Fake Pina's on Gumtree

MTB_Roadie

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter where the frames are built. That is not the argument here. The point is that somebody is trying to sell a frame that is not aDogma and claiming that it is.

The buyer is being misled into believing that he is getting a superior product. Who knows what they are getting

Again... What is a "real" Dogma... And superior?

It doesn't matter where the frames are built. That is not the argument here. The point is that somebody is trying to sell a frame that is not aDogma and claiming that it is.

The buyer is being misled into believing that he is getting a superior product. Who knows what they are getting

Ed Zakery

As far as I know there are two "fakes".

One is where they use exactly the same mould and specifications of the original and sell it either as the original at lower prices or as fake at even lower prices. This is blatant stealing. Think of you sneaking into a factory at night and putting on the machine and producing a few samples.

Two is where they copy the mould and specifications, but then use their own machines and factory at a different spot to manufacture. Obviously this is also stealing, e.g. the patented moulds and machnies and specs.

In both circumstances the quality control might not be there and it is not only illegal, but also the quality might not be the same. We all know the Chinese model is build upon copying, but that the quality is not the same.

I understand the point about it being expensive, but then think about anything you buy, from bread to cars. It's easy to say 20 years down the line it's expensive, but somebody had to risk their capital initially. Whether the margins afterwards are high or low is more a philosophical question regarding capitalism, etc.

I have a problem with a fake as its intention is to deceive you, but if your selling me the white labeled product of the better known brand, then its all ethical and most welcome.

thumbup1.gif

Integrity.

Now that horrifies me.

Johan i am interested to know what your opinion is of these imported replicas as well as no name frames from the East. Please share?

Here's my opinion.

Where to start...

Unbranded Dogma clone

FSA clone cranks

Unbranded one-piece carbon bars/stem

MicroShift Aeris Carbon groupset (aparently lighter than Dura Ace)

Mavic Ksyrium wheels

Alligator cabling

Light Weight QR's

YBN top of the range chain

SpeedPlay pedals

Deda tape

post-1965-0-88563400-1356628939_thumb.jpg

post-1965-0-89050600-1356628944_thumb.jpg

post-1965-0-53295400-1356628948_thumb.jpg

post-1965-0-12771900-1356628951_thumb.jpg

post-1965-0-84963500-1356628954_thumb.jpg

post-1965-0-34092500-1356628957_thumb.jpg

post-1965-0-00188900-1356628959_thumb.jpg

Edited by Azonic

Sweet looking bike that is a super cool blank and probably handles just like the real thing!

But, as others have suggested, why let some con artist decal the blank as a Pinarello and try a sell this as authentic, when it clearly is not? Doubt even you will be excited to buy a car that's advertised and looks like a VW, but has nothing more than badges on and was made at Geely factory as an example...

I read an interesting article on these blank frames. Some are good quality, others are so poor that they use fibre glass to reinforce the thin carbon tubes.

The problem is, when you buy one of these, which one are you getting.

Sweet looking bike that is a super cool blank and probably handles just like the real thing!

But, as others have suggested, why let some con artist decal the blank as a Pinarello and try a sell this as authentic, when it clearly is not? Doubt even you will be excited to buy a car that's advertised and looks like a VW, but has nothing more than badges on and was made at Geely factory as an example...

This whole arguement is just like PowerBalance, where some perceived advantage is supposed to justify a massive price... I can promise you that if someone blindfolds you and lets you ride a "real" Pina, and then a "fake" Pina (that's probably made 500 meters down the road from the "real" Pina factory in China), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That's what the brand names try to convince you of, that by putting their sticker on the bike that it magically justifies a price that's 10x more, and that all others will break and kill you. Not so. I'm sure most Hubbers are tired of hearing about my 29er (blank Chinese frame). I've thrown that thing down Bergplaas that made people wonder what was coming past them. Didn't flinch, rock solid.

Brand slut much? Midlife Crisis? Want some bragging rights? Then sure, go and get yourself a R40k frame. I'll be riding right next to you on my R4k frame, and then ride away from you.

The frame above is made in a Dogma mold, with carbon laid in by guys that know what they are doing. On the Chinese sites you can get yourself frames that are clones of Dogmas, Cervelos, latest Specialized's, etc. I'd be damned if I buy a "branded" bike/frame again.

That's like believing that a shirt that says Billabong justifies a price that's 3 times higher than a shirt with no branding on. BOTH are made by a 4 year old Chinese boy in a basement sweatshop of a Chinese restaurant in Guandong Province.