Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

might be gas!

Yeah. I had a plate of nachos now, so gas is a distinct possibility!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan ahead dirtrider....carry a 5L keg on ice with you like @swift01 did....he made his bike drift with all that weight....classic

Keep you eyes on the Post your SS posts . A CM bike is in the making and 99% complete ! lotsa place for beers and since this tpic is about safety , I plan to have water with me as well .

Hmmm. A helmet is pretty much useless in most cases of cycling accidents that result in severe injury. It protects you in only a small minority of crash scenarios. It also suffers from the "airbag effect" in that someone wearing a helmet is likely to take bigger risks than someone who is not. Helmets also discourage newcomers to cycling as it makes the activity appear dangerous (more true for commuters than sport cyclists, though).

It's far better to be a skilled rider, be visible, be assertive (not aggressive) and generally be sensible than it is to wear a helmet. I have seen countless cyclists wearing fancy helmets who are doing none of the above - they are at a far greater risk.

hallo Darwin, you there, common sense coming in darwin DARWIN you there??

Keep you eyes on the Post your SS posts . A CM bike is in the making and 99% complete ! lotsa place for beers and since this tpic is about safety , I plan to have water with me as well .

The OP don't care about water. Only hellmuts!

Been doing this but I fail to see how this will significantly change the dominant culture of every man for himself amongst most people.

BB dont stress, been there bfore, reality is no immediate results but three or four years later you do look back and say "this could have been worse" and frankly for many that doesnt do it but we must say that is progress, lets keep on chucking at it regardless, net benefits what counts howeer small

You guys crack me up. All we need is Martyn Ashton for this to be a real road bike party...

I'm all for taking helmet precautions but perhaps this is a bit too far.whistling.gif

Ever been on an escalator with a spoiled teenybopper carrying arms of shopping bags two steps up from you....

Helmets saved me 3X, last being a hijacking when a large paving stone was thrown at my head, my helmet took most of the brunt.

Anecdotal evidence. All studies (and there are many) prove that helmets are not our first line of defence against injury. The over-emphasis on helmet use as the way to be safe on a bicycle is counter-productive. And motorbikes are not a good analogy - there a helmet is more important due to the speed (again, that stats bear this out). Google it if you don't believe me.

If you want to shout at someone on a bike, shout at those who ride beyond their skill level, wear black clothing on a dusk ride and take stupid risks like running stop signs and lights.

After reading in a previous rant that the taxi driver who turned in front of Burry has claimed he did not see him, I thought that I would share this idea that I posted earlier this week on my Facebook page. Could it have some merit?

The tragic loss of our South African cycling legend Burry Stander in this week has definitely created a furore amongst cyclists as we continually strive to make our lives safer on the roads.

Could the sport video camera as used by adventure sports enthusiasts play a role in reducing incidents (without mentioning camera brands and for the record LARC Distributors do not sell or distribute sport video cameras :) )? What could be achieved by this if promoted and made aware to motorists, is that cyclists are protected by the "evidence" of these incidents and motorists would think twice to drive carelessly near any cyclist for the fear that they could be prosecuted for reckless driving or even (in the event of contact) a far worse punishment. Hit and run incidents are not always reported as most victims are not able to remember or even see number plates. The chance that this detail could be recorded during an incident would surely be a deterrent for motorists? It is quite an expensive option but only one camera is needed per individual, pair or group. Let us know your thoughts and other ideas. Safe cycling!

I hope that everyone here who is saying " it the law" has a front and rear reflector on their bike and a BELL.

If not you are breaking the law!