Archery.

Neg

He is battling with the v grip. My problems were all sorted when I started using a the v grip. He uses it and then slowly creeps back into his old bad habits.

the "string" slap is a nice reminder to stick to one's form wink.png

BTW it looks like you have ample space for target practice there. very nice!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This happens because your grip is wrong (or at least that was what I was taught many years ago). I use the “V” grip. This makes it virtually impossible for the snare to hit your forearm whilst also ensuring that you don’t twist/move the bow when you release. It takes a day or two to get used to the grip but once you are used to it your accuracy increases dramatically in my experience.

Incorrect- it happens because of a few reasons- Poor string care, old string, sting too thin/weak for higher poundage bows, on hunting bows it OFTEN happens when someone nicks the string with the broad head.

The bowstring slapping against the bow holding arm is an ancient problem in archery.Make yourself a "bracer" and strap or tie it to your bow holding arm, this will prevent the discomfort.A bracer is easily made from just about any material you would care to use.Hope this helps.Enjoy your new pastime.

This should never happen. two things to correct here- grip and shorten the draw length. with re-curve bows, because of the length of the bow and angel of the string when drawn, it does pose a problem and yes, a arm guard is worn. also to keep clothing form getting snared when the arrow is release but this never happen on a compound bow- when wearing a long sleeve or jacket- a guard is quiet useful but it should be because the string is whipping your arm.

Thank Wayne- was a lekker day! now i can get back to living/playing and not Planning a wedding! :) YOH, was intense! :)

Incorrect- it happens because of a few reasons- Poor string care, old string, sting too thin/weak for higher poundage bows, on hunting bows it OFTEN happens when someone nicks the string with the broad head.

I disagree with you there.

Give someone with poor form a brand new bow with brand new string, and I guarantee you the person will soon have some red marks on his/her forearm. On the other hand, give me a bow with an old/poorly maintained/too thin or weak/damaged string and I assure you the string will not catch my forearm (unless the string snaps while in use), even after a thousand draws/shots. The assumption made is that the draw length is suitable for the person using the bow (an incorrect draw length can also result in the string catching the forearm).

Let’s just call this a difference of opinion then

Speaking of building a bow

There are some you tube videos showing how to build a bow using pvc pipe. I tried and it worked well

Archery clubs benoni?

Don't now about a club - there used to be an indoor range in the CBD, but they moved towards Isando - a bit of a drive. There is an outdoor range (very basic) between Bredell and Marister (Wildebeest Outdoor shop). You most likely cycle past there often towards Petit.

Oh, and there is a short distance range in a uselss bow shop just off Atlas Rd. - see Bowhunter Mag for more details.

Speaking of building a bow

There are some you tube videos showing how to build a bow using pvc pipe. I tried and it worked well

Must look it up

We used to make a javelin/spear as well which was propelled by wrapping cord round and round the shaft and around your wrist.Then it was hurled like a spear but spun thru the air.deadly and went like a rocket.had fins on the back.Trying to remember exactly how we made it

I disagree with you there.

Give someone with poor form a brand new bow with brand new string, and I guarantee you the person will soon have some red marks on his/her forearm. On the other hand, give me a bow with an old/poorly maintained/too thin or weak/damaged string and I assure you the string will not catch my forearm (unless the string snaps while in use), even after a thousand draws/shots. The assumption made is that the draw length is suitable for the person using the bow (an incorrect draw length can also result in the string catching the forearm).

Let’s just call this a difference of opinion then

You are 100% correct dude!!! twas my bad... i read "String SNAP" Not string slap...... a total apology to you!!!

best i read properly in future! :)

For those of you who have strong arms.

Look up "Atlatl" on Youtube.

The Atlatl gives more power than the bow.

You are 100% correct dude!!! twas my bad... i read "String SNAP" Not string slap...... a total apology to you!!!

best i read properly in future! smile.png

no problems, all good smile.png

• 1 year later...

Ok, i got three bows for sale.

2 for lefties, one for a righty.

Insanity CPX lefty Hunting bow - never used for hunting

Mathews Lefty - sport bow, never really used

Ross compound bow - righty never hunted with.

Plenty accessories and crap to go with.

I spent a lot of money on all this and never really enjoyed it.

Time to sell all of this.

Let me know if interested.

Ok, i got three bows for sale.

2 for lefties, one for a righty.

Insanity CPX lefty Hunting bow - never used for hunting

Mathews Lefty - sport bow, never really used

Ross compound bow - righty never hunted with.

Plenty accessories and crap to go with.

I spent a lot of money on all this and never really enjoyed it.

Time to sell all of this.

Let me know if interested.

I'm in R10 for righty stuff PLEASE UNCLE WAYNE