Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

You looking for a long travel monster truck or shorter travel and playfull/nimble bike?

If you want a monster truck there have been a few very nice Giant Reigns in the classifieds lately for around that price...

I ride trails during the week mostly then on weekends jump parks or downhill-ish tracks like Hellsend. Trying to find what would work for that combo. Hardtail is just too hard on my body.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride trails during the week mostly then on weekends jump parks or downhill-ish tracks like Hellsend. Trying to find what would work for that combo. Hardtail is just too hard on my body.

So you need an all rounder...

Wheel size should be an after thought, ratyer look for the ride qualities you want. If I was you I'd be looking at a Giant Trance (king of the all rounder category, and there are usually a few in the classfieds), or a Reign if you want a monster truck (but won't be as playful).

If you want to go the 29" route I'd look at Specialized Stumpy - there should be a few of the 2016-2018 models going into the classifieds now with the new model out.

So you need an all rounder...

Wheel size should be an after thought, ratyer look for the ride qualities you want. If I was you I'd be looking at a Giant Trance (king of the all rounder category, and there are usually a few in the classfieds), or a Reign if you want a monster truck (but won't be as playful).

If you want to go the 29" route I'd look at Specialized Stumpy - there should be a few of the 2016-2018 models going into the classifieds now with the new model out.

Great. Thanks for the advice. Would you look at the Silverback Slider 2 at all?

Great. Thanks for the advice. Would you look at the Silverback Slider 2 at all?

Yeah, for sure, Silverback are doing a bunch of things right at the moment. To be honest, there are so many good options at your price point. Just make sure the bike you are buying has good suspension, and a head angle on the slcaker side of things and you should be good to go...

Yeah, for sure, Silverback are doing a bunch of things right at the moment. To be honest, there are so many good options at your price point. Just make sure the bike you are buying has good suspension, and a head angle on the slcaker side of things and you should be good to go...

Really appreciate the advice! Will scour the classifieds for the perfect next bike.

Hey guys and gals. What would you suggest for an enduro bike on a budget of around R15k? I’m happy buying second hand.

What Size? There is a stunning medium Banshee in the classifieds, and you might be able to negotiate with the seller.  

What Size? There is a stunning medium Banshee in the classifieds, and you might be able to negotiate with the seller.

Looking for a medium. Will take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

I was lucky enough to own a Banshee frame like that and it was a flipping awesome ride!

To be honest that Banshee is the best value bike about in the ads at the moment. If you could have a haggle and meet closer to your number then you'd have a ride that has great parts (very nice Zee brakes, 30mm rims, 170mm 1x drive chain and those Mattoc forks are really, really good) and a killer frame with good geo. Might need to factor in a dropper though. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/367206-perfect-canadian-enduro-ripping-beast/

I've had one before and it's a really good all rounder which really shines on the downs. You can take it for longer days out as well as easily take on the steeper stuff and all with a big smile on your face. 

It does look a bit agricultural in those shots, not sure why as they are a lot more good looking in the flesh. What I liked about the frame was a great suspension design, fun handling, brilliant descending, that you can alter the Geo to slack it out if you wanted and that it was an alu frame that was designed as such and not just a carbon model that they'd knocked out a cheaper metal version for more sales. They only design and build alu frames. 

Looking about there isn't much in your size / price in the ads at the moment. There is a poorly spec'd Trance that will be found out quickly, a bottom of the range Fuel EX that has low rent components and fork, that Slider is good but that may need a frork and rear can service and could do with an upgrade or two in the near future (add a dropper, wider wheels, brakes, check wear on chain cassette etc maybe beef up the fork in a bit with a pike or mattoc) which will cost alot more. 

I know it's a bit of 'I came here with a R15k budget and everyone else is showing me R20k bikes but the difference between a R15k and a R20k bike can be massive and really it can save you more money in the long run as often a R15k bike will need upgrades and replacement cassettes / chain / tyres / bearing service / shock service (front and back can easily cost you R2k+) etc and that needs to be factored in. I honestly don't know the seller and I'm not blowing smoke up his pipes but it seems he knows his stuff from the build, the fact he's serviced the fork, rear can and bearings and is throwing in some (good) extras. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

To be honest that Banshee is the best value bike about in the ads at the moment. If you could have a haggle and meet closer to your number then you'd have a ride that has great parts (very nice Zee brakes, 30mm rims, 170mm 1x drive chain and those Mattoc forks are really, really good) and a killer frame with good geo. Might need to factor in a dropper though. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/367206-perfect-canadian-enduro-ripping-beast/

I've had one before and it's a really good all rounder which really shines on the downs. You can take it for longer days out as well as easily take on the steeper stuff and all with a big smile on your face. 

