LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Maybe it's 'cos I don't add anything, and I drink my coffee STRONG. As in 3 heaped spoons of Jacobs when instant.

Should I put a bit of cream in it? Maybe?

Will try the Fat shake.

EDIT: Fatshake looks a LOT better. Thanks guys...

There's a big part of the problem... for me anyways, I'm not a Jacobs fan and we are spoiled at work with a very nice coffee machine that grinds the beans and makes very nice coffee. Get some coffee beans / freshly ground coffee and an Aeropress :)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a big part of the problem... for me anyways, I'm not a Jacobs fan and we are spoiled at work with a very nice coffee machine that grinds the beans and makes very nice coffee. Get some coffee beans / freshly ground coffee and an Aeropress :)

+1...love my aeropress and beans from cape coffee beans

Sho had my first fatchake this morning in the cold. Afterwards I could swallow dry cotton without it touching sides or do the sward trick. Maybe because I used a stick blender the butter did not fully dissolve. Maybe I should try the hot version but that would delay me getting on the bike just that much earlier in the morning.

I suppose because I had coffee before I had the shake I could rather try the bullet proof coffee and combine my fat and caffeine intake. I have only heard you guys speak of it. Please post the link to the recipe. Will try the search but in this thread that may also take some time.

Sho had my first fatchake this morning in the cold. Afterwards I could swallow dry cotton without it touching sides or do the sward trick. Maybe because I used a stick blender the butter did not fully dissolve. Maybe I should try the hot version but that would delay me getting on the bike just that much earlier in the morning.

I suppose because I had coffee before I had the shake I could rather try the bullet proof coffee and combine my fat and caffeine intake. I have only heard you guys speak of it. Please post the link to the recipe. Will try the search but in this thread that may also take some time.

If you want to combine the fatshake and coffee then you can maybe try what I do (I do this daily before my training ride instead of chowing something):

75ml cream

50ml CO

25g of KG butter

Half a tsp of Nomu (skinny)

1 cup of coffee

Chuck it into a shaker and then wait till the butter melts (or nuke it for a sec or 2). It’s my version of a fatshake chocochino :blush: Its delicious and quick.

If you want to combine the fatshake and coffee then you can maybe try what I do (I do this daily before my training ride instead of chowing something):

75ml cream

50ml CO

25g of KG butter

1 cup of coffee

Chuck it into a shaker and then wait till the butter melts (or nuke it for a sec or 2). It’s my version of a fatshake chocochino :blush: Its delicious and quick.

Ooooh. Now THAT sounds tasty!

75ml cream

50ml CO

25g of KG butter

1 cup of coffee

Ooooh. Now THAT sounds tasty!

75ml cream

50ml CO

25g of KG butter

1 cup of coffee

That is about my recipe for Fat Shake as well. Nomu and Jacobs Kronung (disolve with hot water), add butter, coco oil (wait till butter and Coco Oil melted), add cream and maybe little milk, reheat to desired temp, stir sommer with teaspoon and enjoy. Highly recommended ;-).

That is about my recipe for Fat Shake as well. Nomu and Jacobs Kronung (disolve with hot water), add butter, coco oil (wait till butter and Coco Oil melted), add cream and maybe little milk, reheat to desired temp, stir sommer with teaspoon and enjoy. Highly recommended ;-).

I assume you okes use the flavourless cocnut oil for this?

I assume you okes use the flavourless cocnut oil for this?

Nope - the regular one. The Nomu/Coffee taste is dominant in the shake.

Did I mention that it tastes good - It does!

Cool what I realized from my own research is to get in the basics as long as there is heaps of fat and then wing the rest to your taste.

Must we use Gerigold or can we use Springbok or Mooiriver butter (unsalted). Is Kerrigold really grass fed. Or are we just being specially nice to the Irish because they helped us in the boer war..lol That stuff is expensive.

I am going on a long out ride tomorrow on almost no carbs. I see some okes mentioned this in previous posts. Will buy some mini-salami and or fatty jagwurst from the german butchery. Will try a BP Coffee at the start and some dried berries and almonds that I crushed myself as a snak.

What else can anyone recommend.

Ok back from the german Butcher. I got some dry Landjagers for lunch and some wet ones for my long distance ride. While browsing the shelves I came across --Griebenschmalz-- which I can only describe as looking exactly like boere kaiings as I know it. I bought it as it is pure fat and could make a good snack. I have made kaiings before so here is how to do it yourself.

1. Go look for the white soft fat of the sheep or lamb. The tail of a fat Karakul sheep works beutifully.

2. Cut the sheeps tail into tiny little pieces evenly sized less than halg a cm by half a cm. If thre are meaty pieces its OK it adds some taste

3. Place the fat in a pot and from low to higher heat start melting the fat. Eventually you will see some solit pieces swimming in transparent liquid. This process takes long so be patient. Wait for the solids to go brown.

4. Be careful and do not use glass at this stage as it will crack. Separate the solids from the liquid using a metal sieve.

5. Add salt to the solids to taste and maybe have a quick fry in a pan if you want them more crispy. The liquid after cooling a bit you can put in glass jars. If you sieved properly you will have a bright white solid. Both products can be kept in the fridge for a very long time.

Before LCHF I used the fat in the jar to fry potatoes. My wife and her Namakwaland family used it as butter on bread with syrup on top... ewwww. It is also not too hard and I am sure will make a good substitution for butter in many recipies.

The Kaiings are good as is, in a salad or mixed in green vegies like leeks, green beans or asparagus.

I am going on a long out ride tomorrow on almost no carbs. I see some okes mentioned this in previous posts. Will buy some mini-salami and or fatty jagwurst from the german butchery. Will try a BP Coffee at the start and some dried berries and almonds that I crushed myself as a snak.

What else can anyone recommend.

What is the aim/purpose of your long low carb ride? Are you in trying to drop weight? Base Training?? If not one of them - use carbs during the ride.

Go back to low carb when you're off the bike.

What is the aim/purpose of your long low carb ride? Are you in trying to drop weight? Base Training?? If not one of them - use carbs during the ride.

Go back to low carb when you're off the bike.

I started a 30 day quest that is now turned into a 40 day quest to go from 92 to 85 kg so fat loss is why I am doing it. I lost 2 kg I hope cos it is an up and down scale reading thus far in 14 days and the first week was more like Oktoberfest for me. Also LCHF is supposed to enhance your capability to render energy from fat. My mother runs comrades and this year she did not do any carb intake compared to the previous 9 years and she said that it was her best ever in the way she felt. If there are carbs let it be natural raw carbs rather than refined processed carbs

I started a 30 day quest that is now turned into a 40 day quest to go from 92 to 85 kg so fat loss is why I am doing it.

If fat loss is the plan, then you ideally need to be exercising at a aerobic (as opposed to anaerobic) level. This is roughly at a heart rate of 180-your age (as per maffetone's formula). If you have been severely carb restricted and are well fat adapted, or have done an RER test to get absolute values, then your aerobic threshold may be a bit higher, but 180-age is a good estimate to enable fat metabolism.

No food before riding, water only on the ride and a balanced amount of fat (80%) and protein (20%) afterwards should give you your best fat burning response.