakes which produces more power than the XT's and weighs only 19 grammes more.

The SLX's are essentially the XT's except without the free stroke adjustment, so I dont see how they can have more power ??

The SLX's are essentially the XT's except without the free stroke adjustment, so I dont see how they can have more power ??

Check the test results above?

But either way you've made the same point I did.

I'm running these on all my bikes. M675s not the M666s. Pretty much the same I think just the newer model. I don't see how they'll be more powerful than the XTs as they share the same mechanics. But as you say, they're great brakes and cheaper!

Check the test results above?

But either way you've made the same point I did.

Ah, ok youre basing your statement on the list Patches posted. The SLX's are more powerful according to that, but I'll bet if you take two sets of XT brakes and measure them, you'll get 2 different power readings. Same for 2 sets of SLX's, so its difficult to judge based on that list. But true the SLX's are cheaper - and performance is pretty much the same - give or take a couple of Nm's.

I have a pair of the new SLX brakes and they are good, feels about the same power as the older generation XT. Not a fan of the shorter levers though, doesn't suit my setup, but guess I can get used to it.

Reliabilty is my only concern with brakes .Avid cr got me safely through the CPT and i weigh 110 kg with bike .2 other bikes have XT,s and i like them because they are not as noisy as the avids .Avid brakepads are easy to find and replace .I have never even seen hope pads in a shop.I was sceptical about avids ,but after the CPT i rate them highly

Hope M4's on the Tandem with 180mm rotors. They are good

(edit - the rubber nippel proppie has since been replaced)

post-24908-0-82482800-1355223417_thumb.jpg

Edited by eccentric1

Hope M4 Ltd Ed. on my Prophet

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/cycling/Prophet/Prophet_FrontWheel_s.jpg

Rebuilding some X2's for my 650B-style Scalpel project at the moment. Also got M4's on the Scalpel 2000 (3 years now) and Mini Mono' son the mtb pavement warrior (since 2001)

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at getting rid of a set of Avid 7, and putting some Hope X2 or Shimano XT on the PYGA.

Bike has SRAM x9 shifters on with matchmakers for the avid brakes.

Does anyone know if I can get matchmakers that will take the hopes or shimano brakes with the SRAM X9 shifters?

Cheers Bruce.

Hopes are cheap if you consider that the master cylinder and caliper are milled out of one piece of billet. They aren't forged in batches of 100 000. Also if you shop around you can get them for prices that rival the mass produced items from Avid and Shimano.

I miss your point. It is cheaper to mill from billet than to forge. Forging is stronger and therefore can be made lighter. You seem to perceive the benefits inside out.

I miss your point. It is cheaper to mill from billet than to forge. Forging is stronger and therefore can be made lighter. You seem to perceive the benefits inside out.

I reckon the rest of the bunch are die cast - and its sure cheaper to pump out die cast components than it is to mill them. No real reason in terms of strength.

What is forged ('3D forged') is the Cannondale Lefty OPI Inner Leg Stanchion - the reason for forging is keeping 'grain' in the structure, bit like bending bamboo

http://americaninterbanccannondale.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/post-img04-590x300.jpg

Sorry just had to throw in a bit of lefty propaganda