What sunglasses? Old ones were a pain in the neck.

Kanga

Thanks so far guys, are their sizes or is it one size fits all.

How easily do they scratch?

I've ridden with my Rudy Project Genetyks for sometime now. Also purchased for less then half the price on an ASG auction.

Each model fits differently so as SIR M says, try the models on then lookout for the auctions.

I've dropped mine on paving and out in the bush. No scratches so far. Really happy with then.

Oh, as for lense options... Photochromatic lenses do away with the need for this.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Travis.

I am an Oakley fan of note.

But it's been a long time since I bought expensive name brand specs for riding. I don't see the point at all. My Oakleys are important to me - they will not go anywhere near a bike.

A while back I started buying safety specs - the ones used in construction/factories, etc. There are good ones for about R50 at cost from the distributor. The ones I like (e.g. below) are max R200.

And I only need the clear lenses (and no dark rim along the top to obscure vision). Going through deep forest into bright light, etc, I prefer plain clear lenses. Photochromic lenses are a seriously expensive over-kill.

I've even bought the cheap ones that you can get for about R20 each. You can then just treat them almost as disposable shades. A scratch happens on a lens - just throw it away and pull another one out of the cupboard.

And before you think they're a danger to your eyes - they're safety glasses, they're specifically designed for this stuff.

These are what I use. Perfect for my needs.

Most safety glasses haven't been designed for prolonged use. Their lens thickness and visibility isn't as good as a proper pair of sunglasses. I know some people are sensitive and get headaches when the lens quality isn't that good. It does distort your vision and will put strain on your eyes. And yes, they do last and offer protection, but they haven't been designed for sport, thus will fog up too. And I know some of them (not saying the ones you have) do get uncomfortable after a while.

I'm a huge fan of Rudy Project (they will even work as safety glasses). You can pick them up at the ASG auctions (as mentioned) or buy some at www.bikewear.co.za. They last a lot longer than safety glasses and really don't scratch easily.

I am an Oakley fan of note.

But it's been a long time since I bought expensive name brand specs for riding. I don't see the point at all. My Oakleys are important to me - they will not go anywhere near a bike.

A while back I started buying safety specs - the ones used in construction/factories, etc. There are good ones for about R50 at cost from the distributor. The ones I like (e.g. below) are max R200.

And I only need the clear lenses (and no dark rim along the top to obscure vision). Going through deep forest into bright light, etc, I prefer plain clear lenses. Photochromic lenses are a seriously expensive over-kill.

I've even bought the cheap ones that you can get for about R20 each. You can then just treat them almost as disposable shades. A scratch happens on a lens - just throw it away and pull another one out of the cupboard.

And before you think they're a danger to your eyes - they're safety glasses, they're specifically designed for this stuff.

These are what I use. Perfect for my needs.

thats what i use

Most safety glasses haven't been designed for prolonged use. Their lens thickness and visibility isn't as good as a proper pair of sunglasses. I know some people are sensitive and get headaches when the lens quality isn't that good. It does distort your vision and will put strain on your eyes. And yes, they do last and offer protection, but they haven't been designed for sport, thus will fog up too. And I know some of them (not saying the ones you have) do get uncomfortable after a while.

I'm a huge fan of Rudy Project (they will even work as safety glasses). You can pick them up at the ASG auctions (as mentioned) or buy some at www.bikewear.co.za. They last a lot longer than safety glasses and really don't scratch easily.

Interestingly they've never fogged on me, under any conditions, and things get seriously humid where I live. Can't say the same for more expensive name brands.

The clear lens safety specs I use give perfect vision - no distortion at all.

Each to their own I suppose.

The other brand of specs I've used before are Ocean Eyewear. A CT-based company that produces really good shades for sports.

And at prices that are seriously good value - a fraction of the big name brands.

Here's their range:

http://www.oceaneyewear.co.za/vmchk/cycle-sport.html

I've used the SA8 clear lens before and really enjoyed them. Never had any fogging issues. And at R120 you can buy 10 for the price of one big name brand.

What everyone else said...rudy project rydons...great piece of kit, doesnt fog...photochromatic lenses and can adjust to almost any head size..Do it!

Been riding with Oakley Jawbones since they were released... which is roughly 2 years (I think). I won't ride with anything else. Ever.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Oakley. More lens options,more frame sizes,more frame options

If you're wanting different lenses for your Rydon, Linden cycles, bought the new Polar 3FX as a spare, cheapest and best service by far.

And as for lense options, there are hundreds available

Jawbones for me. Best I have used and I have been using them since they came out

Don't understand why people think photchromatics means you don't need other lenses. Do photchromatics turn yellow on heavily overcast days? Photchromatics also have a limited range over which they can adjust. If they start out as perfectly clear then they don't get dark enough for my liking and if they get dark enough they don't get totally clear for night riding.

To each his own. It's a very personal thing

spot on => To each his own. It's a very personal thing

got mine with 3 lenses, clear/Photochromatic, yellow and standard dark.

G

Jawbones for me. Best I have used and I have been using them since they came out

Don't understand why people think photchromatics means you don't need other lenses. Do photchromatics turn yellow on heavily overcast days? Photchromatics also have a limited range over which they can adjust. If they start out as perfectly clear then they don't get dark enough for my liking and if they get dark enough they don't get totally clear for night riding.

To each his own. It's a very personal thing

looking with droopy eyes at Oakley Radar Lock Path Red Iridium, but yoh they are expensive.

Still deciding, its either the Oakleys, or a cheapie pair of sunnies that I can throw away at the end of each year as I'm heavy on sunglasses and my 4y/o son loves them too....

What everyone else said...rudy project rydons...great piece of kit, doesnt fog...photochromatic lenses and can adjust to almost any head size..Do it!

Love my Rydons but they fog like a mofo