Cyclists and road laws. Red lights, etc. (merged)

The Ouzo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can't wait to see that big group of riders all stopped at every red robot at 06h00 on the main road from Atlas to east rand mall....eek.gif & not a car in sightph34r.png

Oops my bad I see someone has already pointed out the definitions...

Some need to be "enlightened" repeatedly, and some personally....hence the abundance of idiots fighting over the same crap sleep.png

can't wait to see that big group of riders all stopped at every red robot at 06h00 on the main road from Atlas to east rand mall....eek.gif & not a car in sightph34r.png

Getting very late on the conversation, but surely that is the point. You should stop. Not just go through because everyone else is going. But you should stop. All it takes is you. Maybe over a course of six months, 12 months, who knows, but the whole group might just follow your actions.

I suppose the analogy to a car might not work. But do folk stop at red lights, even if their are no other vehicles around ?

Yes, I agree, there is the law, and there is common sense. But the law is the law, common sense is not always common.

Well, it certainly did not happen Tues, Wed and Thu this week.

Getting very late on the conversation, but surely that is the point. You should stop. Not just go through because everyone else is going. But you should stop. All it takes is you. Maybe over a course of six months, 12 months, who knows, but the whole group might just follow your actions.

I suppose the analogy to a car might not work. But do folk stop at red lights, even if their are no other vehicles around ?

Yes, I agree, there is the law, and there is common sense. But the law is the law, common sense is not always common.

yeah sorry, for some reason the hub was down for me yesterday....would not connect. Yes I agree fully on the, the law is the law, I just don't see what I said above happening.

Maybe I keep going back to my childhood riding in my BMX "gang"unsure.png I dont remember stopping at much......not saying it was right, I just loved the freedom of riding then and I have that same feeling when I ride now.

Wow, hard to believe all the vitriol and insults directed my way because I asked a question. Especially as I prefixed my question with an apology AND indicated later on that I thought the practice was stupid and unsafe.

Thanks, to the rational people amongst us who answered the question in a rational and civil manner.

Wow, hard to believe all the vitriol and insults directed my way because I asked a question. Especially as I prefixed my question with an apology AND indicated later on that I thought the practice was stupid and unsafe.

Thanks, to the rational people amongst us who answered the question in a rational and civil manner.

Yeah, it can get rof out here, sluiper.

Be safe out there on the roads, man.

yeah sorry, for some reason the hub was down for me yesterday....would not connect. Yes I agree fully on the, the law is the law, I just don't see what I said above happening.

Maybe I keep going back to my childhood riding in my BMX "gang"unsure.png I dont remember stopping at much......not saying it was right, I just loved the freedom of riding then and I have that same feeling when I ride now.

and right there is the hypocrit in me, and something I wonder about all the time, and yes it involves common sense. To get to our main road, I ride through a few stop strees to get to the road. Do you think I stop at every stop street ? But I sure do stop at every robot !

Now that my little one is starting top push herself around on a JD bug, we are teaching her to stop at every stop street. Parents are having to change their habits, cause little one notices everything, including when we dont stop in our car !

I have a dream that all cyclists and motorists shall use the roads in harmony and there will be no bloodshed amongst either group.

I have a dream that it will not be the laws that govern us but our humanity - that simple respect for your fellow man.

I have a dream that we can all as road users rise above our arrogance and admit when we are wrong. That we may never try to justify a wrong by only making it worse.

I have dream that as the city goes forward, as the country evolves there will be adequate consideration for all road users motorists and cyclists alike.

I find the entire mentality Ironic, when cyclists die we are the first to scream and shout and point fingers at egotistical, testosterone induced, impatient, arrogant, and aggressive drivers that hate cyclists. Sadly this is the mentality of 99% of vehicle drivers and then we scream with tears in our eyes they should obey the laws, follow the speed limit, drive considerately etc. Which is a valid plea.

But .........

Then we go @#$@# it up by the mentality that if i cycle alone ill follow the rules but hell if I am in a bunch the rules don't apply to me and stopping at robots is just not an option due to training analysis and logistical issues of stopping.

Well being deadly honest here chaps and roast me away.... But you guys with this mentality are @#$@#ing up the reputation of cyclists everywhere, you guys are the excuse used by motorists why they should not accommodate cyclists, "cyclists keep on breaking the law so if they get hit by us its their fault"

Follow the damn law, if you expect others to follow the law you need to do the same. I don't care how that affects your training, if there is enough of a shoulder to bunch in the shoulder, then by all means do it. But if there is no shoulder or a thin shoulder, or a robot approaching you thin out into single file and you stop.

If you don't like doing this then i suggest you find a road where this wont be an issue. i.e. long road with minimal traffic, broad shoulders, and no robots.

Spot on Covie, I often get words from riders when I stop at a red light and block the cyclists who want to cruse on through (granted I stop at an angle to bock them coming through).

I head out from Lakeside, obey the robots and what not until Simons Town, there are only 6 robots on the way, and on average I hit half of them red, so thats only three short stops, I know how to unclip and can use my gears so it isnt a problem for me. Then I have a free run of 37 km without a robot (one stop street in Scarborough) though to Sun Valley. As you say its about picking your route. I always avoid routes like the Main Road, riding through Town etc... because it is just to annoying to stop.

What about boxes like this that drive just how they want in peak morning traffic.

He stopped at a red light and proceeded to drive off. Also appeared to be under the influence of something. Couldn't stay in his lane and had the left turn signal on for a couple of blocks.

68627_10151168376241557_2048122282_n.jpg

Yes I took the photo while stopped at the red light. I didn't kill any children in the process.

What about boxes like this that drive just how they want in peak morning traffic.

He stopped at a red light and proceeded to drive off. Also appeared to be under the influence of something. Couldn't stay in his lane and had the left turn signal on for a couple of blocks.

68627_10151168376241557_2048122282_n.jpg

Yes I took the photo while stopped at the red light. I didn't kill any children in the process.

To drive that car he must be mull in the kop.

Nee, Ouzo, nee!!!

Jy wou nie jou ride spoil nie, toe spoil jy dit maar net vir ons almal!!! More doen hy dit weer en n motorbestuurder sien dit raak en blame ONS, nie net hom nie!

Dieselfde het vanoggend met my en my riding buddy gebeur. Staan doodluiters en wag vir die rooi lig om groen te raak. Volgende oomblik stop hier nog iemand langs ons, groet mooi en volgende oomblik ry hy doodluisters aan oor die lig.

Ek het op hom geskree en hom mooi vertel wat hy moet doen en wat hy is!!!!

Hy kan blerrie bly wees die volgende lig was ook rooi, anders het hy n baie mooi snotklap gekry!!!

"Policing starts with us" Ons kannie verwag die volgende een gaan dit doen nie!!!!!!

Nou dis my RANT

Sommer weer van voor af kwaad, en sommer vir jou ook ouzo

Jis BMCfan, bly dit was nie ek nie. Anners het ons nou albei by Muggs gesitclap.gif