Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

I just want to add one tiny thing.

When i was a lightie White 18 years old boys went to the army and you SUFFERED. And the more you could endure the better. In sport Bruce Fordyce, Nic Bester and those cats were GODS and every year we'd all pile around the tele and watch comrades.

The ability to k@k off for hours and hours is held in high regard in this country. And in particular by the okes with money. I.e. the lighties that went to the army and k@kked off who are now in their 40's with money to burn. So to me it makes perfect sense that marathon is huge in this country.

The ability to suffer and keep pushing is and should be praised.

This same mindset should also be applied to more technical trails and in improving ones skills on these trails.

Watched a snippet on the news where they showed some MTB event held recently, the front runners approach a little stream ( I seriously mean little!) and they struggled to get through......they looked like a bunch of roadies going through there.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It follows on from Omega Man's post, "they/them" referring to a large volume of the MTBers.

When I say don't know better, I'm referring to the knowledge that there are other genres within MTB (XCO, XCM, XCE, AM/Trail (or Enduro for racing), DH, DJ, drinking beer, etc.) each have their pros and cons and some people have more of an aptitude for one than another.

I tend to do more AM/Trail riding than anything else, because of lack of time, fitness (did an intervarsity XCO event or 2 when I was fitter), etc.

But I'll still be doing the Origin of Trails.

ah ok, I see now, and yes I agree each discipline are lekker in their own right.

I also just had a brainfart after omega's post, here it goes. Just a theory at the moment

So johnny visvingers decides he wants to start mtb'ing after watching the epic / nissan / mtn race on tv or he went and supported his brother-in-law at a marathon event. Decided this looks like fun, I want to give it a go.

So first off, the exposure that he got of mtb'ing as well as the family and friends are of the marathon scene. Already enduro is on the backfoot, he then saves up 8000 rand(he wants to see if mtb'ing is for him without breaking the bank) thinking that this will get him a bike and walks into lbs with friend. Now 8000 ito enduro bike and kit wont take him very far, so an entry level 29er hardtail is suggested as the best bang for his buck(and it is) considering

He wants to ride with his friends

Wants to participate in the event he saw

His budget

The shop then re-stocks with more 29ers cause they got sold, race organizers are smiling cause they have another guy buying entries to their events so they create more marathon races to keep up with demand

And the wheels of the bus goes round and round.

Guest Omega Man

ah ok, I see now, and yes I agree each discipline are lekker in their own right.

1 million percent agree. I commuted in to the office on Monday. I've got a nice car but riding my bike on the cycle path was kaaaaaak fun. 

Trail bike is pretty much a do it all bike,barring DH obviously. I think there is something wrong with people who say marathon races are Lekka,I would rather bomb down trails for a couple of days than ride up hills and ride service roads.

Trail bike is pretty much a do it all bike,barring DH obviously. I think there is something wrong with people who say marathon races are Lekka,I would rather bomb down trails for a couple of days than ride up hills and ride service roads.

That is because you are getting old and fat Marius :P

I don't mind a bit of jeep track and a decent climb as long as it heads to an awesome trail pointing down.

Really enjoy a tech ST climb .... even though it kills me and I can taste blood (sadly I am broken very quickly into these) .... but this game is all about bike handling and balance at slow speeds

would be nice if they included a nice tech ST climbing section as one of the enduro stages .... something not too long and not short, but that would loose you time if you get off and push up and over obstacles vs riding up and over them

would be nice if they included a nice tech ST climbing section as one of the enduro stages .... something not too long and not short, but that would loose you time if you get off and push up and over obstacles vs riding up and over them

Don't worry guys, I'll let Hairy know his account has been hacked and somebody is posting insanities from it...

If you are fit marathons can be a blast. I ride Attakwas whenever I can on my trail bike, and I keep going back, because it is such a blast.

I will rather ride boring gravel road than sit on the couch and watch TV.

Technical trails that point downward are still my favourite though.

It will be cool, but I am honestly saying I havent seen a shift, if anything the marathon scene has just grown stronger(more races). Exposure as you have pointed out is the main culprit...Lets face it, it will be cheaper to put up a marathon race than an enduro type race and the organizers are in it for the money. Secondly as Omega pointed out, "their friends are doing it", don't underestimate this since I will also rather ride the cradle with a group of my mates, than an epic trail all by my lonesome. I love the social aspect of mtb'ing, so riding alone isn't an option for alot of people. They would rather participate with their friends in events or trails that they dont really like than all alone at the place they prefer.

The timing is the hardest part in organising an Enduro. It is easy to find trails suitable for a 4 stage enduro. You will be amazed at how technical an intermediate section of trail can become if it is being timed and the mix of competition, ego and adrenalin kicks in.

But like you said, organisers are in it for the money and will concentrate on mass participation. I organised an Enduro this year and we just about broke even, which is good for a first event of its kind in our province. I am not a professional organiser though.

1 million percent agree. I commuted in to the office on Monday. I've got a nice car but riding my bike on the cycle path was kaaaaaak fun. 

Someone obviously also hacked Omega Mans hub account or I'm starting to see things. I recall stories of a road bike too.  :ph34r:  ;) :eek:

Oh and to add, I would personally love to see a mixed bag event...Some Enduro, some marathon, maybe some XCE or downhill or XCO, where you can only choose 1 weapon for the weekend.

Hakahana, watch this space!

Maybe not one bike for the weekend but a weekend featuring multiple discipline races over one Weekend "hakahana festival" if I may call it that. XCO, XCM and #enduro races over one weekend. At a later stage maybe even a short DH race, pump track race and maybe even a few dirt jumps for a mini slopes style comp. Maybe even throw in some camping (maybe).

Edited by Nofearnofun

Someone obviously also hacked Omega Mans hub account or I'm starting too see things. I recall stories of a road bike too. :ph34r: ;) :eek:

ROAD BIKE....THAT IS NOT COMMUTING, BUT ROADIE CYCLING

That is because you are getting old and fat Marius :P

I don't mind a bit of jeep track and a decent climb as long as it heads to an awesome trail pointing down.

Really enjoy a tech ST climb .... even though it kills me and I can taste blood (sadly I am broken very quickly into these) .... but this game is all about bike handling and balance at slow speeds

True that,you forgot that as we get older we shrink as well,LMFAO!!!

Dude you can come talk k@k about climbing in enduro stages when you actually come race one  :ph34r: