LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Besides, the extra salt (generally on LCHF but also when cycling) is a good thing anyway.

Roasted & Salted Macadamias or Almonds are great on a ride. and easy/handy to carry in a 50g packet.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight-loss 'stall' is very common. You still eat what was good when you weighed 9kg more... so some things may have to be adjusted down a bit.

I think the most common issue when weight-loss stalls is the fact that you may simply not be creating a caloric deficit. IE your body has no need to 'shed' extra fat. Many people blame dairy, and in some people it is an alergy thing, but for others it's simply a matter of the fact that dairy products are very KJ rich. Cream is a prime example. If you have cream in your coffee and you end up having more than half a cup of cream for the day, in addition to 3 full LCHF meals. Chances are you are in 'maintenance' mode - IE providing more than enough in your diet for your body to operate, with no need for it to dig into the reserves...

Headaches, mood swings, dizziness.... Sodium. 2g per day.

Try bone broth, or a stock cube, or just simply adding more salt to your food etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Elite athletes are not normal humans! #biology #nutrition #metabolism

#lchf

Dr Bill Lagakos

Do not compare yourself with Tour De France riders.

Edited by L2climb

Are you looking for the perfect supplement that you can actually use on the Banting/LCHF/Ketogenic diet that teaches your body to use fat as fuel and that makes you go further faster on fat?

I’ve found Keto-SA that has a great range of Carbon shakes that is designed specifically for the endurance athlete in transitioning from the overloading of carbs as fuel source to utilizing fat as a fuel source giving you up to 6 hours of sustained energy.

With a great slow release protein, it gives you a sustained supply of great protein for your muscles after your hard race or training session.

You can find more details on http://revolutionfit.co.za/keto-sa-carbon-sports-performance/

Howsit guys, need some advice/help please!

I'm a student in stellies and been banting for 3 weeks now. Been very strict about the amount of carbs I've been eating and staying away from sugar. I started banting because I am quite badly gluten intollerant and have always thought about giving up sugar. After reading an article by Sean, the editor of Tread, about his experience with banting and riding, I decided to try it.

I've been riding since I started banting, roughly 2 to 3 times a week, average of about 25 kms a ride. Busy with exams so I don't have much free time. I've found on my rides that I'm pretty low on energy and climbs that I was cruising up are now taking a lot more out of me. I've also found that my legs are staying stiff/sore for a long time. I can't think of a day in the last three weeks where I haven't noticed my legs, this was never the case before. I could ride 40kms fast and not be stiff the next day.

I don't know if I'm not eating enough fat but I have found that it's quite difficult to actually find the right fat and enough of it.

Anyone got any idea when I should come out of this "sluggish" stage and when my legs should come right again?

Also, what are your guys best fat sources? Preferably something on the cheaper side if possible (student budget).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Simonpurdon

Hi Guys

I have been trying LCHF before and from all of my efforts I seem to the best on this diet with regard to weight loss. I am doing Ultra Trail Cape Town in October and I still need to lose a fair amount of weight.

My problem is the decrease in training when you start on LCHF. So I was thinking of living LCHF and fueling my training with a supplement of sorts. I also read in Paleo Diet for Athletes that this is possible (that you take carbs 15 min before training).

I know the drawback is that you won't get fat adapted but I am nit really interested in getting fat adapted at this stage.....I just want the weight loss.

Have any of you guys tried this and what supplement should I look at i.e USN Epic Pro, 32gi etc.

Thanks

http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist

Really interesting article in response/support of this. Also realising this does come from an M.D., not an expert sports nutritionist, its just another perspective to be aware of.

"Know your engine first,then fuel it appropriately."

No dog in this fight but this should be interesting to those who take diet and cycling seriously. Tim Noakes gets a bit of a backhand whack it seems.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/06/why-you-should-think-twice-before-trying-a-low-carb-high-fat-diet/

Have a protein shake before you ride, works for me!

Hi Guys

I have been trying LCHF before and from all of my efforts I seem to the best on this diet with regard to weight loss. I am doing Ultra Trail Cape Town in October and I still need to lose a fair amount of weight.

My problem is the decrease in training when you start on LCHF. So I was thinking of living LCHF and fueling my training with a supplement of sorts. I also read in Paleo Diet for Athletes that this is possible (that you take carbs 15 min before training).

I know the drawback is that you won't get fat adapted but I am nit really interested in getting fat adapted at this stage.....I just want the weight loss.

Have any of you guys tried this and what supplement should I look at i.e USN Epic Pro, 32gi etc.

Thanks

From Simon above:

Very interesting indeed.  "Know your engine first,then fuel it appropriately."  - "dietary composition during lead up to event" seems to him really important and neglected by us weekend worriers (sic) (me anyway).

The article's comment about athletes and non-athletes - "They over-estimate their carbohydrate requirement" makes me think that Noakes may have done this. Carbo loaded like crazy, weight ballooned and tendency to be diabetic became a factor.  Then he hit radical reverse. 

From Simon above:

Very interesting indeed.  "Know your engine first,then fuel it appropriately."  - "dietary composition during lead up to event" seems to him really important and neglected by us weekend worriers (sic) (me anyway).

The article's comment about athletes and non-athletes - "They over-estimate their carbohydrate requirement" makes me think that Noakes may have done this. Carbo loaded like crazy, weight ballooned and tendency to be diabetic became a factor.  Then he hit radical reverse. 

The fact that a number of professional athletes go low carb up until an event and then seem to use carbs as an added "go" would support the theory in the original article about a ketogenic diet not being able to supply you with enough energy fast enough for a quick burst of speed or power output.

At the end of the day these professionals are spending upwards of R100k on their racing machines with huge amount of sponsorship and other investment in them. I find it hard to believe that they will not also then be benefiting from the absolute best dietary advice. Not to say now that we should all adopt the method of supplementing carbs into the diet, I just think "hardcore"  banting die hards would be fairly ignorant if they didn't acknowledge the merit in doing something like this if your body allows it and responds well to it.

My opinion is that the best method/approach to any diet or nutrition is to first approach the diet/lifestyle objectively. So many people get told about something (I was a prime example of this) and all the benefits, how great it is etc. and dive in head first without reading/discovering counter-arguments or any more information. Second most important is listening to your body and seeing how it responds to different inputs. Sort of like a science experiment, changing one variable at a time until you find your perfect "formula", even if it takes years of experimenting.

Lol,I'm also on the newbie bus,started last week on LCHF, and we (me and my SO), are busy adapting it as a lifestyle,with still a lot to learn. So far I must ad, i love not feeling bloated,but as indicated,loss of energy in the beginning is a big pain in the ass.