I break the law when I ride on the road

Mr SingleTrack

I do, I go over the speed limit to get away from all these other idiots on the road, and that is in my car.

You make me weep bro.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycling on the wrong side of the road is wrong and you're fooling yourself if you think it is safer.

Further, you and pedestrians and joggers on the same path, causes problems for cyclist on the right side of the road. Meeting up is a conundrum. Who swerves and which way do you swerve. I for one, who cannot see behind me, refuse to swerve to the right. That would endanger my life. Therefore, I'll force you to swerve towards the centre of the road. Oncoming traffic (for you) is your problem, not mine.

Stop it, it doesn't solve anything.

However, I can swear I was taught in primary school that doing just that is the right thing to do. Can any 60s child anyone corroborate that?

However, I can swear I was taught in primary school that doing just that is the right thing to do. Can any 60s child anyone corroborate that?

80's school kid and I was taught the right way. Dunno if it changed from your time.

What, there is two lanes on a single track?

The way some people try squeeze past me on ST there might as well be

Sorry for the hijack op but runners thumbdown.gif Was on a ride last year crossing the M4 bridge over the Umgeni river heading back towards Durban (on the correct side ie left mind you) in the yellow lined shoulder. Along come a group of runners (30 or so) in a bunch on both the walkway and shoulder. I had to cycle out into the road to avoid them and they made no indication that they were going to move over onto the pedestrian walkway to allow me to pass. Really felt like giving them a mouthful but kept my mouth shut. Next time I'm just going to stop in the shoulder so they can go around me. Last time I'm risking my neck.

*Rant off

Edited by robinh

80's school kid and I was taught the right way. Dunno if it changed from your time.

They even handed out propper booklets that showed everthing about cycling in traffic. Even changing lanes with a bicycle and and turning in busy intersections. Wonder if one could get hold of those little booklets. Pity I don't have the one I got. I thought it was common sense and binned it. Never thought it would be needed again but alas, it seems so many of my fellow cyclists and motorists need it today.

Cycling on the wrong side of the road is wrong and you're fooling yourself if you think it is safer.

Further, you and pedestrians and joggers on the same path, causes problems for cyclist on the right side of the road. Meeting up is a conundrum. Who swerves and which way do you swerve. I for one, who cannot see behind me, refuse to swerve to the right. That would endanger my life. Therefore, I'll force you to swerve towards the centre of the road. Oncoming traffic (for you) is your problem, not mine.

Cannot remember, I was checking out miss Raubenheimers legs.

I do, I go over the speed limit to get away from all these other idiots on the road, and that is in my car.

Rather don't open your mouth when you talk crap like this. Someone can actually press charges against you as this is an admission of guilt.

Stooopid chirp imo

And it's only the 7th of January. Well rested Hubbers all returning, well rested, to joust! Love it.

If I was American, would I still be cycling on the "wrong" side of the road?

I find it much easier to greet other cyclists when they pass closer to me. Why, I can even say a cheerful "Good Morning!" and be heard. Perhaps we can even high-five each other as we pass?

I like being on the opposite side. Opposite is good. We must always question received "wisdom".

I also sometimes ride on the wrong side of the road when I see fit. Paarl's mainroad as well as the road to jonkershoek is pretty safe for cyclists but one I get on the back roads with trucks and 120km/h speed limit I want to see when someone is not paying attention, tank yuu!

That is just it. Some roads are fine for cycling on the left but there are roads that can barely take a Atos, never mind a truck. That is when you want to be on the right hand side of the road (if you can’t avoid the said road altogether). I am glad all of you are responding, even if your response is negative. I made this statement so that people can stop and think for themselves. I often see cyclists cycling on the left hand side of the road where there is no yellow line or “shoulder” whilst cars etc. speed past them. Do you really want to risk your life like that?

Those of you then know me will know that I spent most of my time as far off the road as possible (MTBing). I only do about 10% of my riding on the road every year, and even then I prefer to join group rides where we stick to the left hand side of the road. If I have to go out cycling on the road by myself and the road does not have a proper shoulder/yellow line, you can expect to see me on the right hand side of the road. But this is only when it is the safer option (and as mentioned before this will be on roads where I don’t encounter much/any other cyclists).

I had to write my original statement in a way to get you guys to think. And I felt a little bit like this anyways devil.gif :

post-27214-0-01720900-1357624207_thumb.jpg

now, let us all give bob 2 thumbs upph34r.png for his name calling.

