Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

What about a frameset? Use all your existing bits. Something like a Transition / Banshee / Kona / Giant... Still reasonably priced, and you'd get a good bike for less than a complete new bike.

Must say that Kona 153 for R48k on Diald is bloody lekker value. Bit portly, but it's a lot of bike.

Anyways, I may have an alternative solution to my problem which will see me on the Stumpy a bit longer and then save for the inevitable old stock bargain when 2017 ranges launch and people get gut punched by the ZAR

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say that Kona 153 for R48k on Diald is bloody lekker value. Bit portly, but it's a lot of bike.

Anyways, I may have an alternative solution to my problem which will see me on the Stumpy a bit longer and then save for the inevitable old stock bargain when 2017 ranges launch and people get gut punched by the ZAR

Portly Schmortly. :)

I've come to realise that weight is not always a good thing to lose on a bike. Up to a point, yes - but too light could also get you into a bit of trouble in our crosswinds!

Bloody hell, that IS a good deal. Considering the USD, that is. 

Portly Schmortly. :)

I've come to realise that weight is not always a good thing to lose on a bike. Up to a point, yes - but too light could also get you into a bit of trouble in our crosswinds!

crosswinds ....... what, is this a roadie bike ...... :ph34r:

NGHHHHHHH!

Do not tempt me... That's what I'm saving for at the moment. 

They aren't lighter. Not significantly. (well. The ones I had.) But sooooo steeeeeff!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

They aren't lighter. Not significantly. But sooooo steeeeeff!

I know... That's the one takeaway I got from riding Iwan's Hungry Monkey. The steering was just.... yeah. It makes it feel soooo much sharper and more deliberate. 

LOL. Yes. It's me trying to persuade myself not to spend any more this month... 

BTW, any clue what those hipster "Handgemaakde" rims cost?

I've spent some time now on a 2012 Trance X whilst waiting for my fork issues to be remedied.

Few comments on the #enduro driven bike advancements since then:

- Bikes now aren't (in my opinion) more fun;

- Geometry changes to slacker and lower have opened up technical riding to more people I reckon (i.e. they've made riding your bike a bit less hairy)

- The most important technological advancements in the last 3 years have to be clutch derailleurs and n/w chainrings;

- MOAR Suspension travel is a bit overrated, in South Africa at least.

BTW, any clue what those hipster "Handgemaakde" rims cost?

Entirely too much for my pocket... 

I'm going this way: V12man has a few sets, and Jason at Trailhead rates them highly, apparently.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1365

OR

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1289

OR

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1290

At $ 160 per rim, it's significantly cheaper than any other options. Other option is the LightBicycle rims. 

Build them up with some Hope Pro4's, and BAM.