LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I just had some of NoMU's Skinny Chocolate again. Dammit its good. But what sweeteners do they use?

I just checked the back of their skinny hot chocolate. It is 60% cocoa poweder. This is the sweeteners listed:

Non-nutrative sweeteners

- Sucralose

- Acesulfame K

It also Caramel powder.

Edited by HDW

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked the back of their skinny hot chocolate. It is 60% cocoa poweder. This is the sweeteners listed:

Non-nutrative sweeteners

- Sucralose

- Acesulfame K

It also Caramel powder.

Which is why I use pure cocoa powder. Buy it at the supermarket in the baking isle. Much cheaper too.

can one of you clever LCHF dudes please tell me why sweet potato is often punted as a good low carb food, but normal potatoes aren't when all my research pretty much shows they are very similar in carb content - see below

But in a head-to-head comparison, these two tubers are seemingly very similar. In a 100-gram portion, the white potato has 92 calories, 21 grams of carbs, 2.3 grams of dietary fiber, 2.3 g of protein and 17% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. The same amount of sweet potato, on the other hand, has 90 calories, 21 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, 35% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C and 380% of the daily recommended value of vitamin A.

I would imagine it's due to the glycaemic index of the taters being higher than a sweet potato. Same reason as baby potatoes are preferable to normal ones... And why cold baked spuds are better than warm ones.

I would imagine it's due to the glycaemic index of the taters being higher than a sweet potato. Same reason as baby potatoes are preferable to normal ones... And why cold baked spuds are better than warm ones.

oh ok. thanks

can one of you clever LCHF dudes please tell me why sweet potato is often punted as a good low carb food, but normal potatoes aren't when all my research pretty much shows they are very similar in carb content - see below

But in a head-to-head comparison, these two tubers are seemingly very similar. In a 100-gram portion, the white potato has 92 calories, 21 grams of carbs, 2.3 grams of dietary fiber, 2.3 g of protein and 17% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. The same amount of sweet potato, on the other hand, has 90 calories, 21 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, 35% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C and 380% of the daily recommended value of vitamin A.

Prof Tim Noakes: Sweet potatoes are much better because they have more fibre and less carbohydrate, but still they are pretty full of carbohydrates. One or two sweet potatoes will give you your 25g carbohydrates and for some of us that will be all you can eat. So they’re still pretty full of carbohydrates.

Potatoes are a real problem because they are just glucose. You might as well just go and buy a bag of glucose from the pharmacist and eat that, because that’s the same effect biologically. Your brain and your body doesn’t know whether you just had a bag of glucose or had a potato. The response is the same: you have a huge glucose spike in your bloodstream and a huge insulin spike.

That is what we think is unhealthy. These continuous glucose and insulin spikes, particularly if we have insulin resistance, are what are causing damage to us. So sweet potatoes, one or two week or every second day is fine. Potatoes provide no benefit on this diet at all and they should be cut out of the diet completely.

Prof Tim Noakes: Sweet potatoes are much better because they have more fibre and less carbohydrate, but still they are pretty full of carbohydrates. One or two sweet potatoes will give you your 25g carbohydrates and for some of us that will be all you can eat. So they’re still pretty full of carbohydrates.

Potatoes are a real problem because they are just glucose. You might as well just go and buy a bag of glucose from the pharmacist and eat that, because that’s the same effect biologically. Your brain and your body doesn’t know whether you just had a bag of glucose or had a potato. The response is the same: you have a huge glucose spike in your bloodstream and a huge insulin spike.

That is what we think is unhealthy. These continuous glucose and insulin spikes, particularly if we have insulin resistance, are what are causing damage to us. So sweet potatoes, one or two week or every second day is fine. Potatoes provide no benefit on this diet at all and they should be cut out of the diet completely.

Thanks jcza.

Here's my problem, I am looking for something filling because I feel hungry between meals. Here is my menu today as an example

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with fried tomatoes, 2 strips of fatty bacon, table spoon of cream cheese and some cheddar

Mid Morning Snack - 1 whole avo

Lunch - Chicken livers fried in coconut oil with tomatoes, onions and cream and cream cheese

Afternoon Snack - 3 table spoons of double-cream yoghurt with 2 large chopped up strawberries

Supper will be chicken with broccoli and cauliflower with a creamy cheese sauce

I feel hungry between meals, for instance this morning I had my breakfast at 7.30 and by 9.00 I was hungry. Could it be because I am cheating with some chocolate after dinner most nights? I am craving sweet stuff like never before since I've gone LCHF.

Edited by MTBeer

Thanks jcza.

Here's my problem, I am looking for something filling because I feel hungry between meals. Here is my menu today as an example

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with fried tomatoes, 2 strips of fatty bacon, table spoon of cream cheese and some cheddar

Mid Morning Snack - 1 whole avo

Lunch - Chicken livers fried in coconut oil with tomatoes, onions and cream and cream cheese

Afternoon Snack - 3 table spoons of double-cream yoghurt with 2 large chopped up strawberries

Supper will be chicken with broccoli and cauliflower with a creamy cheese sauce

I feel hungry between meals, for instance this morning I had my breakfast at 7.30 and by 9.00 I was hungry. Could it be because I am cheating with some chocolate after dinner most nights? I am craving sweet stuff like never before since I've gone LCHF.

Include more fat. :thumbup:

Thanks jcza.

Here's my problem, I am looking for something filling because I feel hungry between meals. 

You can try a little experiment to see if more fat would help ....

With/before/just after each meal, drink 20-25ml of olive oil.  Yup, drink it ... like it's medicine. I know the taste takes some getting used to - there are 'low flavour' ones on the market. I like Vesuvius, available from woolworths.

Try this for 4-5 days. If that solves the hunger pangs, then you know your issue is fat.

Macadamia's are a great filling snack but calorie dense to not great for weight loss.

As an aside, and without knowing what your goals are, there is a lot of protein and dairy in your diet. This can have an effect on blood glucose levels causing those cravings you refer to. 

I would first try the olive oil trick and if that does not work, look to reduce the dairy content a bit.

With/before/just after each meal, drink 20-25ml of olive oil.  Yup, drink it ... like it's medicine. I know the taste takes some getting used to - there are 'low flavour' ones on the market. I like Vesuvius, available from woolworths.

Try this for 4-5 days. If that solves the hunger pangs, then you know your issue is fat.

Macadamia's are a great filling snack but calorie dense to not great for weight loss.

As an aside, and without knowing what your goals are, there is a lot of protein and dairy in your diet. This can have an effect on blood glucose levels causing those cravings you refer to. 

I would first try the olive oil trick and if that does not work, look to reduce the dairy content a bit.

:thumbup:

I would first try the olive oil trick and if that does not work, look to reduce the dairy content a bit

Not looking for weight loss just to remain constant while continuing on LCHF. (did lose 7-8kg in first 3 months of LCHF)

Ok, Anal-Annie again :-(  Guys, how do you handle it (mentally and nutritionally) when you are trying to be diligent about a training programme but work stuffs 2-3 days up... i know its not worth getting your knickers in a knot about and its also not worth trying to catch the sessions up... but yoh!  its difficult.

Is it just me?

I have been on and off a LCHF diet for a while now. Every now and then I loose my way and then it takes me a while to get back in.

Could you please assist in posting your "default" menus for a "standard" day?

Something that is easy to follow.

I have been on and off a LCHF diet for a while now. Every now and then I loose my way and then it takes me a while to get back in.

Could you please assist in posting your "default" menus for a "standard" day?

Something that is easy to follow.

Start day with Bike ride. Lekker man (think about my fatshake)

Look forward to my fatshake

Get home and get my fatshake

Breakfast – Chocochino Fatshake (Finally!! Now my day can start)

Drive to work, thinking of the lekker fatty biltong in my bag. Start stressing than I might have forgotten it. Look in my bag, sjoe I remember it. (maybe have a quick taste just to celebrate my brain that I remembered the biltong)

08:00 – Snack like biltong & droewors

Lots of coffee. Smell the cream. Jip, its fine. Ill have some more thank you

Lunch – 2 or 3 pieces  of oven baked chicken(always take two and reward yourself with one more cause you got up so early to go ride. You deserve it dammit!) with green veggies and lots of butter.

Lots of coffee (jip, cream is still fine)

15:00 – snack again. Most of the time its almonds or macadamias

Lots of coffee (set reminder to buy coffee cause I am running low at work for some reason)

18:00 – Not really dinner but something like cream cheese, some fatty chicken or meat

Open coffee that I bought. Have some with cream. Make plan to have this more often

Go to be thinking of my fatshake