Ok let's hear it vangaalens,laps experiences,gossip??

DIPSLICK

The Freedom Challenge is arguably the toughest test of MTB endurance in SA. Entry fee is R18 500. There are no coffee stations, free energy drinks, borewors roll stands... and the winner gets a pizza and a blanket. So to all the monetary-reward-racers out there... dry your eyes.

EDIT: I personally don't drink coffee, but I see it's a big deal to some... so I will sponsor a tin of Nescafe for next years event biggrin.png

We've done this 24 Hour for 13 years now. There isn't a single thing we haven't tried after hearing significant calls for. We used to do all night coffee (free) even as far back as when we were at Logwood Ranch. We stopped it because it was not worth the effort, mess and expense as too many participants came prepared and preferred to sit at their camps sipping their own.

Maybe times have changed? We can look at it again for next year.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is safe to say 99% of " normal everyday Hubbers " are def. not cycling for prize money, like I said earlier I saw tons of smiles, job done

And that is why we do it. thumbup1.gif

Under gossip:

My mate who was doing the night laps reckons he got flashed by some lady at midnight somewhere along the route. He reckons pierced nipples and all. Anyone else see her or was the powerade he was drinking getting a little reactive...

I reckon that this flasher idea could be a better feature than the naked lap. You could have a couple of strippers positioned all around the route at midnight, and as the guys come riding through, light them up. You will have a full house at midnight on the lap for sure, irrespective of the weather

Under gossip:

My mate who was doing the night laps reckons he got flashed by some lady at midnight somewhere along the route. He reckons pierced nipples and all. Anyone else see her or was the powerade he was drinking getting a little reactive...

I reckon that this flasher idea could be a better feature than the naked lap. You could have a couple of strippers positioned all around the route at midnight, and as the guys come riding through, light them up. You will have a full house at midnight on the lap for sure, irrespective of the weather

Sounds great! Pity there were no naked lappers this year! There was an awesome prize for the best show!

EDIT: I personally don't drink coffee, but I see it's a big deal to some... so I will sponsor a tin of Nescafe for next years event biggrin.png

Nescafe is not coffee..... NOT NOT NOT NOT.... if you think it is, then no wonder you don't drink coffee - good choice - I would rather drink ...... than nescafe :)

I had a great time as always. The route and trails were superb as always which is why I always take the trail bike. Thanks to the Van Gaalens team for their dedication. The riding company was top notch too.

As to the catering, Erik told me he wanted to do it for the event but the organisers insisted on bringing their own. I hope that is a lesson learned for next time...

Nescafe is not coffee..... NOT NOT NOT NOT.... if you think it is, then no wonder you don't drink coffee - good choice - I would rather drink ...... than nescafe smile.png

As I said, I don't drink ANY coffee... but if you want Dough Egberts or something like that, then the tin I sponsor will be smaller :lol:

I heard the lady flashing in reeds was not a young poppie and it wasn't a pretty sight.

I guess she qualifies for the "best show"

Even if there was 15 strippers standing in a row I would have missed it, too tired ,to blind, and I am never in the right spot to be spoilt like that

I heard the lady flashing in reeds was not a young poppie and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Aaahhhh nooooo luckily I missed it then, still would have wet myself seeing it

Eric's route and his attention to detail were awesome.

My comments are that it is a brilliant event, and VG is a great venue. We met and chatted to Eric about the trail. Truth be told I haven't loved all his routes but I love his passion and openness to input, taking it inboard and acting on it. His trails have amongst the best flow ever. He has learned lots and this had all the right elements of a challenge in it. I am now a fan. Well done and compliments to him and the team of trail builders and the level of care for people's safety, worrying about mud on the course etc. You guys did a great job, weather didn't play along.

You could raise your game on the Java though.

Prize money and catering, well I am there for the fun and the opportunity to be with like minded folks and mates. I enjoyed the announcer.

Eric is fantastic, he works TONS on the route and the fact that he listens to riders input and reacts is one of the many reasons we decided to have the 24 Hour here. Having a route designer that understands the unique requirements of a 24 Hour is vital to the success of the event.

Aaahhhh nooooo luckily I missed it then, still would have wet myself seeing it

Ah, so he wasn't lying. He mentioned that he was a bit scared by the sight as well, that she wasn't young...

Latest feedback on the injured rider. He was stabilized shortly after being admitted to hospital. He was in shock but he had no fractures and his neck was also ok. Sadly he lost at least 2 teeth and will require major dental work.

After inspecting his helmet, I was reminded of the importance of a good helmet.

Glad his injuries are not life threatening or altering.

Latest feedback on the injured rider. He was stabilized shortly after being admitted to hospital. He was in shock but he had no fractures and his neck was also ok. Sadly he lost at least 2 teeth and will require major dental work.

After inspecting his helmet, I was reminded of the importance of a good helmet.

Glad his injuries are not life threatening or altering.

Thanks for the update.

Good to know & all the best for a speedy recovery thumbup1.gif