650B vs. 29er

Zula

Ok, so I know, or have been told, that the 29er is the bees knees and that anyone without one is still basically using windows 95 in an age of windows 8.

My intention is not to dispute the benefits of a 29er vs a 26er, that has been done ad nauseum.

My question is rather aimed at those who have converted to 650B and if they felt a significant effect. I would really love a 29er, however there is nothing wrong with my Zula (wheelsize perhaps) and would like to make the conversion as it is my understanding that it can be converted. This would also cost a lot less than buying a Santa Cruz Tallboy.

So to those who have converted their 26er's, was it worth it and is there a significant difference?

Bicycling Magazine had a test/write up on a 650b bike and they rekoned that it is not worth it as the difference is not significant.

Anyway, despite this.........i also want to go the 650b route. From the little that I know, the wheels and tyres are hellishly expensive

Guest Omega Man

My question is rather aimed at those who have converted to 650B and if they felt a significant effect. I would really love a 29er, however there is nothing wrong with my Zula (wheelsize perhaps) and would like to make the conversion as it is my understanding that it can be converted. This would also cost a lot less than buying a Santa Cruz Tallboy.

I saw a Zula at Jonkers with 650b's so yes it deff has been done. I didn't speak to the owner about spacing or the wheel touching the crown or frame but it was deff a 650b. It was running a Fox fork.

It didn't look retarded either.

Might be worth doing if you only need to replace wheels and tyres. Wheels, tyres and fork... not so sure. If you already have a Fox fork, you may be in luck as many report being able to run 650b wheels on 26" Fox fork.

I found this video on youtube. Its pretty informative. Ultimately the increase gained by moving to 650B seems to be minimal from a scientific point of view.

Might be worth doing if you only need to replace wheels and tyres. Wheels, tyres and fork... not so sure. If you already have a Fox fork, you may be in luck as many report being able to run 650b wheels on 26" Fox fork.

All Fox forks can take a 650b with plenty of clearance

wheels and tyres prices are much the same as 29er's now if you shop around (and getting cheaper by the week)

rims http://www.buycycle.co.za/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=444

tyres http://www.easybike.co.za/tyres/mtb-27-5.html or http://www.evobikes.co.za/tyres/27-5-tyres-650b.html

Also take a look at ebay, there a lot more wheelsets now available at reasonable prices

Guest Omega Man

Apparently it's not the wheel/fork arch clearance. It's the wheel/fork crown and wheel/frame clearance that's an issue.

Apparently it's not the wheel/fork arch clearance. It's the wheel/fork crown and wheel/frame clearance that's an issue.

I have a 650b x 2.25 in a fox fork with no issue and tons of clearance

I built a carbon Gary Fisher/Trek Superfly 100 29er full suss for my wife, but used 650B wheels.

She didnt like it, so I'm going to try her on a Zula with 26" wheels. Maybe even 650B's if you guys reckon they fit.

Anyone in the market for a Superfly with XX?

Seems Fox is the goto fork for 650B.

Any lists compiled of 26" frames that can accommodate 650B.?

So to those who have converted their 26er's, was it worth it and is there a significant difference?

I wouldn't convert. Not enough in it and what you "gain" you'll loose by stuffing the bike's geometry. Go dedicated or stick with what you have. From real life experience I'd say your Zula with it's 69 degree head angle will have same "roll-over" benefits as 29er.

... From the little that I know, the wheels and tyres are hellishly expensive

Not so. Difference in price will only be beacuse of exchange rate, but like for like 26, 650 and 29er tyres cost the same

I have a 650b x 2.25 in a fox fork with no issue and tons of clearance

It is tyre and brand specific. And not all 2.25 tyres are created equal.

Any pointers for 650B rubber locally?

BuyCycle has Schwalbe 650B Racing Ralph's - wot about Nobbly Nics?

Importer has stock on it's way. Definitely getting me one for a front tyre

Seems Fox is the goto fork for 650B.

Any lists compiled of 26" frames that can accommodate 650B.?

Do a google search. There's a dedicated 650B site and mtbr has LOTS of info.

Edited by The Crow

I wouldn't convert. Not enough in it and what you "gain" you'll loose by stuffing the bike's geometry. Go dedicated or stick with what you have. From real life experience I'd say your Zula with it's 69 degree head angle will have same "roll-over" benefits as 29er.

Not so. Difference in price will only be beacuse of exchange rate, but like for like 26, 650 and 29er tyres cost the same

It is tyre and brand specific. And not all 2.25 tyres are created equal.

Importer has stock on it's way. Definitely getting me one for a front tyre

Do a google search. There's a dedicated 650B site and mtbr has LOTS of info.

Thanks Crow. That pretty much sums up my suspicions. I guess its better to start putting ZAR away for that Tallboy.

Its like having a girlfriend with an A cup -- Almost boobs

She has a boob job and gets a B cup -- Boobs

Just go for boobs, bigger is better in some instances

Bikes are just like tjerries, some are built for speed, some are build for comfort whistling.gif