Mugged on table mountain and robbed of mountain bike

Grumps

Grumps. Very sorry to hear you were ambushed today. Please can you let me know where exactly they were hiding (the exact location)? Below the Blockhouse is a bit broad, I need to know whether you were attacked in a known hotspot. I can and will signpost it and make it known to my group.

I will take it up with San Parks tomorrow and I also urge you to lay a charge with SAPS. Only then will the incident become an statistic.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is terrible. Glad you okay...

I also often ride this way (block house) alone too. Guess I'll have to change that now thumbdown.gif

Rhodes Mem gate 5:20-5:25 morning and vredehoek quarry boom gate 16:20 if anyone wanna join..... hmmm wonder if the ***** on the hub! They got my timings angry.png

OP sorry about your experience on the mountain!

We are starting our regular Wednesday morning rides again from this week.

Start at 6:10/15 am at the mycity bus station in town.

I was coming down from the block house at about 2pm and 2 black men jumped out of a bush and kicked me off my bike. 1 guy choked me while the other got hold of my bike and phone. They threatened to kill me but I managed to get away after a struggle. Please guys be on the lookout for any suspicious looking guys wanting to sell a mountain bike its a Scott Scale 60 and its grey/black/white. And also be safe out there and be vigilant when cycling. Try to cycle in groups and not alone.

Hi there Graham (Grumps)- I produce the Breakfast show on 567 Cape Talk - sorry to hear about this. can we chat to you on the show so that we can raise the issue of safety on the mountain once again? Regards, Bruce (bruce@capetalk.co.za)

This is Scaring the Crap out of me. I always ride in Kaalrug Mountains( just outside of Malelane) alone, because there are no other mtb'ers in the area that likes the Hilly Terrain. Everytime im going past a couple of "Mozambiquens" oops.gif I get a shiver down my spine.

But what can we do, i just cant stop riding there just because im afraid something might happen. If i think like that, i'll give them the power over me.ph34r.png

We must show these Idiots that "WE" wont just lie down and give up.

I have spoken to someone at Sanparks and they have been stretched thinly with all the activities on mountain. A report has to be lodged please with SAP and Sanparks so it is reflected on stats and identified as a hotspot. If its not reported its all heresay.

Perhaps, if Sanparks posted rangers at mugging hotspots instead of at the singletrack to specifically fine MTBers riding 'illegally', they could prevent some of these muggings. Just saying.

very sad to hear, glad your ok! very frustrating to hear that still we cannot feel safe in our back yards.

Ride on road = taken out by cars/taxis/busses and scoffed at for not greeting

Ride on mtb = get mugged by the f'n lowlife worthless scum

Anyone tried riding in water???

Edited by Meezo

Ride on mtb = get mugged but the f'n lowlife worthless scum

hijack on

Meezo, eish my bra, sorry if I was rude on the ride. YOu were there one minute and gone the next, and did not get to see you at Vida

Ride on mtb = get mugged but the f'n lowlife worthless scum

Great white sharks anyone?

hijack on

Meezo, eish my bra, sorry if I was rude on the ride. YOu were there one minute and gone the next, and did not get to see you at Vida

This morning?

U see me puncture?

Great white sharks anyone?

Atleast they are worthy for taking my life or my bike!

I kind of agree, I'm OK with getting eaten (a good cause) by something higher up the food chain (sharks) but I would hate getting killed (and going to waste) by something very far down on the evolutionary ladder like muggers or bike jackers or idiot drivers.wink.png

Thanks man,

I've been riding the mountain since i started riding MTB almost 2 years to be exact.... and to date have experience about 2-3 suspect looking guys.....

Confronting them first with a "HOSH" or "AWE", seems to have worked thus far, but if more than one of them they'll take me out!

Unless i KOM away! ph34r.png

Hosh, Awe! Ha ha! ph34r.png They will run for the hills!

If anyone ever experience something like this, please DO NOT try to fight the oaks off! Just give them what they want and realize that your life is more important! If you think you are shocked, these guys are very nervous, and they must control the situation! if you make a wrong move by fighting you might be killed! If you give them the control of the situation they will take what they came for and leave you. I know it "Giving up" but what is more important? Dont be stupid, please? You will be regarded a hero for saving your own life and not a d%$s for being killed because you thought you are Ching chong chuck norris.... BE SAFE!