Maybe in Welkom or some similar backwater...........but at Rondebosch Prep we were taught to keep to the left

I'm a 60's model but cannot recall that. However I my age I cannot recall much

Guest The Bushpig

Ok so I am sure I will get a lot of heat for this but what the heck:

I cycle on the wrong side of the road!

I have lost a few friends over the years due to cycling accidents where cars were involved. In most of these cases they got hit from behind due to the driver not paying attention/not seeing the cyclist. I also think a fair number of these accidents could/would have been avoided if the cyclists actually saw the vehicle approaching. How many times have you as a cyclist been passed by a car/taxi/truck/… where the vehicle passed and nearly missed you as some insane speed whilst you were literally as close to the edge of the road as possible? I like to have my life in my own hands and do not like to put my trust in someone else where I have no control over that person paying attention to the road. I would rather ride into the ditch with my road bike or jump face first onto the gravel next to the road when I see the vehicle is driving on the edge of the road, than be hit from behind because I didn’t see it coming. Yes, I will not be able to avoid it if the car travels at 120km/h and the driver suddenly lose control/swerve into me, but not all accidents happen like that. Lots happen when the vehicle drove on the edge of the road or the driver misjudges/ don’t see the cyclist. I have avoided quite a few accidents by riding off the edge of the road seconds before a big truck passed me that would have hit me (even though I was cycling in the yellow line).

Ok, this being said, it works well to ride on the right hand side of the road out of town, but not in town where there is circles, slipways, etc. (I mostly do MTBing so when I do the odd road ride I ride out of town anyways). I also make sure that I always give way to any other road user like a cyclist cycling towards me as I know I am in the wrong. But in this way at least I have my life in my own hands by some extent. O, and I do stick to the left of the road when I join group rides as the group is at least more visible.

Think about it, it makes no difference to the car if the cyclist is coming or going, as long as the cyclist sticks to the side of the road.

Ok let the flaming begin

No Flaming from me MST. Due to the general lack of driving ability, I am with you on this one.

I do the same if I am forced to ride ON the road(I try to stay as far away from it as possible as a rule); I trust my own judgement far more than that of the majority of road users, and I want the opportunity to take evasive action if it is necessary. I would prefer to see what the oncoming traffic is doing than to be flattened from behind. The thought of taking one up the rear does not sit well with me. I get out of the way if a jogger/cyclist approaching me looks like he/she is having a wobbly because I know I am the one swimming upstream as it were. I ride with my light on, day or night. If it looks necessary, I give a burst of flash mode on the light to get the attention of a driver, then get the hell out of the way if he/she doesn't wake up. I never go cruising through an intersection regardless of the state of the lights.

Cuss me if you will, but would you cry over my coffin and put my children through school if I got rear-ended and killed just to stop you having a hissy fit ? NO? Didn't think so. And save your mace/bats/rocks for the real offenders. I'm just trying to stay alive.

My 2c.

Edited by The Bushpig

And save your mace/bats/rocks for the real offenders.

My 2c.

Like Tess has been saying, the problem lies with ALL those that break the law...

I strive to cycle as safe as possible, not only for myself but also for the next person using the road. I make my intentions very clear, because in my mind, if the other person know what you are going to do he/she can react accordingly. I do get some cyclists doing this contraflow thing and it really makes me mad. Do I swerve into the traffic from behind and stand a chance to be hit, or do I leave the tar surface and end up in a ditch with a broken bike? Well, thus far I have just ignored them and kept a straight line and let them take evasive action. However, the day is certainly nearing when one of these guys are going to do the same and you can quote me on this, that day, if my arms are not broken and I can get up, I will rip an ear of and feed it to him.

The rules of the road clearly states, KEEP LEFT. It is the first rule in this country!!

Use it , lose it.... angry.png

Guest The Bushpig

Like Tess has been saying, the problem lies with ALL those that break the law...

Agreed. I'm not just giving the law the finger, I simply prefer to have my fate in my hands rather than the hands of others(the majority of whom could not give a hoot about any other person). Cyclists generally get no respect or recognition(less than bugs do) on SA roads, so I ride off road wherever possible(99% of the time). I would love to ride a road bike as well, but simply will not risk it because I'd be inclined to ride on the wrong side all the time, which will not help the situation in the least, and cause more trouble for cyclists generally.

I don't expect to win anyone over or argue over rightness/wrongness here: The law is the law, sure. I am wrong. If we ALL obeyed the law, accidents would still occur due to misjudgements and other factors. I prefer to be a live Maverick than a dead conformist. Apologies to those whom I have offended.

Fixed. Better ?

Point taken. :)

I had no idea that "The" was bad language. whistling.gif :D

Edited by The Bushpig