Silence That Squeaky Disc Brake

Wes84

My front shimano/slx has the dreaded turkey squeal ,seems to come and go.Now since its been raining alot... shesa come back http://1.1.1.1/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif

What rotor and what size?

An easy way to fix (some) squeal is to ride with the brakes (slightly) on for a km or two. Heat them up nicely and clean the surface.

Sometimes my trusty Shimanos squeal a bit after a wash, ride through water etc and I find the above trick works well.

Shimano versus Avid? Thats like comparing Chuck Norris and Steve Urkle.

LOOL

WD-40 on discs/pads will silence those babys right up.

It makes you go faster too!

thats funny

Yeah, brakes only slow you down.

Edited by 2Nutz

What rotor and what size?

UHm 180 upfront ,usual shimano rotors. Im gonna try give them a cleaning and slight sanding might work. thumbup1.gif

This has worked for me on Avid, Magura, Shimano, and Hayes.

Should be selling this info for a million bucks... But nothing pisses me off more than noisy brakes in a race/ ride - so hopefully this silences some wailing...

Remove pads. If pads are contaminated, soak them in 100% clean green as do so for the discs too.

The trick is to remove the 90degree short side edges of the pads with a file, place some copper slip (1cm square and about .25mm thick) BEHIND the pads (ie between the pads and the brake piston).

This has always worked for me. No sanding of discs and pad surfaces - causes more contamination... Also I only ever buy organic compound pads - the metal sintered tend to be more noisy..

Spray discs and brake calipers with good amounts of cleen green everytime you wash your bike - wash clean with jet of water.

Running Avids now and they are DEAD quiet!!!

I've just replaced the Avid Elixir 7's on my Cannondale Flash with XT's and just came back from my first trail ride with them. The 1 finger braking is awesome and they have a very nice solid feel compared to the Avids and are quite.

Hope floating disc solved it for me on the rear (Avids with a turkey scream). I tried another solid type disc the other day on the rear instead of my Hope disc and I must have set the record for the loudest decent on a bicycle ever.

An easy way to fix (some) squeal is to ride with the brakes (slightly) on for a km or two. Heat them up nicely and clean the surface.

Sometimes my trusty Shimanos squeal a bit after a wash, ride through water etc and I find the above trick works well.

Shimano versus Avid? Thats like comparing Chuck Norris and Steve Urkle.

I can't get my Shimano brakes to stop bloody squeeling lfor blood nor money, not sure what else to try?