It does look a bit agricultural in those shots, not sure why as they are a lot more good looking in the flesh. What I liked about the frame was a great suspension design, fun handling, brilliant descending, that you can alter the Geo to slack it out if you wanted and that it was an alu frame that was designed as such and not just a carbon model that they'd knocked out a cheaper metal version for more sales. They only design and build alu frames. 

Looking about there isn't much in your size / price in the ads at the moment. There is a poorly spec'd Trance that will be found out quickly, a bottom of the range Fuel EX that has low rent components and fork, that Slider is good but that may need a frork and rear can suspension and could do with an upgrade or two in the near future (add a dropper, wider wheels, brakes, check wear on chain cassette etc maybe beef up the fork in a bit) which will cost alot more. 

I know it's a bit of 'I came here with a R15k budget and everyone else is showing me R20k bikes but the difference between a R15k and a R20k bike can be massive and really it can save you more money in the long run as often a R15k bike will need upgrades and replacement cassettes / chain / tyres / bearing service / shock service (front and back can easily cost you R2k+) etc and that needs to be factored in. I honestly don't know the seller and I'm not blowing smoke up his pipes but it seems he knows his stuff from the build, the fact he's serviced the fork, rear can and bearings and is throwing in some (good) extras. 

Agreed, sometimes you just have to break the budget, especially if its a used item. Hopefully you have factored in a max number to your 15k budget. That Banshee has been very looked after as well. So its basically a get on and enjoy the trails kind of deal. 

If you can afford it, and it'a your size - this is the one. All you need to put on that bike is a Lyne dropper post.

Looking about there isn't much in your size / price in the ads at the moment. There is a poorly spec'd Trance that will be found out quickly, a bottom of the range Fuel EX that has low rent components and fork, that Slider is good but that may need a frork and rear can suspension and could do with an upgrade or two in the near future (add a dropper, wider wheels, brakes, check wear on chain cassette etc maybe beef up the fork in a bit) which will cost alot more.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Appreciate it. I think the points you make regarding what might need to be spent afterwards when buying a different bike is very valid.

I will have to see if I can get closer to the amount he is asking. Seems like it is exactly the bike I need.

To be honest that Banshee is the best value bike about in the ads at the moment. If you could have a haggle and meet closer to your number then you'd have a ride that has great parts (very nice Zee brakes, 30mm rims, 170mm 1x drive chain and those Mattoc forks are really, really good) and a killer frame with good geo. Might need to factor in a dropper though. https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/367206-perfect-canadian-enduro-ripping-beast/

Looking about there isn't much in your size / price in the ads at the moment. There is a poorly spec'd Trance that will be found out quickly, a bottom of the range Fuel EX that has low rent components and fork, that Slider is good but that may need a frork and rear can service and could do with an upgrade or two in the near future (add a dropper, wider wheels, brakes, check wear on chain cassette etc maybe beef up the fork in a bit with a pike or mattoc) which will cost alot more. 

I do more or less know the seller....he is weird, has weird friends who do weird things, but loves his bikes....at least that has been my interactions with him.....

. I honestly don't know the seller and I'm not blowing smoke up his pipes but it seems he knows his stuff from the build, the fact he's serviced the fork, rear can and bearings and is throwing in some (good) extras. 

I know the seller well. This bike is in pristine condition all round (normal scuffs, obvs, but limited) and the Mattoc & shock have been serviced properly, very very recently, without any riding afterwards either. It's literally a get on and ride kinda deal. 

Add R 1,500 to the price and it'll come with a dropper, but he is negotiable. 

I do more or less know the seller....he is weird, has weird friends who do weird things, but loves his bikes....at least that has been my interactions with him.....

Yeah, that's pretty much accurate. :lol: