Archery.

Neg

Ordered myself a recurve bow earlier in the week, can't wait for it to arrive.
My old man is more into bisley and personally I never saw the appeal in it, but this has drawn my attention big time.

Can't wait to get going.

Anyone know of any good coaches in the centurion/pta or nearby area?
Would like to learn proper form and what not for competion archery.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered myself a recurve bow earlier in the week, can't wait for it to arrive.

My old man is more into bisley and personally I never saw the appeal in it, but this has drawn my attention big time.

Can't wait to get going.

Anyone know of any good coaches in the centurion/pta or nearby area?

Would like to learn proper form and what not for competion archery.

I love the recurve!!  

There are tons of very good YT videos that will teach you the basics.

I bought an low poundage bow (27lb) when my (then) young son and I started.  To accommodate both of us.  I still shoot it.  With the low poundage you can practice your technique and not fight the bow the whole time.

I have a 70lb longbow which is a beast to shoot. 

Have fun - it's a great sport/hobby.

Next N+1 is a compound....

I love the recurve!!  

There are tons of very good YT videos that will teach you the basics.

I bought an low poundage bow (27lb) when my (then) young son and I started.  To accommodate both of us.  I still shoot it.  With the low poundage you can practice your technique and not fight the bow the whole time.

I have a 70lb longbow which is a beast to shoot. 

Have fun - it's a great sport/hobby.

Next N+1 is a compound....

My dad has a (i think) 70lb traditional recurve. I can draw it, but holding on and aiming is a workout and a half.

On a side note, from the get go, is it necessary to buy sights and other things?

Or do you learn basics and add that stuff later

My dad has a (i think) 70lb traditional recurve. I can draw it, but holding on and aiming is a workout and a half.

On a side note, from the get go, is it necessary to buy sights and other things?

Go have a look on YT. 

My recurve has a front sight only.  So the "back sight" is the fixed point on your face/lips/cheek.  Teaches you consistency. Aligned to the Olympics std.

This single point sight needs to be adjusted based on the distance from the target.  So remember your setting per distance!!

A reputable archery shop will advise you.

This also saves arrow cost (a few years back it was R100 per arrow, cheaper stuff)

Instinctive shooting without any sights takes very long to master.

Compound will have a back sight in the bow string. 

I am learning to shoot instinctively (No sites). My aim is to a bare minimum bow that doesn't require tinkering in the field. I will alway carry a spare string and bow wax on trips but that is it. Much like cycling the more part you have the more that can go wrong. 

It is very rewarding to hit the target and get a tight group with no sites.  

I am learning to shoot instinctively (No sites). My aim is to a bare minimum bow that doesn't require tinkering in the field. I will alway carry a spare string and bow wax on trips but that is it. Much like cycling the more part you have the more that can go wrong. 

what yardage? Prob 15-20?

I like this chaps work and came close to ordering one,I like the idea of a take down for my back pack alongside my Trout Rod

https://www.heartwoodbowsonline.com/bushbuck-hybrid-bow

The gents at magnum archery sent me the details for a coach and I went to guthries today to shoot.

Totally different to compound bow I can tell you that.

My fingers hurt, my shoulders hurt, but damn it was so fun.
Definitely gonna be a long term hobby this.

• 2 weeks later...

The gents at magnum archery sent me the details for a coach and I went to guthries today to shoot.

Totally different to compound bow I can tell you that.

My fingers hurt, my shoulders hurt, but damn it was so fun.

Definitely gonna be a long term hobby this.

My fingers still hurt after three months of shooting regularly. But everything else feels good and strong. 

I probably just need to get better finger tabs.  

My fingers still hurt after three months of shooting regularly. But everything else feels good and strong. 

I probably just need to get better finger tabs.  

Where does your nock sit on the barebow?

Do you have the arrow placed more or less eye level when you're anchored or is it at your fingers?

As per the image?

post-83023-0-85877700-1613666902_thumb.jpg

Where does your nock sit on the barebow?

Do you have the arrow placed more or less eye level when you're anchored or is it at your fingers?

As per the image?

attachicon.gifbarebow.JPG

I don't gap shoot like the picture shows. I shoot three under with the index finger under the nock and hooked in the corner of my mouth. 

Like this

post-43518-0-25486900-1613696115_thumb.png

Edited by J∆kk∆ls